Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
May 25, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #7,276 of 7,478
Odyssey was almost made with a wooden chassis. Tomas proposed this initially.

4751_0.jpg

May 25, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #7,277 of 7,478
Jun 1, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #7,279 of 7,478
Odyssey was almost made with a wooden chassis. Tomas proposed this initially.

That's a Hammond enclosure. My Glenn used one just like it. By the way, as much as I love the Telemachus with my ZMF headphones, I can honestly say I have no desire to use it with headphones anymore, given the choice. I've been rocking the speaker taps and OMG, what an experience. I haven't touched my Atriums in 6 months. Just got some new insanely big "bookshelf" speakers in yesterday and put them on my desk and I've been running it all day. I'm in nearfield nirvana right now. RIP Tomas, this amp is the shiznit!

Jun 1, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #7,280 of 7,478
That's a Hammond enclosure. My Glenn used one just like it. By the way, as much as I love the Telemachus with my ZMF headphones, I can honestly say I have no desire to use it with headphones anymore, given the choice. I've been rocking the speaker taps and OMG, what an experience. I haven't touched my Atriums in 6 months. Just got some new insanely big "bookshelf" speakers in yesterday and put them on my desk and I've been running it all day. I'm in nearfield nirvana right now. RIP Tomas, this amp is the shiznit!

Enjoy mate. I have a pair of Axis Voicebox S that is connected to Odyssey or the 300b amp and it's a gorgeous sound but I'm still very much a headphone person. The intimacy is body hugging.

Jun 2, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #7,281 of 7,478
Rolling in Tung Sol 6SN7s for the telemachus 😊

Attachments

• 20230602_132529.jpg
    20230602_132529.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Jun 2, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #7,284 of 7,478
I don’t own any headphones, never enjoyed the way they present sound. I think that part of it is my tendency to listen to live acoustic music. Speakers can do the “they are here in my room” much better than headphones can. And with good recordings speakers can reproduce the physical scale of instruments like grand pianos much better as well.

I have posted several times on this site about using powerful output tubes like 300b for headphones. Always seemed like overkill to me. But people like it so more power to them:)

I will buy my first set of headphones in a long time in the not so distant future. Hoping to explore the world of analog synthesis but I want to spare my housemates the random bleeps, bloops, and noise devolving into bouts of techno lol.

Jun 2, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #7,285 of 7,478
I don’t own any headphones, never enjoyed the way they present sound. I think that part of it is my tendency to listen to live acoustic music. Speakers can do the “they are here in my room” much better than headphones can. And with good recordings speakers can reproduce the physical scale of instruments like grand pianos much better as well.

I have posted several times on this site about using powerful output tubes like 300b for headphones. Always seemed like overkill to me. But people like it so more power to them:)

I will buy my first set of headphones in a long time in the not so distant future. Hoping to explore the world of analog synthesis but I want to spare my housemates the random bleeps, bloops, and noise devolving into bouts of techno lol.

I hear you and understand. But I do love headphones, and will continue to enjoy them from time to time. And I have to disagree on the 300B comment. I'm a believer in these amps for headphones, particularly those that are harder to drive. The headroom that a 300B or 845 provides makes the sound effortless. Conversely, I've not really heard an EL34 or KT88 headphone amp that I really enjoyed so go figure. BUT, the Telemachus is other-wordly when driving efficient speakers. We always talk about acheiving an open, spacious soundstage when evaluating headphones, and nothing gets more open than not having the speakers right on your ears. I have really begun to take a liking to nearfield listening on my desktop. When I work from home no one else is here so I would rather not be tethered with headphones anyway. The size of my latest speaker pushes the limits of sanity when it comes to "desktop" speakers, but I am in love with the synergy of the Zu Audio DWX with the Telemachus 300B SET amp. Tomas said it's about 12.5 watts at 8 ohms, so the 95db/m 12-ohm Zu's present and even easier load. Volume is not an issue at all :wink:

IMG_8407.jpeg

IMG_8408.JPEG

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #7,286 of 7,478
x2! But I do enjoy headphones too, when it gets later in night. Comparing my headphones to speakers, there's not a lot of difference, both good soundstage, resolve etc. Speakers, better realism, but headphones you can hear the intricacies of the detail better possibly, probably due to room resonances with speakers.

Good luck with your choice of headphones BTW.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #7,287 of 7,478
You are sooooo lucky to have one of the few Telemachuses every made, I think 2 or maybe 3. This will be the pinnacle of Sonic's achievements, who knows how great it would have been to see this achieve the greatness it deserves. I was interested in this above all else, the 300B together with some of the newer technologies.

Jun 2, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #7,289 of 7,478
You are sooooo lucky to have one of the few Telemachuses every made, I think 2 or maybe 3. This will be the pinnacle of Sonic's achievements, who knows how great it would have been to see this achieve the greatness it deserves. I was interested in this above all else, the 300B together with some of the newer technologies.

I actually have the first one. It's the one that was orginally featured on his website...when it was live :triportsad:. Site is down now forever. Did anyone happen to save the product pages??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back