Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Sep 26, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #6,436 of 7,481
Sep 26, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #6,437 of 7,481
Finally swap turntable from Denon DP-47f to Rega RP8 with Apheta mc cartridge. Now I'm satisfied. 7 years of upgrade and head-fi and I'm done. Playing Tangerine Dream 'Out of this world' album. The sound is as the album title says. :)

IMG_5047.jpg

Sep 27, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #6,438 of 7,481
In 2017, I entered the vinyl scene. 2 years after I started head-fi and 6 months after buying Yggdrasil, I bought the Rega RP8. I was pretty sure that was a mistake getting into vinyl because the RP8 sat in the lounge untouched most of the time. Since then I had bought some 300 albums new. They are to be my brave Spartans. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

However, things works in mysterious ways. The RP8 now fits in perfectly with Odyssey and Susvara and those LPs are pops and crackles free. I will say without hesitation that the RP8 sounds better than Yggdrasil.

So now I spend a lot of my time spinning these LPs and what I'm hearing out of Susvara is unbelievable. Of course Odyssey is responsible for it.

IMG_5052.jpg

Sep 27, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #6,439 of 7,481
In 2017, I entered the vinyl scene. 2 years after I started head-fi and 6 months after buying Yggdrasil, I bought the Rega RP8. I was pretty sure that was a mistake getting into vinyl because the RP8 sat in the lounge untouched most of the time. Since then I had bought some 300 albums new. They are to be my brave Spartans. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

However, things works in mysterious ways. The RP8 now fits in perfectly with Odyssey and Susvara and those LPs are pops and crackles free. I will say without hesitation that the RP8 sounds better than Yggdrasil.

So now I spend a lot of my time spinning these LPs and what I'm hearing out of Susvara is unbelievable. Of course Odyssey is responsible for it.

IMG_5052.jpg
I got goosebumps just looking at that and the album cover.

Sep 27, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #6,440 of 7,481
I got goosebumps just looking at that and the album cover.

I only discovered Eva Cassidy not that long ago. This is a 4 LPs album and I love her voice ! So many good songs in this album, I get goosebumps listening to her rendition of 'Bridge over troubled waters'. :beyersmile:

Sep 27, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #6,441 of 7,481
The RP8 now fits in perfectly with Odyssey and Susvara and those LPs are pops and crackles free
I was just gonna ask you this question. The pops and crackles are the things holding me back from getting into turntable for a headphone setup. I’m looking into Rega’s system, perhaps a Planar 8 w/ Apheta 3 MC cartridge, RB880 tonearm and Aria V2 phono stage. Your experience is quite encouraging indeed but definitely not good for my wallet if I decide to take the plunge 😅

Sep 27, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #6,442 of 7,481
I was just gonna ask you this question. The pops and crackles are the things holding me back from getting into turntable for a headphone setup. I’m looking into Rega’s system, perhaps a Planar 8 w/ Apheta 3 MC cartridge, RB880 tonearm and Aria V2 phono stage. Your experience is quite encouraging indeed but definitely not good for my wallet if I decide to take the plunge 😅

When the LPs are new and kept clean, pops and crackles should be non existent or to a minimum. You will have to invest in a Ultrasonic record cleaning machine. You're looking at the newer version of the turntable and cartridge of what I have and they are pricey. :relaxed:

At the time of buying the RP8, I wanted to get the Rega Aria phono stage but the shop that I went to, had sold out on that unit. The salesman the showed me the Avid Pellar phono stage which is about the same price. I ask him if it's any good. He then led me into the showroom where music was playing from B&W 802 D2 and the turntable was an Avid turntable. Then he pointed out to me the phono stage used. It's the Avid Pellar. The sound emanating from the Diamond speakers were simply gorgeous and I thought to myself that if the Avid phono stage was part of that superb sound, then I will have it !

I have never regretted getting the Avid Pellar for the RP8. The clarity is astounding and the resolution superb. Getting hooked on vinyl is a good thing. It's a perfect combination with tube amps. With a headphone as resolving as Susvara, you will hear everything and it's alive ! Nothing is more natural sounding than the analogue format.

Sep 27, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #6,443 of 7,481
When the LPs are new and kept clean, pops and crackles should be non existent or to a minimum. You will have to invest in a Ultrasonic record cleaning machine. You're looking at the newer version of the turntable and cartridge of what I have and they are pricey. :relaxed:

At the time of buying the RP8, I wanted to get the Rega Aria phono stage but the shop that I went to, had sold out on that unit. The salesman the showed me the Avid Pellar phono stage which is about the same price. I ask him if it's any good. He then led me into the showroom where music was playing from B&W 802 D2 and the turntable was an Avid turntable. Then he pointed out to me the phono stage used. It's the Avid Pellar. The sound emanating from the Diamond speakers were simply gorgeous and I thought to myself that if the Avid phono stage was part of that superb sound, then I will have it !

I have never regretted getting the Avid Pellar for the RP8. The clarity is astounding and the resolution superb. Getting hooked on vinyl is a good thing. It's a perfect combination with tube amps. With a headphone as resolving as Susvara, you will hear everything and it's alive ! Nothing is more natural sounding than the analogue format.
Yes the sound of vinyl always haunts me everytime I listen to my friend’s 2 channel setup 😄 but what if I don’t have the Ultrasonic cleaning machine? Will manual cleaning be sufficient to keep the pops and crackles at a minimum?

Sep 27, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #6,444 of 7,481
Yes the sound of vinyl always haunts me everytime I listen to my friend’s 2 channel setup 😄 but what if I don’t have the Ultrasonic cleaning machine? Will manual cleaning be sufficient to keep the pops and crackles at a minimum?

When you are investing in that Rega turntable and also as your vinyl collection grows, a cleaning machine is a small investment to make. Generally new LPs don't need to be cleaned for a while. I haven't clean mine for a year. :)

Sep 27, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #6,445 of 7,481
When you are investing in that Rega turntable and also as your vinyl collection grows, a cleaning machine is a small investment to make. Generally new LPs don't need to be cleaned for a while. I haven't clean mine for a year. :)
Hahahaha…..my concern is the availability of the product here in my country 😁

I’ll ask around on that ultrasonic cleaning machine 👍🏼

Sep 27, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #6,446 of 7,481
I only discovered Eva Cassidy not that long ago. This is a 4 LPs album and I love her voice ! So many good songs in this album, I get goosebumps listening to her rendition of 'Bridge over troubled waters'. :beyersmile:
This is one of many...

Sep 27, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #6,447 of 7,481
I'm not sure if her Live at Blues Alley album is on vinyl, but I highly recommend picking that up if it is!

Sep 27, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #6,448 of 7,481
I'm not sure if her Live at Blues Alley album is on vinyl, but I highly recommend picking that up if it is!

The Nightbird album is that...

Nightbird is Eva Cassidy’s ultimate tour-de-force...31 songs recorded in one night at the Blues Alley jazz club in Georgetown, DC. Encompassing the full spectrum of Eva’s gospel, blues, jazz and folk roots, Nightbird showcases the breadth and depth of one of the world’s finest singers.

Sep 27, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #6,450 of 7,481
And this whole time I've been missing out!
Me too! I didn't realize that, I thought it was just another compilation album. Glad she's getting some recognition she deserves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back