Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Mar 14, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #1,441 of 7,484
Voltage switch in the back guarantees no accidents due to trying to change impedance, and by mistake switching to 25V and frying your 6SN7... :wink:
The truth is that the GOTL will not turn on if you inserted a driver tube and applied the wrong voltage. However, this safety feature only works if do not use adapters.

Mar 14, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #1,442 of 7,484
Also this makes me curious - if the power output doesn't change much with tubes, does that in a way mean that tube rolling on this amp doesn't make quite as much a difference as with the likes of a traditional OTL amp? In many cases I recall tube rolling on other amps not only changed characteristics like tonality, soundstage and extension, but also dynamics/'slam' and I think this dynamic change had something to do with rolling tubes that synergize better/worse with certain headphones according to their varying power output.
Thanks for the kind words Levi!

Well, I was generalizing. Power output will change with different tubes but its not something you'll notice with headphone listening.
Since the bias current will stay the same, the power output will rely on available signal voltage swing. That swing is set by bias voltage (in peak to peak) x mu (gain) of the tube.
This amp will have plenty of power for headphones regardless of tube config. You will notice difference in sound from tube rolling.

One more thing - for the others here would you mind to explain in your own words the function of the two smaller knobs on the front plate?
The left knob is to select the speaker and pre-amp outputs and the right knob is the impedance switch.
The speaker/pre-amp switch has three positions: OFF/speaker/pre-amp
The impedance switch has also three positions: OFF/low/high

- you should reverse measuring point in (toward front)/out (to the back)
Not a problem. To me that doesn't matter.

- have 6j5 socket more in the front (but the big front vue-meter takes space)
Not possible without moving basically everything around. When I plan the layouts I do so with both aesthetics and wire management for least amount of noise/hum in mind. Personally, I like the layout as is.

- will you replace embossed labels ?
It's the only type of label maker I have. I use it as it fits the retro theme of a tube amp. We don't have to use labels on your amp.

Regarding switches at the back. It's a matter of space also. Not everything will fit on the front panel. You could of course mount switches on the top plate as well.

Btw, @DecentLevi your amp has three different heater windings. Rather than paralleling all of them I kept them separate like this:
Output tubes: 5.4A
6J5 sockets: 3.8A
6SN7 socket: 2.5A

Mar 14, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #1,443 of 7,484
This is exactly the kind of technical/functional design done without taking care of different usage.

GOTL is a custom amp and one can always discussed with Glenn where you want those switches - if that is possible though because as Tomas say, space constraints in the front and layout of wiring, etc.

As a matter of fact, very few will sit their GOTL on the higher shelf of tall rack. Understand that some will but as I said, custom amp means you can discussed with the amp builder your requests to see if it's possible.

Anyway I'm digressing here as it's not the GOTL thread. I guess we are just using that as an example.

Not possible without moving basically everything around. When I plan the layouts I do so with both aesthetics and wire management for least amount of noise/hum in mind. Personally, I like the layout as is.

I like the Levi's Infinity layout too so I'll nod in total agreement. :) It looks great. I wouldn't change a thing. I know you plan through and give a lot of thought to the layout before the actual build commence.

It's the only type of label maker I have. I use it as it fits the retro theme of a tube amp. We don't have to use labels on your amp.

Regarding switches at the back. It's a matter of space also. Not everything will fit on the front panel. You could of course mount switches on the top plate as well.

I was kidding of course with the label marker when I chip in to Hpamdr's suggestion. To me that is very minor. Other amp builders does that too. To look really good, one has to pay a lot to have it engraved and I can't see the necessity for that.

I won't have anymore switches in the front apart from the 3 knobs and 2 meters. Simplicity in looks is the key for me and aesthetics is important when you're paying for a custom amp. In any case, Odyssey will sit on the top of the low shelf, where every switches is easily accessible. I think about ergonomics in my music setup too.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #1,446 of 7,484
In infinity no switch on the back so for me this is perfect ! The criticism for design is not for you as i have not seen any issue with your amplifier. It was more for commercial product where you have back switch, missing info,...

The look of infinity is really great and I'm pretty sure it sound very gorgeous !

I'm just jealous as I've to wait to get the first picture of my eternity with all the plugs, transformer, switches, trim, knob, socket placement back, top, front.

About label it is not an issue for me, i will replace (or not) with printed one on transparent film or just write with a silver pen.

Mar 15, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #1,447 of 7,484
I'm just jealous as I've to wait to get the first picture of my eternity with all the plugs, transformer, switches, trim, knob, socket placement back, top, front.

Waiting is not a problem for me. As long as I get my amp before Christmas and not on the 23rd of Dec again. :ksc75smile: That's the date I got Oblivion... 2019 I think. Realistically I expect Odyssey in July / August 2021.

Oblivion and Elekit combo is keeping me very satisfied, Plus I can burn in my NOS tubes while listening to music while waiting for my build to commence.

Mar 15, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #1,448 of 7,484
Tomas really likes the EL39 as well as KT66 on mine, and said it's a silent background.
IMG_20210315_085018.jpg

IMG_20210315_091134.jpg

Mar 15, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #1,450 of 7,484
These are also very nice, Telefunken EL12 spez.

IMG_20210315_100911.jpg

IMG_20210315_100922.jpg

I also like a lot EL39 it look so nice and pair also very well with most of the tube i have and specially EL11.
The EL11's Levi sent me was very microphonic. Not sure if it was the dual EL11 -> 6SN7 adapter or the tubes though..

Mar 15, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #1,451 of 7,484
These are also very nice, Telefunken EL12 spez.

IMG_20210315_100911.jpg

IMG_20210315_100922.jpg

The EL11's Levi sent me was very microphonic. Not sure if it was the dual EL11 -> 6SN7 adapter or the tubes though..
I had some issue with dual adapter from X'g, and if you have microphonic noise specially due to vibration you can use silicone damper. It ialso possible mount socket with silicone/rubber silentblock to decouple a bit..

Did you also tested EL3N in input ?

Mar 15, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #1,452 of 7,484
I'm getting excited now. I have dedicated sockets for EL11. Go EL12 spez ! How about some KT88, EL34 or KT77 ?

EL156 ? :ksc75smile:

Plonk in a KT150.

Mar 15, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #1,453 of 7,484
I had some issue with dual adapter from X'g, and if you have microphonic noise specially due to vibration you can use silicone damper. It ialso possible mount socket with silicone/rubber silentblock to decouple a bit..
I don't like those dual adapters at all. The best adapter is no adapter!
Did you also tested EL3N in input ?
I didn't as I don't have the adapter for it, unfortunately.

I'm getting excited now. I have dedicated sockets for EL11. Go EL12 spez ! How about some KT88, EL34 or KT77 ?

EL156 ? :ksc75smile:

Plonk in a KT150.
Haha, I would if I had the tubes on hand. Maybe you can send me some? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back