Mar 14, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #1,427 of 7,481
First Infinity for sale is now complete! @DecentLevi
This one has the tube rolling add-on. Here with KT66's and 6J5G's

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0027.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG
The picture are fantastic and this amp looks awesome. The work on the chassis is really professional looking :thumbsup:
I hope it sound as good as it looks.
I like the trimmers and the measuring point. I just have some small remarks (if the amp was for me):
- you should reverse measuring point in (toward front)/out (to the back)
- have 6j5 socket more in the front (but the big front vue-meter takes space)
- will you replace embossed labels ?

Mar 14, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #1,428 of 7,481
What are the functions of all the toggle switches?
This is going off on my Oblivion...

Left switch is the speakers on / off switch. When it's on and you have the headphone jack plug in, both speakers and headphone are 'on'. Speakers off is self explanatory.

Right switch is the impedance switch - with headphone, switching it to the right, the sound is louder. Conversely switching it to the left, the sound is softer. Kind of a gain switch to me.

Tomas can confirm it.

Mar 14, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #1,429 of 7,481
Now with the impedance switch to the right and volume at 9am, my LCD-3f is singing !!!

@paramesh this Oblivion is not for sale ! Both of my planar magnetic headphones have never sounded better. :)

On switching over to the He1000se..... I've arrived at Nirvana. :)

I miss @MrCurwen. Come back !

Mar 14, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #1,431 of 7,481
Eargasm with Yggdrasil > Oblivion > He1000se. I fear for Odyssey with it Sowters iron, Mundorf caps and Yamamoto sockets, that it might not keep up with Oblivion. :rolling_eyes:

Tomas do you think Odyssey will keep up with Oblivion? Both are 'O' ! :smile_phones:

I've ask Tomas to additionally include a switch behind, to toggle between xlr and rca input of Odyssey. xlr input is for Yggdrasil and rca input is for my turntable.

In his words...
I can include a toggle switch at the back to select between RCA and XLR. That way you don't have to unplug anything.
Without the switch some signal would leak out the RCA inputs if you use the XLR for example.

IMG_2031.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #1,432 of 7,481
Good point about having the 6J5 sockets a little closer towards the front, maybe that would be better for looks and heat dissipation but no biggie and it's already drilled in so I'll leave it. The bigger output tubes are on the outside maybe also looking a bit different but that's especially for heat dissipation. Hpamdr did you mean to reverse the in/out measuring points on the right side? For the Trimmer I'd rather have it towards the front. I'm a somewhat fast paced tube roller. I have no need to replace the embossed labels.

For the other question, we'll leave it to Tomas.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #1,434 of 7,481
In his words...
I can include a toggle switch at the back to select between RCA and XLR. That way you don't have to unplug anything.
Without the switch some signal would leak out the RCA inputs if you use the XLR for example.
When you plug your turntable, do you have a dedicated Phono input stage with transformer ?
I do not have any analog input since i switched to CD with my first Micromega Stage2 cd player.

I personally do not like back switch except for input voltage selector. When you get your amp, you put it on a dedicated place where all fits well. But if you have new device and change location, the back manipulation start to be not as convenient. This is the case with my F.A. Euforia and a Dac both have power button on the back ant it start to be painful fiddling around in the back to turn on and off. I've never had any issues when both were on the top of my side rack.

This is why i prefer front or top switch where you always have some space for safe manipulation (unless you switch with Hot tubes). But as all is custom, this is your choice !

Mar 14, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #1,435 of 7,481
I have a phono stage. The Elekit TU-8500 is a preamp / phono stage. I left my Avid Pellar phono stage back in Sydney with the Rega RP8.

I did think about having the switch in the front but that will spoil the looks. Besides I don't think I'll be switching between the dac and turntable very often. Yggdrasil has it's power switch at the back. :wink:

GOTL has the 6/12/25 volt switch behind. Some things we have to live with being put behind.

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #1,436 of 7,481
WOW!! To Infinity.. and beyond.. in search of new civilizations, the starship enterprise never stays still.

Beautiful brushed aluminium front and perfectly complemented by matt black top and side plates.. what's not to like :). I imagine it sounds as good as it looks, in which case it must sound awesome!

Lets have some impressions soon!

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #1,437 of 7,481
WOW!! To Infinity.. and beyond.. in search of new civilizations, the starship enterprise never stays still.

Beautiful brushed aluminium front and perfectly complemented by matt black top and side plates.. what's not to like :). I imagine it sounds as good as it looks, in which case it must sound awesome!

Tomas has an eye for aesthetics. I just read back his first conversation with me back in 27th Oct 2019. That fateful day when he ask me if I would review Oblivion if he send it to me. If that didn't happen, I would have miss out on the best part of my audio journey.

I now await to be surprise again with Odyssey and I know Tomas will surprise me. This is supposed to be my last amp. I had scout around for a custom amp builder and there were a few I had in mind. I was even contemplating an improved DNA Stratus that Donald told me in my private conversation with him but I decided that Tomas will build Odyssey for me. It will be the sequel to Oblivion. Well not quite. They are 2 very different amps.

Mar 14, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #1,438 of 7,481
I have a phono stage. The Elekit TU-8500 is a preamp / phono stage. I left my Avid Pellar phono stage back in Sydney with the Rega RP8.

I did think about having the switch in the front but that will spoil the looks. Besides I don't think I'll be switching between the dac and turntable very often. Yggdrasil has it's power switch at the back. :wink:

GOTL has the 6/12/25 volt switch behind. Some things we have to live with being put behind.
I have the GOTL with the 6/12/25V switch in the back. Perhaps it looks better like that, but I would much rather have it in front because it is not possible to see it when the amp is on a rack, and it is also very difficult to reach it when the amp is rack mounted. Not to speak about burning yourself (OUCH!) reaching for the switch and tubes blown up because I forgot to look - no, make that feel, for the position of the switch.

Mar 14, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #1,439 of 7,481

I have the GOTL with the 6/12/25V switch in the back. Perhaps it looks better like that, but I would much rather have it in front because it is not possible to see it when the amp is on a rack, and it is also very difficult to reach it when the amp is rack mounted. Not to speak about burning yourself (OUCH!) reaching for the switch and tubes blown up because I forgot to look - no, make that feel, for the position of the switch.
This is exactly the kind of technical/functional design done without taking care of different usage. This is what i also have in CTH both on/off switch and also 6.3/12.6 on the back... As i do not see the warning about heating voltage i've sometime over heated some tube fortunately seing glow very bright alert me... I finally added a small label warning of heating voltage...

Mar 14, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #1,440 of 7,481
Voltage switch in the back guarantees no accidents due to trying to change impedance, and by mistake switching to 25V and frying your 6SN7... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back