Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Nov 7, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #121 of 7,481
If you find that the Universe perforated leather pads are too rolled off at the top end, give the Universe perforated suede pads a try. I found that the suede version adds that last bit of clarity and sparkle to music. Works really well with the Oblivion.

2 pads came with my Verite. Of the 2, I prefer the Verite flat lambskin pads because of the better high end extensions and treble sweetness, airiness and wider soundstage. Feels lighter too. So yeah I've not been using the Universe pads for a while but rather using the thinner Verite flat pads.

Whilst it's not totally accurate, Verite Open does seem to encompass the best of HD800, LCD-3f and Focal Uotpia. I still have the HD800, have owned the LCD-3f and heard the Utopia multiple times.

Some of the bass heavy headphones like the Fostex- TH900, are just not for me. Did like the LCD4 though because it's clearer at the top end and not so skewed bass heavy. Can't make up my mind on the Abyss though. Did like it on the Woo WA5. Heard the Susvara with WA33 once - very different and an impressive tone. Need to hear it again because it was too short an audition.

Did like the Verite now though after having it for 3 months now. Like it with all my 3 tube amps. Occasionally I still use the HD800.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #122 of 7,481
2 pads came with my Verite. Of the 2, I prefer the Verite flat lambskin pads because of the better high end extensions and treble sweetness, airiness and wider soundstage. Feels lighter too. So yeah I've not been using the Universe pads for a while but rather using the thinner Verite flat pads.

Whilst it's not totally accurate, Verite Open does seem to encompass the best of HD800, LCD-3f and Focal Uotpia. I still have the HD800, have owned the LCD-3f and heard the Utopia multiple times.

Some of the bass heavy headphones like the Fostex- TH900, are just not for me. Did like the LCD4 though because it's clearer at the top end and not so skewed bass heavy. Can't make up my mind on the Abyss though. Did like it on the Woo WA5. Heard the Susvara with WA33 once - very different and an impressive tone. Need to hear it again because it was too short an audition.

Did like the Verite now though after having it for 3 months now. Like it with all my 3 tube amps. Occasionally I still use the HD800.

Verite pads will work perfectly. It’s brighter than the Universe pads and that goes well with the Oblivion. The Universe perf pads can come across somewhat dark.

Nov 7, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #123 of 7,481
@UntilThen
Did some work today. The back panel is now complete. This is the busiest back panel I've made. Not much room left :)

20191107_214437_HDR.jpg 20191107_214333_HDR.jpg

Nov 8, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #127 of 7,481
I see that I am not the only person that likes the Russian capacitors. They are really good for the price.
Yeah! I use exclusively Russian film caps. They're very good and highly underrated voltage wise. If you run them at spec or lower voltage they last forever I think. Only downside is the size.

Nov 8, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #128 of 7,481
Yeah! I use exclusively Russian film caps. They're very good and highly underrated voltage wise. If you run them at spec or lower voltage they last forever I think. Only downside is the size.

Pictures of the Russian film caps please..... or anything else you could share. :)

Nov 8, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #129 of 7,481
Pictures of the Russian film caps please..... or anything else you could share. :)
In the pic above of the back panel those red caps are Russian MBGO film caps. Those are used in the regulators for B+ and B- supplies.
I also use some other types of Russian caps. I can snap some pics later when I get home :)

Nov 8, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #130 of 7,481
These K73 caps are allround caps I use in the power supplies and also for the gyrator plate loads.
20191108_133216.jpg

I use MBGO in both power supplies and as parafeed caps. These are waxed paper so no oil that can possibly leak. I have some oil caps too. Will show next.
20191108_133435.jpg 20191108_133255.jpg

Here's Russian KBG caps I've used for coupling. These are the best, next to silver mica, Russian caps there is. They're getting very rare though. These are filled with toxic oil.
20191108_133634.jpg

These are also pio, K42Y-2 and more readily available than the KBG's.
20191108_133736.jpg

I used to have a thing for large caps. Look at this beauty! It's HUGE :) Not practical to use though. I had a pair of these as parafeed in the SE build I did before I rebuilt it. Great caps but no reason to use them. It sounds just as good with MBGO's.
20191108_133910_HDR.jpg

I got many more as well. You can never have enough Russian caps, lol :)

Nov 8, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #132 of 7,481
That's good! Please form your own opinion. I know it's hard not to get affected by other impressions.

Almost forgot to reply to this. Trying to stay un-bias before the arrival of Oblivion is my aim. :) However when the first post made mention of Oblivion's clarity compared to WA33, that made me sit up. I've heard Susvara with WA33 at the Sydney HiFi show about 2 years ago and it's an impression that has not left me.

Nov 8, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #133 of 7,481
Almost forgot to reply to this. Trying to stay un-bias before the arrival of Oblivion is my aim. :) However when the first post made mention of Oblivion's clarity compared to WA33, that made me sit up. I've heard Susvara with WA33 at the Sydney HiFi show about 2 years ago and it's an impression that has not left me.
Congratulations on your incoming Oblivion.
Even though you're going off of memory from 2yrs ago, I'd like to hear your impressions of the Oblivion in comparison to the "impression that has not left you" with the Abyss/WA33.

Enjoy!

Nov 9, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #134 of 7,481
Congratulations on your incoming Oblivion.
Even though you're going off of memory from 2yrs ago, I'd like to hear your impressions of the Oblivion in comparison to the "impression that has not left you" with the Abyss/WA33.

Enjoy!

It's the Susvara with WA33 not the Abyss. :) It's a tone unlike anything I've heard before. It's deep and haunting with a killer clarity and details. It's only a fleeting impression as it's a HiFi Show ... so my memory may have faded. :)

Unless I can pay Addicted To Audio a visit and get them to demo that setup for me again.... after all I did buy Yggy, Rggy, HD800 and LCD-2f all within 2 months from them in 2017. :)

Nov 9, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #135 of 7,481
My mistake when replying, I meant Susvara.
I had the Susvara and own the WA33 and they did sound sound excellent together, but I actually preferred the HE1Kv2 over the Susvara.
I hear nothing but positive about the Oblivion, so still would like to hear your impressions after sufficient time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back