Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Nov 27, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #7,426 of 7,484
I agree. :)

In the design stage, Tomas and I talk about using a wooden chassis but I wanted something to match with my grey Telefunken EL11 and EL12 spez tubes. That's when Tomas suggested this silver chassis. Match with the Hammond and Sowter transformers too.

Then there's Marlon's black Odyssey. Both are stunning looking and they are the only 2 Odyssey in the world. They are quite different actually. His use different drivers.
Ahem, mine is an Odyssey as well Black too. And very different!

Nov 27, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #7,428 of 7,484
With all due respect, yours is so different it should have a different name but whatever Tomas wants to call it. Again yours is one of a kind in the world.
Oh yeah, I remember we were talking about possible names here and Tomas quashed it. I thought the same thing, should have had a different name. Oh well.

On the one hand it's really cool to have a unique amp. On the other hand it's a bit lonely, nobody else to talk to about specific tubes combos:frowning2: Still, I'm glad Tomas was mad enough to build it. I don't think anyone else would have. Even if they did it probably wouldn't be at this quality level.

Nov 28, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #7,429 of 7,484
Oh yeah, I remember we were talking about possible names here and Tomas quashed it. I thought the same thing, should have had a different name. Oh well.

On the one hand it's really cool to have a unique amp. On the other hand it's a bit lonely, nobody else to talk to about specific tubes combos:frowning2: Still, I'm glad Tomas was mad enough to build it. I don't think anyone else would have. Even if they did it probably wouldn't be at this quality level.

You'll never be lonely here talking about them. Your push pull Odyssey has more tube combinations than any other amps on the planet.

With the caveat that it be operated by someone who knows what they are doing.

Nov 28, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #7,430 of 7,484
I took a break from using Odyssey while I was engrossed with Ultimate. Returning to it now is a breath of fresh air. :) How could I keep the 596 rectifier in the drawer. It's meant to be used. :)

IMG_8125.jpg

Jan 17, 2024 at 1:25 AM Post #7,436 of 7,484
Jan 17, 2024 at 1:33 AM Post #7,437 of 7,484
Jan 17, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #7,438 of 7,484
Same case as Odyssey. All socket holes were drilled by him using quality drill.
Enclosures Are a huge part of the end cost of commercially made amplifiers.Tomas’s approach does not scale at all but artisan object making never does. He really was a unique builder. Great designs and impeccable case work. I wonder what ever happened to that 6bg6 amp. I assume that if people ever do want to part with their Ultrasonic Studios amp they would most likely sell them on this site. I might be willing to buy a silver Odyssey even if just for the case!

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #7,440 of 7,484
Tomas use the same silver case for Citadel.

In the planning stage for Odyssey, I chose the name and Tomas proposed a wooden case for the old school amp. However I plan to use it mainly with the grey tubes EL11 and EL12 spez and ask Tomas if wood would clash with grey. He then said that he know just the case for it - the study silver case and grey will be a killer look. As it turned out, he was right. It’s still a beauty in my eyes.

I was so looking forward to another bigger silver casework for Telemachus but was disappointed it never eventuated. I am no longer disappointed because losing an amp is nothing compared to losing a friend.

Odyssey was supposed to be my last tube amp, the finale. Tomas ask me what’s my budget for it and I said I have no budget for it. Whatever the cost, so the eventual choice of Sowter over Lundahl transformers and Yamamoto sockets. It will remain a ‘treasure’ and mark not for sale. 😊

Then I got a gold Ultimate to soothe the lost of Telemachus and together with the black Oblivion, I have reached the end of my tube amp journey. Finally nirvana with my trinity amps and time to put the feet up and enjoy the music. 😇

I am pretty sure that I can sing ‘I did it my way’ better than Frank Sinatra now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back