Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Sep 30, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #6,481 of 7,539
I went more towards the comfort zone: I've encoded all my CD collection to FLAC. Having thousands of albums needs time to organize. And lately, many of them come directly in digital format. I've stored them on SSD on my PC and connected the DAC via USB and a JCAT USB XE card powered externally via an LPS. Sounds fine for me. Of course, we can go to vinyl or tape or whatever, but I am complicating too much my already complicated life and I'll find 1% of my existing collection in that format. LOL

Sep 30, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #6,482 of 7,539
Speaking of analogue, have you had experience listening to tape reel? I hear its the ultimate in analogue
Back in the stone ages, I used 1/4” 4 track tape to record my noodling on Moogs in college. Used razor blades and tape for editing, made tape loops with mic stands etc… Never really thought about “quality” of the format other than it was noticeably better than cassette. I didn’t really understand the capabilities of tape until I used a Nagra III for location sound work. 1/4” mono (that’s equivalent to 1/2” stereo if you’re counting at home) on a world class recorder stunned me. I wasn’t doing music recording but the fidelity and sound quality was unlike anything else I had heard until the advent of attainable quality digital recording equipment.

Analog production and end products are certainly capable of amazing quality as long as you are willing to be meticulous and embrace the limitations of editing. Ever try doing an unsharp mask in a darkroom?

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/unsharp/

Analog prints using that process are stunning but good Lord, who wants to do that?

The best LP I have ever heard was “The King James Version” by Harry James. It was recorded direct to disk. That means the recording signal went directly from the mixer to the cutting lathe, no tape between the master and the stamping. Amazing. Of course there was no editing possible and the original master wears out faster than a tape would. So yeah, amazing sound but meticulous craftsmanship is required and a reduced pressing is the result.

Just like darkroom work, you have to meticulous about dust if you’re going to enjoy LPs long term. At least analog prints can be “spotted” to correct dust spots, no such luck with LPs. Once that pop is there, it is there forever.

I sold off all of my LPs a decade ago. I was tired of schlepping them around in my moves. I was also tired of the constant upkeep of both the records and the stylus to avoid damage. I enjoyed LPs and I enjoy digital now.

Sep 30, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #6,483 of 7,539
Back in the stone ages, I used 1/4” 4 track tape to record my noodling on Moogs in college. Used razor blades and tape for editing, made tape loops with mic stands etc… Never really thought about “quality” of the format other than it was noticeably better than cassette. I didn’t really understand the capabilities of tape until I used a Nagra III for location sound work. 1/4” mono (that’s equivalent to 1/2” stereo if you’re counting at home) on a world class recorder stunned me. I wasn’t doing music recording but the fidelity and sound quality was unlike anything else I had heard until the advent of attainable quality digital recording equipment.

Analog production and end products are certainly capable of amazing quality as long as you are willing to be meticulous and embrace the limitations of editing. Ever try doing an unsharp mask in a darkroom?

https://www.largeformatphotography.info/unsharp/

Analog prints using that process are stunning but good Lord, who wants to do that?

The best LP I have ever heard was “The King James Version” by Harry James. It was recorded direct to disk. That means the recording signal went directly from the mixer to the cutting lathe, no tape between the master and the stamping. Amazing. Of course there was no editing possible and the original master wears out faster than a tape would. So yeah, amazing sound but meticulous craftsmanship is required and a reduced pressing is the result.

Just like darkroom work, you have to meticulous about dust if you’re going to enjoy LPs long term. At least analog prints can be “spotted” to correct dust spots, no such luck with LPs. Once that pop is there, it is there forever.

I sold off all of my LPs a decade ago. I was tired of schlepping them around in my moves. I was also tired of the constant upkeep of both the records and the stylus to avoid damage. I enjoyed LPs and I enjoy digital now.
The Sheffield Labs LPs are wonderful: I especially like the Dave Grusin !

Sep 30, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #6,484 of 7,539
@SonicTrance I’ve changed my mind. I want my power supply to be a direct replica of this one.

Dual 6 anode mercury rectifiers, a power transformer so big it has to be in the basement, and 240 amp max load. I’ll be able to run whatever tube I want!

This video is amazing though, shows what was needed at the beginning of the electrical era. Also does a great job of showing that vacuum tubes were much more than audio back in the day, they were everything electronic!

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #6,485 of 7,539
Sure thing, If you fly here we will introduce you to the Cult of Ultrasonic Indonesia Chapter :beyersmile:

I just learn that there is a store there that carries the Oblivion amp and ZMF headphones, etc. https://www.beyondthemusicid.com/

So joining this cult, am I free to leave when I want to? Or is it a case of ''You can check in anytime but you can never leave". :)

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #6,487 of 7,539

Meticulous is the word. If an LP isn't too dirty, it can be clean with Ultrasonic cleaners to eliminate pops. If it gets too bad, it's time to bin it. Hearing new LPs with a clean stylus is a joy. A capable phono stage is important too. Turntable, cartridge, stylus and phono stage, it's all a package.... and your LPs.

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #6,488 of 7,539
I went more towards the comfort zone: I've encoded all my CD collection to FLAC. Having thousands of albums needs time to organize. And lately, many of them come directly in digital format. I've stored them on SSD on my PC and connected the DAC via USB and a JCAT USB XE card powered externally via an LPS. Sounds fine for me. Of course, we can go to vinyl or tape or whatever, but I am complicating too much my already complicated life and I'll find 1% of my existing collection in that format. LOL

I have what you have too. Music on FLAC files stored on SSD. Also have Tidal and Qobuz. To my aging ears, I can still hear how much better vinyl sound compared to my digital source. But enough of me preaching vinyl. Get back to enjoying your tube amps !

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #6,489 of 7,539
I have what you have too. Music on FLAC files stored on SSD. Also have Tidal and Qobuz. To my aging ears, I can still hear how much better vinyl sound compared to my digital source. But enough of me preaching vinyl. Get back to enjoying your tube amps !
I am fully convinced that you are right, but some of the underground bands I am listening to never released a vinyl album. So, I have to adapt.

Later edit: Do not forget about the JCAT USB XE card, it made a huge improvement on my system.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #6,490 of 7,539
Remember, SSDs work with charged cells, that over time may dissipate if the drive is not used regularly.

I would suggest you use a "traditional" platter hard drive for archival uses. Transfer speeds though low, are still more than enough to play any quality of FLAC.

Sep 30, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #6,491 of 7,539
Remember, SSDs work with charged cells, that over time may dissipate if the drive is not used regularly.

I would suggest you use a "traditional" platter hard drive for archival uses. Transfer speeds though low, are still more than enough to play any quality of FLAC.
I have a backup server with normal drives in RAID 10. Thanks.

Oct 1, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #6,492 of 7,539
I just learn that there is a store there that carries the Oblivion amp and ZMF headphones, etc. https://www.beyondthemusicid.com/

So joining this cult, am I free to leave when I want to? Or is it a case of ''You can check in anytime but you can never leave". :)

That's correct! well spotted. Not sure how they got talking in the first place

it's more like "you can check in anytime but you don't want to leave":beyersmile:

You will see a variety of Ultrasonic Amps, ones with the standard config. But most of them have some form of a unique feature. Such as the most recent oblivion that looks like Citadel. Most people here have figured out that Boutique amps are the way to go for end-game.

Oct 1, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #6,493 of 7,539
Ha no! I can see why it's potentially superior to vinyl. I won't be spending a fortune I haven't got on purchasing tapes or equipment though! I get the arguments on naturalness and warmth etc., but I like the convenience, and longevity of CD's and when paired with a good tube amp to put in a touch of warmth I don't really see much reason to change.

Yeah convenience is big factor, especially if you live in an apartment. I usually stream using Qobuz - it has actual high-res files and its music suggestion algorithm has really come a long way since last year. It actually suggests songs that are not just of the same genre, but have the same vibe and rhythm when you finish an album.

For the albums I REALLY like I would download them in DSD on HDTracks. I realise this is a huge burden in terms of memory storage and sometimes the DAC can be a bit flaky when playing these large files. The improvements from 192 kHz file is really marginal but I don't mind going the extra mile for more 'special' recordings.

Oct 1, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #6,494 of 7,539
That's correct! well spotted. Not sure how they got talking in the first place

it's more like "you can check in anytime but you don't want to leave":beyersmile:

You will see a variety of Ultrasonic Amps, ones with the standard config. But most of them have some form of a unique feature. Such as the most recent oblivion that looks like Citadel. Most people here have figured out that Boutique amps are the way to go for end-game.

You mean there's more than Oblivion there?

Oct 1, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #6,495 of 7,539
@Isaacc7
I usually don't post pics mid build but thought I'd make an exception here. Mainly to show Isaac of course.

This is the push pull version of Odyssey with manual grid bias. The four output sockets are in the back row and driver tubes at the front. Below each output tube socket you have a trimmer to adjust the negative grid voltage. The red measuring terminals is for external voltmeter to read that voltage. There's only one black terminal as it's just ground anyway.
In between each pair of output tubes there's a little toggle switch. Toggle to the left to measure the anode current of the left tube on the mA meter and toggle to the right to see the anode current of the right tube on the meter.
In the middle there's a panel voltmeter and below it is a trimmer. Here you adjust the B+ (also anode voltage). The range will be around 240V-400V.
The two large toggle switches are for the heaters. Up is 6.3V and down is 12.6V. One switch for driver tube sockets and one for output tube sockets.

Isaac, do you need me to label everything or can I leave it as is? I think the "clean" look would get destroyed as there would be lots of labels lol :)

Btw, this is the heaviest amp I've built to date! That Monolith PT is a beast! The amp weighs 26.5kg as it is now even without bottom cover and lots of components missing!

IMG_1386.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back