Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Dec 24, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #211 of 7,484
Just played a few LPs. Love Over Gold by Dire Straits, A Deeper Understanding by War On Drugs, The Wall by Pink Floyd. It's a very enjoyable sound using Oblivion. Open, clear, airy and the bass is how it should be. With impact without being overdone. There's a snappiness to the tone and it's lively. No trace or hint of glare. As with headphone, what's coming from the speakers exhibit a nice tube tone with very good details and imaging. Depending on the recording of the LPs, Oblivion's volume knob hovers around 12 to 3 pm for my usual comfortably loud level without destroying my ears. That's something I wouldn't do. The ears are more precious than any gear. :)

The intent wasn't to replace the 265w 4 ohms Regum Rgi120enr black series with Oblivion for stereo duties but the latter was very enjoying doing just that. The Axis LS88 floorstanders is 300w capable power handling, 4 ohms and 91db sensitivity @ 1 meter and Oblivion was driving it with no lost of fidelity. I was actually enjoying listening to those LPs.

Now for a few photos...

IMG-4582.jpg

IMG-4579.jpg

IMG-4581.jpg

Dec 24, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #213 of 7,484
@UntilThen
No rush, but when you get the time, could please provide more impressions between the Oblivian, AOL, Glenn and Woo with your current headphone inventory? Thank you.

Sure Joseph but that will have to come after Christmas otherwise I could be served instead of the turkey on the dinner table tonight for the Christmas family get together. :)

In the meantime, I left Oblivion sitting in the lounge and have adjourned to the study for some music listening with the Glenn OTL amp. Here is a picture and I think it looks beautiful but the GOTL isn't driving the speakers. :) There are obvious differences between Oblivion and GOTL but I'll touch on that after Christmas when I've done more attentive listening with more music selections. Suffice to say that I'm missing Oblivion already and want to bring it back to the study but it's too much to carry to and fro. Remember I could be the roast turkey if I muck around more with the head-fi gear on Christmas day !!!

IMG-4592.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #214 of 7,484
Here's another picture of me going through some of my LPs. I had to vacate the lounge because the family wanted to watch a Christmas movie on the TV.... and I wanted to listen to my music. Such is life when you're into this hobby. Now you know why I have to use headphones which fortunately I love just as much. :ksc75smile:

IMG-4590.jpg

Dec 24, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #215 of 7,484
Just played a few LPs. Love Over Gold by Dire Straits, A Deeper Understanding by War On Drugs, The Wall by Pink Floyd. It's a very enjoyable sound using Oblivion. Open, clear, airy and the bass is how it should be. With impact without being overdone. There's a snappiness to the tone and it's lively. No trace or hint of glare. As with headphone, what's coming from the speakers exhibit a nice tube tone with very good details and imaging. Depending on the recording of the LPs, Oblivion's volume knob hovers around 12 to 3 pm for my usual comfortably loud level without destroying my ears. That's something I wouldn't do. The ears are more precious than any gear. :)

The intent wasn't to replace the 265w 4 ohms Regum Rgi120enr black series with Oblivion for stereo duties but the latter was very enjoying doing just that. The Axis LS88 floorstanders is 300w capable power handling, 4 ohms and 91db sensitivity @ 1 meter and Oblivion was driving it with no lost of fidelity. I was actually enjoying listening to those LPs.

Now for a few photos...

Lol, I'm looking at the pics and chuckling at the amount of space it takes.

Well worth it though. :)

Dec 25, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #218 of 7,484
It is not everyday that an amp comes along that defies my expectations but Oblivion did just that today.

It is making the Axis LS88 floorstanders sing to a very comfortable loud level without losing control and sounding like an expensive integrated amp.

Yes, I could have told you that! The real test was your standmounts at 88db, and that went well so it was obviously going to be a piece of cake with your floorstanders at 91db.

Maxx134 tested the Oblivion maxed out and so another good test would be to see if the sound is still good at lower levels with still everything there, details etc. Maybe you could let us know what you think, I see you like fairly high volume levels. How big is your room? Also what is the sound signature of your speakers, warm, neutral or what? I doubt the Oblivion would have a problem whatever the sound.

Also a comparison with your main amp perhaps as high powered amps can come with their own problems.

Look forward to further impressions after you've polished off the turkey... and your family let you back into the lounge… or should I say music room lol!

Dec 25, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #219 of 7,484
I just may very well be doing this after the holidays, as long as my invitation from @SonicTrance is still open?
Sorry I missed your post.
I got one Citadel to build now and one Oblivion pending. If things starts to quiet down again we can do it, no problem. As long as I got people ordering that has to come first. I'm sure you understand.

Dec 25, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #221 of 7,484
I got one Citadel to build now and one Oblivion pending. If things starts to quiet down again we can do it, no problem. As long as I got people ordering that has to come first. I'm sure you understand.
Thank you very much for leaving the offer open.
I totally understand that the customers come first. I'll PM you after the holidays.

Dec 25, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #222 of 7,484

I survive Christmas Day and it's now Boxing Day. :)

I'm not surprised you have orders going because what I'm hearing now in Oblivion is certainly value for money for the price.

Christmas present for me from the family is this doubles Beatles LP.

IMG-4601.jpg

Dec 25, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #223 of 7,484
After a short demo of Oblivion with the Axis LS88 floorstanders, it's back to the study. Whilst it will drive the LS88 to acceptable level, it doesn't do justice to those speakers. Putting the Redgum back confirms that. Even my son commented that the Redgum texture and impact makes a big difference as compared to Oblivion. Clearly I prefer the overall sound from the main amp but this is not unexpected. I don't think this exercise is to do a meaningful comparison between Oblivion and my main amps. I haven't even pull out my behemoth Sansui alpha amps. Oblivion sounded thin in comparison albeit very clear - which is good on the newly acquired Beatles No.1 album.

Lounge size is 6 x 4 metres. Carpeted floor and curtains makes for a good acoustics room. Even John Reilly commented on that when he came over to listen to my system. LS88 is a classic years ago. It's more of a British sound. It's not bright but the top end is revealing. Bass can go really low and when the bass drops (driven by the Redgum), you will feel the music, not just hear it.

So yeah, I was just interested to know if Oblivion could actually drive the floorstanders. At lower volume levels the details are lost. Bring it up to 12 noon and beyond and that's when you start to think that the Oblivion is quite remarkable. :)

Note: However I was very pleased with Oblivion driving the Axis LS28 book shelf. At near field listening, it was enjoyable and the tone is articulate. Those book shelf speakers never sounded so clear and involving at close range. John Reilly did a good job with these speakers.

IMG-4583.jpg

Dec 25, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #224 of 7,484
After a short demo of Oblivion with the Axis LS88 floorstanders, it's back to the study. Whilst it will drive the LS88 to acceptable level, it doesn't do justice to those speakers. Putting the Redgum back confirms that. Even my son commented that the Redgum texture and impact makes a big difference as compared to Oblivion. Clearly I prefer the overall sound from the main amp but this is not unexpected. I don't think this exercise is to do a meaningful comparison between Oblivion and my main amps. I haven't even pull out my behemoth Sansui alpha amps. Oblivion sounded thin in comparison albeit very clear - which is good on the newly acquired Beatles No.1 album.

Lounge size is 6 x 4 metres. Carpeted floor and curtains makes for a good acoustics room. Even John Reilly commented on that when he came over to listen to my system. LS88 is a classic years ago. It's more of a British sound. It's not bright but the top end is revealing. Bass can go really low and when the bass drops (driven by the Redgum), you will feel the music, not just hear it.

So yeah, I was just interested to know if Oblivion could actually drive the floorstanders. At lower volume levels the details are lost. Bring it up to 12 noon and beyond and that's when you start to think that the Oblivion is quite remarkable. :)

Note: However I was very pleased with Oblivion driving the Axis LS28 book shelf. At near field listening, it was enjoyable and the tone is articulate. Those book shelf speakers never sounded so clear and involving at close range. John Reilly did a good job with these speakers.

Can the Oblivion be used as a preamp for the Redgum?

Dec 25, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #225 of 7,484
Can the Oblivion be used as a preamp for the Redgum?

Hey there Mordy. The model that was send to me has speakers out. For some reasons, Sonic says you can either have preamp or speakers out and not both. Pre-amp out to the Redgum might be interesting. I think it will be a good balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back