Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Apr 11, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #1,892 of 7,478
Akai EA-G90 stereo graphic equalizer setup and working. I never believe in equalizers before but this has changed my bias. A unique opportunity to come across a gear so well preserved unblemished since 1981 and the seller is a gentleman.

IMG_2186.jpg

Apr 11, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #1,893 of 7,478
I wonder whose amp Tomas is building now.
Lots of activity here! :)
I've finished Octavians Eternity, pics will come in the next few days. I had another build booked for April but he backed out so I'm taking a few weeks off building before starting @hpamdr Eternity. I have an old Heathkit oscilloscope that needs restoring so I might dive into that :)

Apr 11, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #1,894 of 7,478
I'm looking forward to pictures of Octavian's Eternity. Then it's hpamdr Eternity. Then it's Odyssey ? :relaxed: :beerchug:

Guess Sowter is still winding my transformers.... meticulously.

Apr 11, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #1,895 of 7,478
I'm looking forward to pictures of Octavian's Eternity. Then it's hpamdr Eternity. Then it's Odyssey ? :relaxed: :beerchug:

Guess Sowter is still winding my transformers.... meticulously.
Correct! That's the order of things! :)

Yep, haven't heard anything from Sowter but they said they have a 12 week wait.

Apr 11, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #1,896 of 7,478
Akai EA-G90 stereo graphic equalizer setup and working. I never believe in equalizers before but this has changed my bias. A unique opportunity to come across a gear so well preserved unblemished since 1981 and the seller is a gentleman.

I won't say anything.

Wait...yes I will: can't wait to see the upcoming pics of Octavian's Eternity amp!

:smile:

Apr 12, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #1,897 of 7,478

IMG_2186.jpg
Big smile equalization, this is a loudness revival ! :)

Apr 13, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #1,900 of 7,478
Where are the pictures!!! Or should I post another pic of the double smiley Akai that Bcowen loves.... or an open reel deck?
I rather prefer @OctavianH receive his amplifier and made a detailed review about Sonic impre3ssion and rolling usage with 6H8C ribbed plate or L63 and GEC KT66, EL39, EL37, KT77, KT88, KT150.... For sure Tomas (@SonicTrance) final pics are really nice but for me less informative than user feeling :wink:

Apr 13, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #1,902 of 7,478
I rather prefer @OctavianH receive his amplifier and made a detailed review about Sonic impre3ssion and rolling usage with 6H8C ribbed plate or L63 and GEC KT66, EL39, EL37, KT77, KT88, KT150.... For sure Tomas (@SonicTrance) final pics are really nice but for me less informative than user feeling :wink:

I will need time, and unfortunately I am not a very experienced reviewer. I do not really care about fancy words and I am not sure I will be able to provide a proper analyze at the level one might expect. I will, of course, tell you honestly how I think it sounds, but in the end, everything might be very subjective.

Well you’re not going to get impressions from Octavian for a month because he has to burn it all in. A bon fire might speed it up.

Yes, I will need some burn in for the 6J5, however I have a lot of 6SN7 and KT* which are already prepared. But let's not forget that the amplifier itself needs around 100 hours so I guess one week is only for it regardless of the tube combos I will try.

Apr 13, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #1,903 of 7,478
Well you’re not going to get impressions from Octavian for a month because he has to burn it all in. A bon fire might speed it up.
Tube rolling usage does not need a month to be experimented, silence either, and impression out of the box. @SonicTrance can give an hint on time needed to have the electronic stabilized. Most of tubes have already been burned in Elise.
After a month once the ear is used to the amp is it what you call burned ?

Apr 13, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #1,904 of 7,478
Where are the pictures!!! Or should I post another pic of the double smiley Akai that Bcowen loves.... or an open reel deck?
Easy, easy there! :wink:
I had to wait for the final part, the Eternity nameplate. That has been in customs for about two months and finally got here yesterday!

Here it is! Populated with 7581A's and 6J5's. The bias adjustments are in front of the meters. There's one meter for the input stage and one for the output stage. Then there's a toggle switch behind each meter so you can toggle between the two channels to measure the bias current.

This one also has VU meters which you can turn ON/OFF, "stock bias" switches, impedance switch, a dual triode input tube socket, teflon sockets, XLR inputs, XLR output, and an input tube selector switch.
The stock version of Eternity will use 6AV6 and 6S19P tubes.
DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

DSC_0043.JPG

DSC_0048.JPG

Here you can see the size difference between Infinity and Eternity!
DSC_0058.JPG

@SonicTrance can give an hint on time needed to have the electronic stabilized. Most of tubes have already been burned in Elise.
After a month once the ear is used to the amp is it what you call burned ?
Burn-in is subjective to me. Some say so many hours for this and so many hours for that.. Impossible to say IMO. There's not many components inside the amp that would require burn-in. The electrolytic caps needs to settle but there're only four of them in the amp and none is in the signal path.
I always run the amps, with signal, for 48 hours before shipping. I've had a little extra time with this one so it has over 50 hours already. I do this to build up heat inside the amp and stress it to see if there's gonna be a component failure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back