Objectivists board room
Mar 12, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #3,332 of 4,545

Uuuh. Networking standards have built in error correction. If it makes a difference the cable you are using is so broken that the error correction can't even make sense of it.

Not Ethernet though, Ethernet is not "reliable" in the strictest sense of the word. If you want guaranteed reliability with Ethernet you have to implement it elsewhere, duff frames just get thrown away, in fairness it is typically much more reliable than 802.11 but not without problems. Though as I say this it strengthens the case for not worrying too much about the damn cable as hopefully the reliability is handled elsewhere. I teach a *very* basic and often wildly misleading (UG) course in comms principles but have never investigated audio over Ethernet - summer project perhaps...Anyone point to a good primer on Ethernet based audio ?

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #3,333 of 4,545

Not Ethernet though, Ethernet is not "reliable" in the strictest sense of the word. If you want guaranteed reliability with Ethernet you have to implement it elsewhere, duff frames just get thrown away, in fairness it is typically much more reliable than 802.11 but not without problems. Though as I say this it strengthens the case for not worrying too much about the damn cable as hopefully the reliability is handled elsewhere. I teach a *very* basic and often wildly misleading (UG) course in comms principles but have never investigated audio over Ethernet - summer project perhaps...Anyone point to a good primer on Ethernet based audio ?

True I guess, I was thinking about TCP.

Mar 12, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #3,335 of 4,545
  Last time I tried to adjust tone by rotating a tube, I broke the pins off.  

That's your mistake, you should roll them not rotate them. Just make sure that they don't go over the edge of a table and hit the floor.

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #3,336 of 4,545
 Last time I tried to adjust tone by rotating a tube, I broke the pins off.  

That's your mistake, you should roll them not rotate them. Just make sure that they don't go over the edge of a table and hit the floor.

I start with them already on the floor. That way they can't fall and roll farther. You should see an 833 rolling down stairs though. Fun, fun!

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #3,340 of 4,545

Well it is Science Fiction, just like those movies when a man made virus escapes the lab and turns the world into a planet overrun with audiophile zombies with ultrasonic hearing.

Technology to the rescue. Instead of hanging a cross or garlic around your neck, hang one of those ultrasonic cat and dog repellers.

Mar 13, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #3,341 of 4,545

Technology to the rescue. Instead of hanging a cross or garlic around your neck, hang one of those ultrasonic cat and dog repellers.

Not so sure it would work. Last Spring I had a squirrel invade my attic, she had two babies. I tried a number of ways to get them to leave. One failed method was an ultrasonic deterrent. It really pissed them off because they were running all over the place. Suddenly it got quiet. I go up to the attic and they are on the rafters looking at me, laughing. The device was on the floor, the wire to the wall wart was pulled out of the device and the connecter was chewed off. To quote Yogi, "Smarter than the average audiophile."

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #3,344 of 4,545
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back