Objectivists board room
Mar 10, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #3,316 of 4,545
You think that is crazy.  How about the growing 'consensus' that ethernet cables effect audio quality significantly in computer based playback.  You can't reasonably talk people out of it either.

Look at this $5495 8 foot ethernet cable from Audioquest.
https://www.amazon.com/263-Audioquest-Diamond-Ethernet-Cable/dp/B0073HJVSK/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1489196039&sr=1-3&keywords=audioquest+ethernet+cable

Or if you need HDMI consider this Audioquest $13,499  HDMI cable on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Diamond-52-49-Braided-Cable/dp/B00IL3TZSQ/ref=pd_sbs_23_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00IL3TZSQ&pd_rd_r=V4PFM0PKMQFMEWA27H21&pd_rd_w=33quY&pd_rd_wg=n8Etb&psc=1&refRID=V4PFM0PKMQFMEWA27H21

I do like the attitude of the people reviewing these on Amazon.  Quite entertaining reading those.

Mar 10, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #3,317 of 4,545

Never underestimate the power of the human imagination.

The logic?  

Sure: If it's expensive, it must be better.  

Start with a generic power cable.  Swap the generic parts for exotic materials, add a dash of mysticism and magic, wrap it up in a glitzy jacket and invent some terminology like Antielectric Pressure Gradient Cable, os some such horse hocky, and extol its virtues with glowingly ambiguous testimonials ("I can honestly say I have never heard a cable like this!"...means you can't hear any cable at all.)  Market to the elite illuminati audiophile.  They WILL hear the difference.

Done.  There's always plenty of money for boutique products, if executed well.  

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #3,318 of 4,545
  The logic?  

Sure: If it's expensive, it must be better.  

Start with a generic power cable.  Swap the generic parts for exotic materials, add a dash of mysticism and magic, wrap it up in a glitzy jacket and invent some terminology like Antielectric Pressure Gradient Cable, os some such horse hocky, and extol its virtues with glowingly ambiguous testimonials ("I can honestly say I have never heard a cable like this!"...means you can't hear any cable at all.)  Market to the elite illuminati audiophile.  They WILL hear the difference.

Done.  There's always plenty of money for boutique products, if executed well.  

What kills me is that their house wiring is made from standard cheap run of the mill copper wire, junction boxes, etc. that can be found in Home Depot or the like. What happens when they realize that?

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #3,320 of 4,545
Mar 11, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #3,321 of 4,545
  You think that is crazy.  How about the growing 'consensus' that ethernet cables effect audio quality significantly in computer based playback.  You can't reasonably talk people out of it either.

Look at this $5495 8 foot ethernet cable from Audioquest.
https://www.amazon.com/263-Audioquest-Diamond-Ethernet-Cable/dp/B0073HJVSK/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1489196039&sr=1-3&keywords=audioquest+ethernet+cable

Or if you need HDMI consider this Audioquest $13,499  HDMI cable on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Diamond-52-49-Braided-Cable/dp/B00IL3TZSQ/ref=pd_sbs_23_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00IL3TZSQ&pd_rd_r=V4PFM0PKMQFMEWA27H21&pd_rd_w=33quY&pd_rd_wg=n8Etb&psc=1&refRID=V4PFM0PKMQFMEWA27H21

I do like the attitude of the people reviewing these on Amazon.  Quite entertaining reading those.

Uuuh. Networking standards have built in error correction. If it makes a difference the cable you are using is so broken that the error correction can't even make sense of it.

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #3,322 of 4,545
  I can attest to this. I have two DACs, one has no soundstage and the other one is MASSIVE with plenty of microdetail.

Cuz the first one is broken. Did I say no soundstage? I meant no sound.

Wiseguy, at first I thought you meant it. There seems to be no end to audiophile mysticism, the forums are full of it.

Mar 11, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #3,323 of 4,545

Wiseguy, at first I thought you meant it. There seems to be no end to audiophile mysticism, the forums are full of it.

haha tell me about it. For the love of anything holy or unholy, I don't know how a DAC can change soundstage so much, unless there's something seriously wrong with it. I can understand slight change here and there based on the reconstruction filter being used, but the changes are barely audible. Except transducers, nothing makes a night and day difference in audio quality, unless we are talking about insufficient power. If your DAC is coloring your music it's a POS. 

Mar 11, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #3,324 of 4,545
  haha tell me about it. For the love of anything holy or unholy, I don't know how a DAC can change soundstage so much, unless there's something seriously wrong with it. I can understand slight change here and there based on the reconstruction filter being used, but the changes are barely audible. Except transducers, nothing makes a night and day difference in audio quality, unless we are talking about insufficient power. If your DAC is coloring your music it's a POS. 

There is no end to it. Soundstage seems to be the rage. How an Amp, tube or DAC can magically create intra dimensional sound travel truly escapes me. There seems to be a name for every imaginative audio escapade. These fantasies take on a life of their own and spread like wildfire. I am completely gobsmacked and yet entertained by all of this.

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #3,325 of 4,545
  There is no end to it. Soundstage seems to be the rage. How an Amp, tube or DAC can magically create intra dimensional sound travel truly escapes me. There seems to be a name for every imaginative audio escapade. These fantasies take on a life of their own and spread like wildfire. I am completely gobsmacked and yet entertained by all of this.

There was a preamp in the early 1980s that had what was, essentially, a "soundstage" control.  If you left it dead center, you got normal stereo.  All the way left, it narrowed to mono, turn to the left, you got progressively more hyper-stereo, essentially cross-feed, then ended up at Left minus Right.   Nice control, never was another like it.  Of  course, I still own one....

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/apt/holman-preamplifier.htm

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #3,326 of 4,545
  There was a preamp in the early 1980s that had what was, essentially, a "soundstage" control.  If you left it dead center, you got normal stereo.  All the way left, it narrowed to mono, turn to the left, you got progressively more hyper-stereo, essentially cross-feed, then ended up at Left minus Right.   Nice control, never was another like it.  Of  course, I still own one....

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/apt/holman-preamplifier.htm

No self respecting audiophile would have anything that limits ultrasonics and this thing has a filter. The mere suggestion could start a cr@p storm in the forums.

Mar 12, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #3,328 of 4,545

No self respecting audiophile would have anything that limits ultrasonics and this thing has a filter. The mere suggestion could start a cr@p storm in the forums.

No self respecting audiophone would have tone controls engaged either.  With tone controls bypassed the ultrasonic filter is also bypassed, -3dB point is then 150kHz.  

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #3,329 of 4,545
You should remove the word science from your sentence.

Well it is Science Fiction, just like those movies when a man made virus escapes the lab and turns the world into a planet overrun with audiophile zombies with ultrasonic hearing.

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #3,330 of 4,545
  No self respecting audiophone would have tone controls engaged either.  With tone controls bypassed the ultrasonic filter is also bypassed, -3dB point is then 150kHz.  

Who needs tone controls, isn't that what tubes are for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back