Obessive Portaphile Disorder
Oct 27, 2003 at 6:02 AM Post #31 of 59
I also suffer from this (obsessive portaphile disorder) disease, but to a lesser extent...
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 27, 2003 at 2:15 PM Post #32 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
I was just pointing out the fact that it had french on it, I emailed him about the price discrepency and he actually told me about where he bought it, but it's still strange...French wasn't one the USA model's boxes...was it??
confused.gif

That's Spanish on the box man. A D-E905 is a D-E905, no matter what language it speaks
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2003 at 3:47 PM Post #34 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by Musicfan123
That's not quite true.
There can be a substantial difference in pricing for the same piece of electronic equipment if they are intended for markets in different regions.

But it is still the same product. My D777 box is also in multiple languages. Whatever retail price it was wherever it was sold, it doesn't matter. It is still the same product and still worth $200 to me. Not that it matters, but there is still no evidence anyway that it is not a US market product.

Oct 27, 2003 at 4:28 PM Post #35 of 59
I am not saying this particular model is not a U.S. model.

All I am saying is that the same piece of electronic equipment can can have a MSRP of $300 in the U.S., and a MSRP of $200 somewhere else (such as certain parts of Asia and South America).

An example that comes to mind are Seiko watches. The genuine Seiko watches in Malaysia and Indonesia (not the fakes) typically go for only 1/2 of what exactly the same models sell for here in the U.S.

By selling these watches to U.S. customers at U.S. prices, those overseas sellers are making substantial profits.

Of course, we have a free market economy on ebay. A product is worth as much as what a buyer is willing to pay.

Oct 27, 2003 at 4:34 PM Post #37 of 59
Another example that comes to mind is the white colored EX71 that's been floating around on ebay.

Oftentimes it's really hard to tell if a particular piece of equipment is intended for the Japanese market or the Chinese market (Taiwan, Hongkong, mainland China, etc.).

I don't know about you guys, but I am highly suspicious that the white EX71 are from Taiwan or Hongkong, and not from Japan. And hence a substantial difference in price.

Oct 27, 2003 at 5:17 PM Post #38 of 59
Hi,
We all know that I'm one of the first member of Portahile. I'm almost cured, but still slightly obssesed. I move on to a bigger and more expensive thing. I'm building my main rig with new source, and new amp. I want to be done and never looked back. I once own 20 or more PCDPs and 10 to 20 MDs, now the number is down by 10. Anyway, I'm glad that there are some of my succesor. I still own the D-E905, D-777, D-EJ01, D-303(s), D-311(s), D-25S, D-465, D-555, and Panasonic SL-S651c. My MD collection consists of MZ-R50, MZ-R90, MZ-R900, MZ-E55, Sharp MD-SS323(2), MT831, ST-531, and MT-77. Oh, I also have the 10 gig Ipod. I'm almost heal!!!

Purk

Oct 27, 2003 at 5:38 PM Post #39 of 59
Sorry buddy, the road to hi fi will never ever end.

By the time you'll be done with headphone listening, you'll move on to full rigged home theater.

And by the time you'll be done with home theater, you'll move on to serious audiophile stereo setup.

And by the time you'll be done with full sized rigs, you'll be back with headphone listening.

And on, and on, and on. The black hole just sucks everything away.

Of course we'll all be here to pick up your downgraded gear on your road to eternal upgrades
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 28, 2003 at 3:15 AM Post #43 of 59
Quote:

AH! PURK! You have two SS323's? Ohhh how I envy you!

I bought one of the almighty SS323 when it was released in 1999, then bought a new old stock one on 2001. I paid 280 dollars each, but the sound quality never let me down.

Purk
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2003 at 3:24 AM Post #44 of 59
That's quite a bargain actually. The one and only time an SS323 on eBay it went for over $350. I couldn't justify it. You're one lucky guy......

I sort of had an MD portophilac disorder, having gone through an R70, R700, R900, N1, S1, R50, E75, DR7, MT831, MS722, MT15. At one point I had six working units, and well, I couldn't see why I needed them all and now have consolidated into four units, N1, R50, 831, E75.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back