Obessive Portaphile Disorder
Jul 26, 2003 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

Pappucho

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello, my name is Pappucho, and I am a portaphile...

At last count I have over 30 portable audio devices (mostly PCDPs and Walkmans) and I have no idea why...I got hooked on this bad...

How long does this last from those of you have been infected before?

Here is pic of most of these.....

all.jpg

At first I thought that it might be something interesting to collect, but I think it has gotten bordering obsessive. Luckily, I have reached that point of realization that I have enough...(not including a D-303, D-555, D-626, and D-311 of course....
rolleyes.gif
"

Jul 26, 2003 at 6:43 AM Post #2 of 59
If you give me the D-515 you will regain your sanity.

No, really. Trust me.

Jul 26, 2003 at 6:47 AM Post #3 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
If you give me the D-515 you will regain your sanity.

No, really. Trust me.

ill give you $5 for it.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 26, 2003 at 6:50 AM Post #4 of 59
Uhh, I think I have a problem but it sure aint stupidity.....

Jul 26, 2003 at 6:55 AM Post #6 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by Pappucho
Uhh, I think I have a problem but it sure aint stupidity.....

With that many PCDPs I beg to differ.

Jul 26, 2003 at 7:05 AM Post #7 of 59
No, I don't think that it's a lack of better judgement (although you may prefer to use stupidity). I think it happens to be that sometimes when I get caught up in a new interest, it tends to occupy a good portion of my attention. I had read an ariticle that sparked my interest in collecting walkmans in The New York Times about collectibles from the 80's. The article listed several items of interest but what really caught my attention was the newly forming collectibility of vintage walkmans. The boodo khan was listed as the holy grail. At the same time that I started, there was a handfull of people on ebay that were doing the same. There were about 4 or 5 people that were heavily collecting. Only 3 of these still are doing still doing so now. Prices now on all of the sony walkmans is much lower what it was about 3 months ago when all the heavy buying was happening. A boodo khan for instance sold for 700 us$. I picked up mine shortly before that one at 200US$. Of course following that sale, I felt I made a good investment. My D-515 that both of you have requested cost me a mere 75 Euros on ebay about 2 months ago. A solid investment considering what they have been selling for now. The major players in my collection were picked up at a fraction what the current market demands. So on investment level alone, it wasn't a stupid thing to do.

Jul 26, 2003 at 7:27 AM Post #8 of 59
No, maybe investment wise it isn't stupid. A D-515 (that I jokingly requested although you didn't seem to pick up on that) for 75 euros is a great deal. It's just that there's no possible use for 35 portable players. You can't use more than a couple of them frequently, why have them? That's just my take on it. I've had more than one pcdp at once, and only one ever got used. One pcdp, one mp3 player, one walkman, that makes sense. Multiples don't.

Purely from a collector's standpoint there's nothing wrong with it. I'd love to track down one great, old pcdp like a D-515 or D-777 (except that portable isn't my priority right now). I wouldn't buy two though.

Oct 25, 2003 at 10:22 PM Post #11 of 59
LOL @ "portaphile"
600smile.gif

You just coined a word!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back