O2 AMP + ODAC
Feb 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #886 of 5,671
Quote:
He he.

I always use the bass boost because most of my headphones lose bass under 80Hz, so I bass boost about 6-9 db according to the headphones at 50Hz. Also I use flat headpdhones, partly for the accuracy but also because they have superb distortion handling, so I can EQ without fear to get that bass that I want while having the benefit of flatness elsewhere. I would prefer to bass boost at 30Hz, 12db, but no such option.

This solves the problem that Windows Media Player and so many others distort horribly in the EQs, whereas the Bass Boost doesn't and also provides the bass boost system wide, handy for spotify.

If you consider loudness curves then it;s very handy to be able to bass boost, especially if you listen less loudly. I'm a loud listener, but since I gave up caffiene I've suddenly found myself turning the volume right down. I suspect I;m getting a more accurate treble presentation from my etymotics also, which are otherwise known for their rather strong treble.

i allways bass boost, and i dont use neutral cans at all. im a basshead. but i dont understand why one would use his dac for that, whats wrong with just using an equalizer?

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #887 of 5,671
Quote:
You have two options really.  You can use software volume control, or you can use unity (X1) gain for one of the gain positions on the gain switch.

O2 measures the best with unity gain... So I do only use unity gain.
beerchug.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #889 of 5,671
O2 measures the best with unity gain... So I do only use unity gain. :beerchug:

Purists eh? Tsk tsk.

Here's to 12x gain !!!!!!!!! Yeeehaaaarrrr!!!

:basshead:

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #890 of 5,671
When I  ordered my O2 + odac I didnt have an option to choose the gain settings so it comes with the standard 2.5x / 6.5x. I have signature DJ which are 32 Ohm HPs so am I fine with the standard settings or should I try some sorcery and make it 1.0x / 2.5x for example? I also have DT770pro tho they are not getting much head time 
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #891 of 5,671
Quote:
Handsome indeed! May I ask what black knob that is on the volume control?

thats just the standard knob for the black O2 =]

Quote:
When I  ordered my O2 + odac I didnt have an option to choose the gain settings so it comes with the standard 2.5x / 6.5x. I have signature DJ which are 32 Ohm HPs so am I fine with the standard settings or should I try some sorcery and make it 1.0x / 2.5x for example? I also have DT770pro tho they are not getting much head time 
biggrin.gif

really? and at what "time" do you have the volume knob? if im not mistaken, the sig dj and the m-100 have the same impedance. but the m-100 are alot more sensitive. as far as i can find on cnet, the sig djs sensitivity is 98db while the m-100 are 103. 

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #892 of 5,671
Quote:

really? and at what "time" do you have the volume knob? if im not mistaken, the sig dj and the m-100 have the same impedance. but the m-100 are alot more sensitive. as far as i can find on cnet, the sig djs sensitivity is 98db while the m-100 are 103. 

I have not yet received it I thought to dig up some info beforehand. Sig DJ has 115db sensitivity i think.

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #893 of 5,671
Quote:
I have not yet received it I thought to dig up some info beforehand. Sig DJ has 115db sensitivity i think.

98db is the sensitivety of the signature pro. i was wrong.

i cant seem to find the sesitivity of the the signature djs... on the ultrasone site, part of the specs say "SPL: 115 dB", is that sensitivity? sensitivity rating is usually given together with "@ 1kHz 1mW" or something of the sort...

either way, ill be glad to hear how they fair with *2.5 gain, especially if their sensitivity is 115db, which would make them even more sensitive than the m-100.

anyone here with ~32ohm impedance and ~103db sensitivity cans? if so, is *2.5 gain too much for them, are do you still get manageable volume control without channel imbalance?

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #898 of 5,671
Quote:
I would also advise against 'the snip' if you don't really know what you are doing. It's very easy to get wrong.

The resistors are labeled... Just clip r19 and r23 to drop the gain to 1x/2.5x, very easy.. If you can work a pair of small scissors.

Quote:

thank you everyone for your help. is ther anyone else that noticed/didnt notice channel imbalance when using the O2? especially if paring with a sensitive headphone and setting the volume knob to under "9 o'clock"? this is really what im asking i think. and if someone did have some issues - what did you do?

i notice some very slight channel balance at the very beginning of the pot. I choose to drop my gain to 1x/2.5x using the "snip" method, 2.5 is usually too high off the odac with grados/fostex t50rp. At least, it is for my ears.

Quote:
biggrin.gif

The aforementioned "snip" mod.. Just clip resistors r19 and r23.

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #899 of 5,671
I notice some imbalance under 9 here too on my m80s and hd25-1 iis. I'm thinking about doing some mods to my o2, like moving the source and power jack to the back. might do the 1/2.5x gain snip but after I get a he-400. don't want to snip if 2.5x isn't enough to run them. hehe

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #900 of 5,671
I just recieved my O2+Odac combo and i'm wondering if its normal that the computer volume control affect the volume of my amp.

If it's normal, should i turn the volume of my computer as low as i can and let my O2 do the amplification?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back