O2 AMP + ODAC
Feb 10, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #856 of 5,671
Sure, and that's not an assertion of a fact. As I wrote, I was careful to qualifty myself.

There's no basis for that claim given that Realtek has a variety of chipsets. Having sampled just a few implementations,some of them could have been the same chipset. So I still think it's a problem to generalize as even a personal opinion to all laptops that there is a "high probability" unless you have sampled like 100 laptops. LOL

Without perfect level matching, the difference in levels may yet be very slight. Since they didn't sound different then there are three possibilities:

1)I level matched successfully
2)my audio memory failed me
3)even if my audio memory failed me: there was no significant difference that I could detect using this coarse method of comparison and that the level difference was slight. (I think all of us are familiar with huge differences in audio, heavy distortion etc).

And yet, a difference of more than .1db in level matching has been shown to affect listener response. The odds of you level matching each of your test cases by ear within .1db are highly likely, and your original assertion was that they were the "same"

http://www.head-fi.org/t/616331/o2-amp-odac/825#post_9144635

Now I think it's reasonable to say that they have similar SQ, since SQ is itself always a subjective assessment.

In anycase, I am not attempting to put an objective fact in front of anyone. My observation/test is justified as a healthy and equal counter to those who said that there will definitely be a marked improvement to an external DAC (see earlier in the thread): some of us are not hearing that marked difference even with an ODAC against a sigmatel.

I agree. All our tests are subjective. All of the listening test comparisons we try to make on head-fi should have an implied YMMV. :)

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #861 of 5,671
Quote:
Can you create the problem on a different source - such as an MP3 Player or cell phone?
Or maybe a stereo with a volume knob and headphone jack?

Nope, It's definitely the pot on the O2.

Quote:
If you want it cheap....build one yourself.

or

look for a used one in the for sale area.

Alex

+1 to the sale/trade forums here

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #862 of 5,671
Quote:

Nope, It's definitely the pot on the O2.

+1 to the sale/trade forums here

I believe you, but, does it happen whether on Battery / AC Adapter?

The major thing is, doing lots of bassy sine sweeps could be an issue for other amplifiers too. Is it really a deal breaker that you can't fiddle with the volume constantly while listening in?

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #863 of 5,671
Quote:

The major thing is, doing lots of bassy sine sweeps could be an issue for other amplifiers too. Is it really a deal breaker that you can't fiddle with the volume constantly while listening in?

In my experience with several amps (when this occured, but not with O2 so far), it's not a deal breaker at all... It's just that you sometimes experience a partial distortion when manipulating with a volume knob. Unless you are going to manipulate with it ALL THE TIME, it's not an issue and you could perfectly consider it as "a feature", if you know what I mean...

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #865 of 5,671
I get loud metallic sound when i lift up on the front bottom and release it, only when it hits the pc its sitting on.
Solved by using soft pads underneath with glue.

Doesnt seem to affect the high end treble at all..

Alex

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #866 of 5,671
Quote:
I've had a different problem - rare but it has happened. Sometimes I get noticeable noise from the power insert.

What do you mean... Like when you're playing music (randomly) or when pressing the power button? It's strange, never happened to me and I already owned 2 different units...

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #867 of 5,671
Quote:
I get loud metallic sound when i lift up on the front bottom and release it, only when it hits the pc its sitting on.
Solved by using soft pads underneath with glue.

Doesnt seem to affect the high end treble at all..

Alex

Do you have rubber feet on your amp?

Feb 12, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #868 of 5,671
Quote:

Let me try the batteries.

*edit*.. Well, I don't have any scratching at all anymore. Bizarre, I'm sure it will eventually come back. I might update when/if it does on whether the power source affects it (I assume not).

It's not a deal breaker. Just something I noticed... I expect it to get louder until it does bug me enough to change the pot again. This time I'll go with something not made by ALPS.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #869 of 5,671
Quote:
Let me try the batteries.

*edit*.. Well, I don't have any scratching at all anymore. Bizarre, I'm sure it will eventually come back. I might update when/if it does on whether the power source affects it (I assume not).

It's not a deal breaker. Just something I noticed... I expect it to get louder until it does bug me enough to change the pot again. This time I'll go with something not made by ALPS.

OK now we are getting somewhere then.
Are you using the stock Triad part - the WAU12-200?

Because if you consistently get the scratching when running AC Power, I wonder if the combination of high current demand and 13.5V 200 mA AC adapter is coming up short providing stable power. OR, maybe you have a "dirty outlet". Since I can replicate the issue when plugged in, I should try it again on battery only. 

Makes me wonder if upgrading to one of the ballsier AC adapters might correct the issue, or if the "solution", is to run your sine sweeps and bass dense stuff on the batteries instead.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #870 of 5,671
Makes me wonder if upgrading to one of the ballsier AC adapters might correct the issue, or if the "solution", is to run your sine sweeps and bass dense stuff on the batteries instead.
I'm running the WAU16-400 and it scratches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back