O2 AMP + ODAC
Dec 30, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #616 of 5,671
Quote:
ya I remember reading several replies on that issue, that's why I was only using 2.5x, but to me things are on a completely different level at 6.5.

A louder sound gives the subjective impression of better quality.

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #617 of 5,671
Quote:

A louder sound gives the subjective impression of better quality.

I turned down the volume knob when going to 6.5x to have similar volume levels as when I was listening to it using 2.5x.

Anyways, after some trials using he-400 at 6.5x gain, sound signature just got way too bright, even at lower volumes, making it unbearable to listen to it. So I guess I'm going to stick with 2.5x so I don't damage my hearings.

and you guys were right about the clipping issue with 6.5x gain, I heard it when using he-400

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #618 of 5,671
Quote:
I turned down the volume knob when going to 6.5x to have similar volume levels as when I was listening to it using 2.5x.

Volume matching by ear is not good enough, you most likely only get within a few dB of accurate matching (and it is unintentionally biased in the direction of matching the position of the volume knob, rather than the actual SPL), and that is plenty enough for the psycho-acoustic effects of loudness to make the difference in perceived sound quality.

Dec 30, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #619 of 5,671
Quote:

Anyways, after some trials using he-400 at 6.5x gain, sound signature just got way too bright, even at lower volumes, making it unbearable to listen to it. So I guess I'm going to stick with 2.5x so I don't damage my hearings.

and you guys were right about the clipping issue with 6.5x gain, I heard it when using he-400

If you are listening loud enough to clip at 6.5X, either you have a really strong input source, or you are listening way, way too loud.

On AC power, the O2 can handle a little more that 2V @ 2.5x gain, so it shouldn't clip until your ears are bleeding.

Seriously though - listen for a lifetime, turn it down. If you can't get enough volume, take them off for about 5 minutes. I gaurantee you will be able to turn the volume down and it will be loud enough.
confused_face(1).gif

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #620 of 5,671
Quote:

If you are listening loud enough to clip at 6.5X, either you have a really strong input source, or you are listening way, way too loud.

Clipping in the input stage does not depend on the volume setting of the O2, only on the input voltage, gain, and power supply voltage (i.e. clipping is more likely on battery power).

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #621 of 5,671
Can anyone here compare how O2 differs from a Crack on an HD650? I'm thinking of upgrading to a crack but I'm not sure if I will hear a major difference in sound. 

Dec 31, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #625 of 5,671
Do I have to unplug my headphone before I turn off my amp? 

Dec 31, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #628 of 5,671
For very, very expensive amps, I believe so, because of the specific way they power up.

For consumer gear like the O2, it's not an issue.

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #629 of 5,671
Quote:
For very, very expensive amps, I believe so, because of the specific way they power up.

For consumer gear like the O2, it's not an issue.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back