O2 AMP + ODAC
Jan 2, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #633 of 5,671
Quote:

Just when I ordered my O2, headnhifi got more case colors back in stock.. I think those look pretty rad. 

Yeah, especially the matching front plate and the casing.

I soldered mine myself, so I only got the front/back plates. The casing I bought externally, and I think you can buy it in different colors, its just anodized aluminium. A copper colored one would be nice.

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #634 of 5,671

Yeah, especially the matching front plate and the casing.

It doesn't appear that they actually match. The front plate looks brushed, while the casing looks like it has a powder coat.

I like their colors a lot, though.

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #636 of 5,671
Bit of a war going on in my review thread over the O2, just 1 guy saying bad things about the O2 because he doesn't like it with his HD650... each to his own

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #637 of 5,671
funny how that goes......even when the designer choose the hd650 as his personal favorite...the more i read on these forums the more I see there are lots of people that are really lost when it comes to this stuff...

many folks looking for this or that in sound to make them happy....or what works good with this or that....

do you want accuracy in reproduction or stuff that changes the source to make you happy??

Just know that the 02 and ODAC are transparent and about as good as it gets......maybe this person just doesnt like what he is 'accustomed' to with his 650's...

oh well...the beat goes on....

lol

Alex

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #638 of 5,671
Very well put, I will keep enjoying my O2, and hope for a ODA in the future, whenever that comes out....

And am looking forward to getting an ODAC soon too.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #639 of 5,671
Dont hold your breath on the ODA....I hope it finally appears but no one seems to know what he is up to.....

You can build an ODA like amp easliy and have 99% of what he stated it could possibly be...

But sonically its pretty much a wash to what we already have...

The one thing I cant state enough is the O2's battery capability......it takes away all those arguments from all those "pure" AC power addicts.....

The O2 runs on pure DC......no ripple, no noise.....and its easy to add the AC adapter and see if you can hear any difference between a half wave rectifier, very unsophisticated and pure DC....boy that one really makes me SMILE!! lol.

All the best

Alex 

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #640 of 5,671
No updates on the ODA.
But its weird there's no ODA combination being sold by JDS or other makers out there.

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #641 of 5,671
Quote:
No updates on the ODA.
But its weird there's no ODA combination being sold by JDS or other makers out there.

I think part of the whole free/open source design, means anyone can make them but I believe there was a stipulation againgst modifying the design in anyway, at least commerically. I believe the reason for this is if someone messed with the his design it may no longer meet the specs and would tarnish the object of the design.

I eventually gave up waiting for the ODA and picked up and o2/odac combo (<--amazing). I don't believe that the ODA will be done anytime soon if ever. It was a little concerning how he simply dropped off the face of the planet without any explanation. Whatever his reason... I'm grateful for all the work he did, music never sounded so good 

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #642 of 5,671
Review thread is open again :)

Also the pro photographer happens to be my best friend, I moved away when I was younger, but I'm back in england on holiday so I got him to do the photos with his nikon D7000

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #643 of 5,671
Quote:

I think part of the whole free/open source design, means anyone can make them but I believe there was a stipulation againgst modifying the design in anyway, at least commerically. I believe the reason for this is if someone messed with the his design it may no longer meet the specs and would tarnish the object of the design.

I eventually gave up waiting for the ODA and picked up and o2/odac combo (<--amazing). I don't believe that the ODA will be done anytime soon if ever. It was a little concerning how he simply dropped off the face of the planet without any explanation. Whatever his reason... I'm grateful for all the work he did, music never sounded so good 

Yeah, I'm also using the O2 + ODAC separately, and see no issues. Maybe he's just busy with other things, and creating the ODAC might've opened up some commercial avenues for him I guess.

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #644 of 5,671
Just got my O2 in the house. Doing some comparison now with my Pioneer A-223 integrated amp.

I think the O2 is more articulate sounding, plus it's totally silent at any volumes. Also somehow the O2 bass sounds tighter and more natural. I am actually surprised that there's quite noticeable difference between these amps.. (headphone HD-600 tested)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back