O2 AMP + ODAC
Dec 14, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #511 of 5,671
Quote:
Wow, are you naturally really good at video games? Or would you give a lot of credit to your Q701's?

Well, I can answer that with just my K/D on the three most recent Call of Duty games.

My Black Ops K/D is 1.22. This was when I used an XB500 for gaming, and the fact that Black Ops 1 has awful sound for tactical purposes.

My MW3 FFA (my main game mode) K/D is 2.67. This is when I got my HD598 and my Q701, and the fact that noises on MW3 are super loud. SitRep Pro is almost a game-breaker if you're good at tracking footsteps.

My Black Ops K/D is 1.33. The sound on this game is terrible. It's so bad that I refuse to play it and I just sold it over eBay yesterday. This is despite having even better equipment than when I played MW3.

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #512 of 5,671
Quote:

Well, I can answer that with just my K/D on the three most recent Call of Duty games.

My Black Ops K/D is 1.22. This was when I used an XB500 for gaming, and the fact that Black Ops 1 has awful sound for tactical purposes.

My MW3 FFA (my main game mode) K/D is 2.67. This is when I got my HD598 and my Q701, and the fact that noises on MW3 are super loud. SitRep Pro is almost a game-breaker if you're good at tracking footsteps.

My Black Ops K/D is 1.33. The sound on this game is terrible. It's so bad that I refuse to play it and I just sold it over eBay yesterday. This is despite having even better equipment than when I played MW3.

Wow, those help a lot
eek.gif

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #513 of 5,671
Hello,

I'm using ODAC + O2, but the gain is waaay too much for my 650's if I keep the volume in the OS at maximum.

I'd like to switch to x1 gain instead of x2.5, which I heard wasn't too complicated to do. Is there a guide somewhere? Google has not come up with anything straightforward.

Thanks

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #514 of 5,671
yeah the 2.5x is more than enough for the HD650's.  i usually have my volume knob at 9 o'clock for music listening with windows volume at 80%. a 1x/2.5x gain switch would be better.

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #515 of 5,671
Hello,

I'm using ODAC + O2, but the gain is waaay too much for my 650's if I keep the volume in the OS at maximum.

I'd like to switch to x1 gain instead of x2.5, which I heard wasn't too complicated to do. Is there a guide somewhere? Google has not come up with anything straightforward.

Thanks

With ODAC the gains should be no more than 3.5x anyway, so take the 6.5x option down to 1x. I wouldn't recommend changing the 2.5x to 1x as that would leave the 6.5x option, which is mostly useless (at full volume, it will cause clipping no matter what you set the volume knob to).

Clip one end (or both) of the resistors marked R19 and R23. The idea is to effectively remove them from the circuit, so it's an open circuit there instead of the resistor. The leads are thin, so you can clip them with about anything. You see that they're right next to the volume control knob. That reduces the gain to 1x.

If you really wanted to modify the 2.5x down to 1x instead, clip R27 and R21 (and not R19 / R23).

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #516 of 5,671
I do not know if I understand right, sometimes I see people put option on O2 1x instead of 6.5x but what's the point of using an amplifier with gain 1x (which there is no gain),. This is not a waste of money?

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #518 of 5,671
Quote:
With ODAC the gains should be no more than 3.5x anyway, so take the 6.5x option down to 1x. I wouldn't recommend changing the 2.5x to 1x as that would leave the 6.5x option, which is mostly useless (at full volume, it will cause clipping no matter what you set the volume knob to).

Clip one end (or both) of the resistors marked R19 and R23. The idea is to effectively remove them from the circuit, so it's an open circuit there instead of the resistor. The leads are thin, so you can clip them with about anything. You see that they're right next to the volume control knob. That reduces the gain to 1x.
If you really wanted to modify the 2.5x down to 1x instead, clip R27 and R21 (and not R19 / R23).

Thanks for the advice.

By clipping, do you mean cutting their connection to the board? Are there any risks? Excuse the paranoia, I'm very unfamiliar with these kinds of things, so I'd rather check twice before committing to destruction. I'm not equipped at all to solder something back on if I mess up!

Quote:
I do not know if I understand right, sometimes I see people put option on O2 1x instead of 6.5x but what's the point of using an amplifier with gain 1x (which there is no gain),. This is not a waste of money?

I need the amp because I use the DAC. (to get the sound quality I'm used to when switching between different computers, bypassing their ****ty soundcards)

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #519 of 5,671
Quote:
Thanks. Are there any risks or me breaking stuff? I'm very unfamiliar with these kinds of things.

1. Be sure it's disconnected from everything.
  2. Check carefully to make sure you're cutting the right lead.
  3. Don't cut or scrape the circuit board.
  4. Don't touch any other circuit element.
  5. Check again to make sure you're cutting the right lead.

1. To be extra safe, use an anti-static wrist band. (This may be overkill.)

You just cutting a small, stiff wire.

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #520 of 5,671
Quote:

1. Be sure it's disconnected from everything.
  2. Check carefully to make sure you're cutting the right lead.
  3. Don't cut or scrape the circuit board.
  4. Don't touch any other circuit element.
  5. Check again to make sure you're cutting the right lead.

1. To be extra safe, use an anti-static wrist band. (This may be overkill.)

You just cutting a small, stiff wire.

Thank you. One question though, how can removing resistors from the board can lead to lower gain?

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #521 of 5,671

Current gain. Unity gain buffers are used in many applications.

Such an amp can provide a lot more current than the device behind it, with lower distortion and lower output impedance.

Thank you. One question though, how can removing resistors from the board can lead to lower gain?

The resistor there is in the feedback loop of the non-inverting amp. It corresponds to R1 in the diagram on the wikipedia page here. You're changing two resistors: one for left channel and the corresponding one for the right channel. With no resistor, the resistance there becomes infinite (okay, not really, just a lot).

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #522 of 5,671
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Current gain. Unity gain buffers are used in many applications.

Such an amp can provide a lot more current than the device behind it, with lower distortion and lower output impedance.

^ this

Even with a 1x gain, my headphones do benefit from the O2. The sensitive V-MODA Crossfade M-100 can detect background noise with a 2.5x gain so I avoid that option.

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #523 of 5,671
So excited for my odac+o2 combo to drive my newly acquired hd650s. Getting a bamboo front 2.5/6.5 gain stock from mayflower and a jds odac.

...Now to sell off my hd595, udac2-hp, and the (ra1 altoid tincan clone that's on the way, was gomna be a temporary fix until I got this combo) to feel a bit better !

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #524 of 5,671
I haven't tried any other decent amps, but I love my hd 650s, you won't be disappointed pairing them with the O2

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #525 of 5,671
Quote:
I haven't tried any other decent amps, but I love my hd 650s, you won't be disappointed pairing them with the O2

You like them with the O2?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back