O2 AMP + ODAC
Dec 18, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #541 of 5,671
I just ordered the ODAC, but expect some buyers remorse as my current setup is already very good. I don't think that the ODAC will make a night / day difference in sound in other words. I already own the O2 so I am skipping this Schiit! 

That said, I have to say that the $200-220 dollar Schiit stack is really competitive with the $320 dollar O2 stack (separate components / cabling). If I could have a do-over, I probably would have picked up the $285 dollar O2/ODAC combo unit or just modded myself.

Considering just how perfectly awesome the O2 is, I can't wait to see some measured performance / comparisons between the units. Then I may end up hating myself for blowing so much on headphone components (almost as much as the phones' themself - Doh!). But I know the O2, if it lasts, is going to be a great amp for all future phones' as well.

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #542 of 5,671
Quote:
That said, I have to say that the $200-220 dollar Schiit stack is really competitive

Every time some-one says this, all I can think of is Reggie Watts... erm, very much NSFW:

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #544 of 5,671
Dec 18, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #545 of 5,671
Quote:
I'll probably still end up investing in a Crack when I do get a HD650. Or HD700/800. One can only wish.

I've been keeping my eye on the Crack, but I only have one high impedance headphone.

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #546 of 5,671
Quote:
Yes he was banned...but please lets not go down that path.

Lets stick with the actual product etc...design....performance etc.

I did notice that Schiit has a new $99 amp and a new $99 dac which at the price point has caused a lot of attention and can be read about on several other
threads and at the Schiit site.

I mention this because there are and will continue to be many comparions to these new products to the O2/ODAC products.

From what little real experience some have indicated that these low level entry devices are not as good as the more expensive Schiit ASGARD or LYR of which I owned both for a year or so.

They may good, solid stuff, its just when I heard the O2 and compared well....to me there was no need to have all these amps and I sold the Schiit stuff.

The O2 and ODAC to me is about as good as it gets at this end of the spectrum cost wise, but its a very, very good example of a great well thought out design...that many of
us really enjoy....

Alex

That's really interesting to hear. I'm running my O2 with my HE-500 which are a bit power hungry but they sound great. On low gain I don't even hit 9 o'clock for normal listening volume. I'd be really interested to hear the HE-500 on a more powerful setup but it sounds like I might not be missing much if anything. The O2 was a huge step up in sound vs. the Total Bithead which I also have on my HE-500 but I think that's expected since the O2 is much more powerful as well.

How did your LCD2 compare to your Lyr in terms of sound? I really love my ODAC+O2 all in one. I'm tempted to also pick up the O2 and ODAC alone as separate units as well. I wish there was a way to thank NWAvGuy for this design.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #547 of 5,671
Quote:
I've been keeping my eye on the Crack, but I only have one high impedance headphone.

Saw the crack a while back and loved the look of it, but the price has increased substantially and now you've got other stuff to compare it to...  haven't looked too closely because I'm on a buying hiatus, but it used to be a ~$200 amp; now it's a ~$300 amp, and even if that's a fallacy with it only jumping sixty bucks, it's certainly enough to make me think twice about grabbing it when I have a capable budget amp in the O2.

Dec 19, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #548 of 5,671
HD700 sound great from the O2, a lot better than the HD650, The HE-6 sounded excellent out of a icon audio HP-8 tube amp, but the O2 still drove them fine

Dec 19, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #549 of 5,671
HD700 sound great from the O2, a lot better than the HD650, The HE-6 sounded excellent out of a icon audio HP-8 tube amp, but the O2 still drove them fine

Dec 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #550 of 5,671
Quote:

That's really interesting to hear. I'm running my O2 with my HE-500 which are a bit power hungry but they sound great. On low gain I don't even hit 9 o'clock for normal listening volume. I'd be really interested to hear the HE-500 on a more powerful setup but it sounds like I might not be missing much if anything. The O2 was a huge step up in sound vs. the Total Bithead which I also have on my HE-500 but I think that's expected since the O2 is much more powerful as well.

How did your LCD2 compare to your Lyr in terms of sound? I really love my ODAC+O2 all in one. I'm tempted to also pick up the O2 and ODAC alone as separate units as well. I wish there was a way to thank NWAvGuy for this design.

Send him an email on his blog. Google nwavguy.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #553 of 5,671
moshen...

I dont want to badmouth Schiit or its products, I have owned several and enjoyed them for what they are.

The Lyr with 6 watts was very inticing to me and thats the main reason I had one....and I went thru several sets
of tubes etc....monye, time and well.....always confusing and not very objective results...

When I discovered the O2 and its design points etc.....and finally heard the LCD2's with it ....I sold the Lyr with no hesitations....for an
amp that is 1/3 the cost....

The Lyr basically to me was too 'colored' or just added that subjective warmth sound to the source....not that that is bad for some music and
recordings....

I wanted a totally transparent amp...so i could judge the source and the transducers.....so the O2 was a perfect choice for me...

Lots of good electrical engineering design, layout, componenet selection based on facts and real data....

All the best
Alex

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #554 of 5,671
Quote:

I love to listen to people's descriptions of sound when they do headphone reviews. They use words like "color", "sparkle" , "veil" , "muddy" , and "upfront". There isn't anything wrong with this. My engineering mind simply sees this as "distortion", "distortion", "distortion","distortion". I understand that headphones will always affect sound, but IMO the DAC and AMP should never alter the sound of the source.

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #555 of 5,671
Quote:
I love to listen to people's descriptions of sound when they do headphone reviews. They use words like "color", "sparkle" , "veil" , "muddy" , and "upfront". There isn't anything wrong with this. My engineering mind simply sees this as "distortion", "distortion", "distortion","distortion". I understand that headphones will always affect sound, but IMO the DAC and AMP should never alter the sound of the source.

So what would you say about the C421 - Black edition with a bass boost?

Anyway, I am extremely interested in the ODAC and O2.
I think I'll buy them as separates because the ODAC/O2 combo does not have a LINE-LEVEL OUT (unless you mod it yourself).
(I'd prefer them in one case but with a LINE-LEVEL OUT, if it's possible. Just like the iBasso D12, etc,...).

Also, I'd like the 1/4" headphone jack which is more robust than the 1/8" one. I hope that JDS Labs can provide the 1/4" headphone jack/output.

Finally, should I go for RCA outputs? What portable/trasportable  headphone amps or DAC/amp combos under $300 require or accept RCA inputs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back