O2 AMP + ODAC
Dec 19, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #556 of 5,671
Quote:

So what would you say about the C421 - Black edition with a bass boost?

Anyway, I am extremely interested in the ODAC and O2.
I think I'll buy them as separates because the ODAC/O2 combo does not have a LINE-LEVEL OUT (unless you mod it yourself).
(I'd prefer them in one case but with a LINE-LEVEL OUT, if it's possible. Just like the iBasso D12, etc,...).

Also, I'd like the 1/4" headphone jack which is more robust than the 1/8" one. I hope that JDS Labs can provide the 1/4" headphone jack/output.

Finally, should I go for RCA outputs? What portable/trasportable  headphone amps or DAC/amp combos under $300 require or accept RCA inputs?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/640929/diy-desktop-objective2-amplifier

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #558 of 5,671
I bought the 02 not the 421....I dont want any EQ, none, zip, zeto, nada....but I can understand people wanting this and liking it....just not as accurate on the low end as I like....there are many ways with software that you can eq etc...

If asked which one I would buy it would be the 02 each and every time.....unless someone says hey I want a little bass boost etc..I would probably have a discussion about accuracy and bit perfect etc....

On all the AVR's I had in the past all the treble and bass controls to me were worthless and stayed in the center or neutral posiion...always wanted and still do the most transparent and shortest path from the source to the transducer.

I even had a cd deck that drove a PS Audion 200C amp directly, no preamp etc...one less set of cables, on less piece on interconnects etc....

The less stuff to get in the way the better...this is why I stayed away from PC and audio for years and years until the lossless formats came on the scene and bitperfect playback became do-able....

So there ya go...

All the best
Alex

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #559 of 5,671
So I have a question, it's probably a newbish question to ask, but what exactly is transparency and how does one know if X is transparent?
I see this term used a lot with the O2/ODAC so I'm curious to know about it. For instance, compared to my FiiO E7, instruments within a song just sound much crisper and well-defined. Is this transparency?

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #560 of 5,671
So I have a question, it's probably a newbish question to ask, but what exactly is transparency and how does one know if X is transparent?
I see this term used a lot with the O2/ODAC so I'm curious to know about it. For instance, compared to my FiiO E7, instruments within a song just sound much crisper and well-defined. Is this transparency?
I'm going to take a stab, I think it means that the O2/ODAC doesn't change or color the sound. It improves on what the headphone does. Like what you said about the sound sounding much crisper and well defined.

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #561 of 5,671
Quote:
Quote:

I'm going to take a stab, I think it means that the O2/ODAC doesn't change or color the sound. It improves on what the headphone does. Like what you said about the sound sounding much crisper and well defined.

That could be it. Thanks!

On a different note, does anyone have a 4-ring 3.5mm cable (TRRS connector)? With the V-MODA M-100, I the connection to the O2 is very finicky: if I push it in or rotate the jack a little, the music turns mono. For this reason, I pull out the plug a bit.

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #562 of 5,671
Quote:
That could be it. Thanks!

On a different note, does anyone have a 4-ring 3.5mm cable (TRRS connector)? With the V-MODA M-100, I the connection to the O2 is very finicky: if I push it in or rotate the jack a little, the music turns mono. For this reason, I pull out the plug a bit.

If it's really troubling you, your best bet might be to just use a different male/male 3.5mm cable.  You could also use a female trrs to male trs adapter.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #563 of 5,671
miceblue...

In the design stages of the O2 amp the designer went thru a process of identifying several specifications that he thinks can affect the signal being amplified etc...that could add or subtract from the original source.

In the design he went to great pain to design the amp to meet or exceed these specifications.

The specs are discussed in his blog.

These specs according to him if met or exceeded make the amp totally transparent to our hearing etc...

In other words what you put into the amp should come out the same way just amplified somewhat based on the gain etc...

There should be no bass boost, or treble attenuation etc....

So garbage in will be garbage out.

Great stuff in will be great stuff out...

It allows your to see what your cans really sound like or are capable of when using really good source material....

There are countless discussions all over this site and other about how "this amp" or "this dac" works with these cans etc....

With a totally transparent amp and dac...you have a good baseline to compare the other "moving" targets...

The O2 amp and ODAC allow you to do this....

Alex

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #564 of 5,671
Quote:
I think the mixed message comes from that: the O2 has enough power to give it all the volume you need.  But it does not have the power to give it the headroom and dynamics.

This interest me very much: ''the headroom and dynamics'.  I hope that the ODAC & O2 (as separates) will satisfy my DT 880 (250 Ohm) in this department.

Let me ask this:
- is the ODAC musical? (and you use your musical amp)
- is the O2 set musical? (and you use your musical DAC)
- are the DAC & O2 (as combo or separates) musical?

Obviously, the synergy between the ODAC & O2 and one's heaphones plays a key role here.

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #565 of 5,671
jack...

the amp and odac are not musical.

They are neutral...whether you hear audio in your cans sounds "musical" depends on how well your source was recorded and how well you cans or speakers reproduce them...

You need to spend some time over at the designers blog and read the instructional articles on needing more power and understand what this amp can provide to drive your cans to their fullest capability...

I believe the power capability available from this amp will exceed what the DT880 require.

Its all there in his blog...go to the O2 Headphone section, search on "880" and you will see the response etc..

Good Luck!

Alex

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #568 of 5,671
Quote:
miceblue...

In the design stages of the O2 amp the designer went thru a process of identifying several specifications that he thinks can affect the signal being amplified etc...that could add or subtract from the original source.

In the design he went to great pain to design the amp to meet or exceed these specifications.

The specs are discussed in his blog.

These specs according to him if met or exceeded make the amp totally transparent to our hearing etc...

In other words what you put into the amp should come out the same way just amplified somewhat based on the gain etc...

There should be no bass boost, or treble attenuation etc....

So garbage in will be garbage out.

Great stuff in will be great stuff out...

It allows your to see what your cans really sound like or are capable of when using really good source material....

There are countless discussions all over this site and other about how "this amp" or "this dac" works with these cans etc....

With a totally transparent amp and dac...you have a good baseline to compare the other "moving" targets...

The O2 amp and ODAC allow you to do this....

Alex

Ah, that makes sense now. Thank you for clarifying that!

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #569 of 5,671
When you read about this amp or that amp with this setup or that setup or with these tubes etc sound so good or different its because those amps are most likely adding to or taking away somthing to the source signal etc..acting as a filter or eq'ing the source...

There are other amps that are very very good as well, that ususal cost a lot more etc....than the O2 amp...

With the O2 you can achieve a totally transparent bitperfect flow for a relatively low cost....a great solution.

I would rather have a low cost transparent solution and play with cans and source material than chasing amps that make my stuff sound good or diffferent...

Many will agree and many will not...

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back