O2 AMP + ODAC
Nov 28, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #436 of 5,671
Quote:
I use a short cable that remains in the 3.5 mm mini connector in the O2 amp and plug the cans 1/4 " into the other end of the cable....this way I am not inserting the cans directly into the amp...the 3.5 mm connector in the build is not that robust of  a mechanical connector....and i dont want to have to eventually remove it and replace it. I think the duty cycle is 1000 insertions etc...so maybe its not an issue but by using this short pigtal  its not an issue...

I used to use a ($3.50) 3.5-3.5mm extension, now replaced with a ($3.99) 3.5-6.3mm extension, for exactly that reason.

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #437 of 5,671
Quote:
Here are some neat pix of someones O2 Black cube...really neat...

Just might be my next project..

Alex

Gotta say that's a very nice Desktop version of the O2!

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #440 of 5,671
Quote:
Yeah, the O2 has always interested me, but I decided to wait for the ODA. Since that doesn't look like it's happening, I'm just going to go with this.

Thanks!

I would not wait for ODA... O2 w/ ODAC instead of batteries along with suitable transformer (14-16VAC, +500 mah) is going to give you the complete desktop experience!

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #441 of 5,671
Quote:
It may not be your PSU, it could just be due to how your mobo is designed. I haven't had that particular problem with my RIVE, but I've seen similar problems before in regards to USB powered devices.

Yeah I am working on troubleshooting this with folks over at overclock.net, looking at everything I should be able to handle powering both just fine, still trying to figure it out, hoping to get it figured out before my HE-400's get here haha

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #442 of 5,671
I would not wait for ODA... O2 w/ ODAC instead of batteries along with suitable transformer (14-16VAC, +500 mah) is going to give you the complete desktop experience!
With the delay/disappearance of the ODA I'm surprised JDSLabs aren't offering a more desktop oriented version. O2/ODAC in a B80-03 enclosure with a nice transformer, 1/4" jack, and rear inputs should satisfy those sick of waiting.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #443 of 5,671
Just recase the O2 into a bigger case. Voila, desktop version. I mean, what exactly was going to change in it in the first place? I guess the only thing would to be parallel more 4556 chips in the output and beef up the PS.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #444 of 5,671
Any examples on what these actual upgrades are? And around what price?

Thanks!

Violectric (Lake People) has devices that the designer of the O2 has mentioned as being at least as good. They can do 100% of headphones (vs O2 at 98%), have large sockets (RCA etc). An HE6 user might prefer them as the amp. As for the ODAC: it;s as good as you probably ever going to find. The Benchmark DAC1, for example, might be technically better (I might be wrong about that) but the improvement is inaudible.

Both Violetric and DAC1 are very expensive.

The O2 in its original form has 3.5mm sockets which are rated to 2000 insertions. That's not much if you are thinking to use it for 15 years (and estimate form the O2 designer of its possible life-span). A typical external power supply lasts 3 to 5 years. So there is reason to favour a Violectric or the ODA both for practical as well as longevity reasons but for a big price increase.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #445 of 5,671
Here is what I gleaned from the blogs...

The ODA was to take the same objective design principles and apply them to an amp optimized for desktop use only, ie no batteries.

It was indicate that it would meet or exceed the same requirements.

With the following :

Higher quality audio inputs and outputs.

Rear Panel Connections

Wider Source Compatibility:

Higher Quality Power Supply

Headphone Protection Relay

Possible Preamp/line out

The ODA was definitely not going to be a portable amp....hence no batteries

I dont want to post whats on the blog, this is not allowed but you can easily find this stuff on it.

Alex

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #446 of 5,671
Just got my Black Edition O2 amp from JDS Labs

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #447 of 5,671
Quote:
Violectric (Lake People) has devices that the designer of the O2 has mentioned as being at least as good. They can do 100% of headphones (vs O2 at 98%)

I may have misread the article but I was under the impression when he said 98% of headphones he was referring to the other 2% as being other types such as electrostatics, which obviously aren't driven by the Violectric amps either.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #448 of 5,671
Thinking of buying the O2 Amp only from JDSLabs. Current headphones are Shure SRH940 (~40ohms), but have a friend/roommate that would also be using this with Shure SE535 (36 ohms). Is there any reason to order the O2 with a different gain configuration, or is the default 2.5/6.5 going to function fine with both headphones? I don't ever see myself needing/using the 6.5x gain unless I moved to some much more difficult to drive headphones, but I am open to suggestions/advice from those more knowledgeable on this subject :) JDSLabs also offers 1.0x/6.5x and 2.5x/1.0x so I wasn't sure if either of those would be better suited for my application.

From reading the "All About Gain" article, am I correct in thinking 1.0x is basically no gain at all, so does that mean the input signal is not boosted as much as you turn the volume knob on the amp? What benefit is there/would there be to the 1.0x gain setting in my application?

Thanks for answering my questions and for your suggestion on what gain config I should use! 

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #449 of 5,671
Quote:
Thinking of buying the O2 Amp only from JDSLabs. Current headphones are Shure SRH940 (~40ohms), but have a friend/roommate that would also be using this with Shure SE535 (36 ohms). Is there any reason to order the O2 with a different gain configuration, or is the default 2.5/6.5 going to function fine with both headphones? I don't ever see myself needing/using the 6.5x gain unless I moved to some much more difficult to drive headphones, but I am open to suggestions/advice from those more knowledgeable on this subject :) JDSLabs also offers 1.0x/6.5x and 2.5x/1.0x so I wasn't sure if either of those would be better suited for my application.

From reading the "All About Gain" article, am I correct in thinking 1.0x is basically no gain at all, so does that mean the input signal is not boosted as much as you turn the volume knob on the amp? What benefit is there/would there be to the 1.0x gain setting in my application?

Thanks for answering my questions and for your suggestion on what gain config I should use! 

There is definitely a reason to not go for 2.5/6.5... I would much rather go for 1x and 2x/2.5x. Or, at best, use SIPs that allow you to use whatever gain you want. The guy from Mayflower electronics customised me my O2/ODAC combo to perfection (see my signature). I have also seen very good options on Headnhifi.

I personally use only 1x gain as you are not amplifying anything = no distortion, you only use it as a volume knob (but you are not amplifying, only "modifying" the output loudness) and lowering output impedance.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #450 of 5,671
(yet another) newbie question...

I want the O2/ODAC combo from JDS Labs, but I only have around $175 at the moment. Should I get the O2 and use it with the laptop headphone jack for now?  or would it be better if I get something like the Fiio E17, or E10, that has a built in DAC/amp?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back