O2 AMP + ODAC
Nov 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #451 of 5,671
(yet another) newbie question...

I want the O2/ODAC combo from JDS Labs, but I only have around $175 at the moment. Should I get the O2 and use it with the laptop headphone jack for now?  or would it be better if I get something like the Fiio E17, or E10, that has a built in DAC/amp?

Thanks

If you only have $175, you should definitely get this one instead --> http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=83

No one, and I really mean no one, will hear any difference, with any kind of speaker.  They are basically identical in every single way.

Edit:  Sorry, the Hifimediy has optical-out, that's the difference.

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #452 of 5,671
Quote:

I want the O2/ODAC combo from JDS Labs, but I only have around $175 at the moment. Should I get the O2 and use it with the laptop headphone jack for now?  or would it be better if I get something like the Fiio E17, or E10, that has a built in DAC/amp?

Thanks

If you use a laptop as your main source, and have a good headphone, I'm not sure an amp will make a lot of difference, unless you're using something with a wild impedance curve (like some sennsheisers). 
Better to go for a DAC+Amp combo.

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #453 of 5,671

Thanks

You could get the O2 and then use that $42 DAC that was linked. The chips (TE7022 + ES9023) are the same ones used in the ODAC, though not as good of an implementation I'd wager.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #454 of 5,671
Quote:
Edit:  Sorry, the Hifimediy has optical-out, that's the difference.

Actually it does both!  Pretty cool.  It uses a 3.5mm jack that will accept a standard 3.5mm plug, OR it can accept a mini-toslink optical plug.

The headphone jack on my Sony VPCF112FX laptop is the same way.  They just build a led into the 3.5mm jack.  Turns out the mini-toslink plug and 3.5mm jack are the same size and both fit right in.  I can plug my headphones or my mini-toslink-to-standard-toslink optical cable going to an external amp into that laptop jack and it works just great.  All I have to do is switch the default sound device in windows from headphone to digital out and vise versa.

I have this HiFiMeDIY DAC (his ealier version w/o the fancy 3.5mm/toslink jack) and it works great.
smile.gif
   In Windows 7 it causes a Sabre driver (for the chip) to load automatically when plugged in the first time.  I'm sure the ODAC would post better numbers on a dScope or Audio Precision analyzer, by my ancient ears are not likely to hear a difference (I don't have an ODAC).

However the one hiccup is the Sony also has a built-in 24/44 and 24/96 DAC.  When I switch the internal audio settings over from 16/44 to 24/44 I really can't hear any significant difference between the headphone out on the laptop going into an amp vs. the HiFiMeDIY through the USB port even with the volume slider 2/3 down (loss of software bits).  But that is not saying anything bad about the HiFiMeDIY, but rather something good about the internal DAC in the Sony.  I guess the thing here is check your computer, if that is your source, and see if it happens to be 24/44 or 24/96 capable just the way it sits.

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #455 of 5,671
You could get the O2 and then use that $42 DAC that was linked. The chips (TE7022 + ES9023) are the same ones used in the ODAC, though not as good of an implementation I'd wager.

Yup it's $42 versus $99 / $149 for pretty much the exact same DAC, and then he has $57 - 107 extra to spend on the amplifier!!

Here are some RMAA results, all very far beyond audible limits if you want to ask the odac designer - http://alkasar.online.fr/mesures/HifiMeDIY%20SABRE%2024-96%20DAC%20v1.htm

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #456 of 5,671
I may have misread the article but I was under the impression when he said 98% of headphones he was referring to the other 2% as being other types such as electrostatics, which obviously aren't driven by the Violectric amps either.

He does mention at least one very old normal headphone (non-electrostatic) that the O2 hasn't enough power for. Also, I've understood that the HE-6 is not going to hit the transients.

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #457 of 5,671
Yup it's $42 versus $99 / $149 for pretty much the exact same DAC, and then he has $57 - 107 extra to spend on the amplifier!!

Here are some RMAA results, all very far beyond audible limits if you want to ask the odac designer - http://alkasar.online.fr/mesures/HifiMeDIY%20SABRE%2024-96%20DAC%20v1.htm

Hmmm, they may use similar chips but the implementations look quite different, so I don't know if we can say they are exactly the same. Also, the price difference is likely due to the fact the ODAC is designed and made in the USA. The HifiMeDIY is likely made in China.

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #458 of 5,671
Check out the Stoner Acoustics UD100 DAC, $50 and ClieOS has compared it to the ODAC and its nearly as good.

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #460 of 5,671
Also someone raved about this DAC recently, for $20 im really interested in getting one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELE-EL-D01-MINI-HIFI-USB-DAC-PCM2704-DAC-BOARD-ELNA-Capacitor-Black-/251075511946?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #461 of 5,671
orangecr...

The O2 amp is a totally transparent amp.

Its not supposed to add or take away anything from the source.

So if your source is not that great then your going to amplify its worts...good or bad...

This is what is so great about it...it lets pay more attention to other pieces of the reproduction chain,,,,,

Alex

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #463 of 5,671
Quote:
HiFiMeDiy Sabre or ODAC give a better result than my asus xonar dx? they get along with my fiio e11?

I have Xonar essence ST and ODAC... I would say both have very very good DAC section but the amount of detail is even better with ODAC.

E11 is a very very good but a bit coloured amp... It depends on what you want from an amp. O2 is totally uncoloured and more transparent.

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #464 of 5,671
Quote:

I have Xonar essence ST and ODAC... I would say both have very very good DAC section but the amount of detail is even better with ODAC.

E11 is a very very good but a bit coloured amp... It depends on what you want from an amp. O2 is totally uncoloured and more transparent.

mhoe but ... you can not use the ODAC and asus xonar simultaneously right? or you use one or the other ...

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #465 of 5,671
Quote:
mhoe but ... you can not use the ODAC and asus xonar simultaneously right? or you use one or the other ...

Of course you cannot... I just compared DAC sections of ODAC and Xonar essence ST, that's all :) I think that Xonar cards are of very good value and the difference is not big but ODAC is for sure better if you realise its low price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back