O2 AMP + ODAC
Jan 27, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #4,922 of 5,671
Interesting read MrMateoHead - thanks for posting this. :)

I've owned an Objective 2 for about 18 months or so - standard layout (all I/O, power, and control of front panel.I just finished updating it to have a 1/4" headphone Jack, 3.5mm input Jack removed, power input moved to the back panel, and RCA inputs installed on rear channel. I much prefer havingthese connectors mounted to the chassis.

I was recently looking into buying an ODAC. Since I'd already been looking into a portable DAC/Amp I landed on the JDS Labs C5d with th analog input to the amp changed out for a DAC-only output. This provides me with a dedicated (O)DAC at my desktop and a low profile self powered DAC/Amp to use with my Android phone on the go. I couldn't be more pleased for the value and performance on the go and at my workstation!

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #4,924 of 5,671
Hello O2/ODAC owners!

I have a problem with my Epiphany O2D (O2+ODAC), I'm getting audible hiss in the right channel, I thought I got rid of it yesterday by simply changing the USB port in which I plug the ODAC with another one on my MacBook, and that seemed to do the trick, as I couldn't hear it after that. Today I started listening with my CAL! and there was no hissing, but it suddenly came back as soon as I changed to my Grado, and now it's present again. Anyone having this problem? 

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #4,926 of 5,671
Have the Objective2 and Odac Rev B and am wondering whether anyone has found a valid solution to bit perfect audio using this setup. I read about the clipping issues with ASIO, but I am getting a similar, less severe problem with WASABI on MusicBee. Not much of a Foobar2000 fan, as I do not like the way it manages its library as apposed to MusicBee and its WASABI was great when I was previously using my ASUS Xonar STX. So stuck with DirectSound.

Any ideas on how to improve things. Music does not clip all the time, just when seeking I experience a slight delay and clip effect, which is annoying. My IRQ setup seems to include all my USB ports, which means the Odac is sharing the protocol with other power munching devices on all ports. 

Seems some of you folks have tested and tampered, and wondering whether anyone has found a bit perfect solution for the Rev 2 Odac yet?

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #4,927 of 5,671
I run a bitperfect setup with JRiver and Foobar2000.

WASAPI, event driven.

What comes in goes out with no resampling etc..

I am not familiar with MusicBee.

In JRiver there is a indicator that turns blue when BItperfect state is working,

Alex

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #4,928 of 5,671
I found this for you....This guy was using MusicBee and Win10:

I solved my problem but for the sake of others that may have the same problem I'll answer my own question.

The hard part is finding control panel in Windows 10, which turns out to be easily done with the keyboard shortcut.

1) Press WIN+X (windows key and the X key) to open the "power menu"
2) Select "control panel" from the list
3) Select "sound" from the control panel that opened up.
4) Highlight the entry that represents your external DAC device. (Note: It has to be connected to show up in the list)
5) With your device highlighted click "properties" (A new box with 4 tabs will open)
6)On the "Levels" tab make sure the volume and L&R balance are all set to 100%
7)On the "Enhancements" tab make sure "disable all enhancements" is checked. (This should uncheck everything else)
8) On the "Advanced" tab make sure "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" is unchecked! both boxes under "exclusive mode" are checked.
9) Click 'apply" then click "OK" to close the window.
10) Restart your computer and enjoy the greatly improved sound! (Assuming you had to change any settings above)

This made a huge difference on my setup and I highly recommend you check yours! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #4,929 of 5,671
  I run a bitperfect setup with JRiver and Foobar2000.

WASAPI, event driven.

What comes in goes out with no resampling etc..

I am not familiar with MusicBee.

In JRiver there is a indicator that turns blue when BItperfect state is working,

Alex

Thanks. I haven't tried JRiver. May give it a go now. May also give Foobar2000 another go too, hoping I can find the kind of customization I need this time.

I found this for you....This guy was using MusicBee and Win10:

I solved my problem but for the sake of others that may have the same problem I'll answer my own question.

The hard part is finding control panel in Windows 10, which turns out to be easily done with the keyboard shortcut.

1) Press WIN+X (windows key and the X key) to open the "power menu"
2) Select "control panel" from the list
3) Select "sound" from the control panel that opened up.
4) Highlight the entry that represents your external DAC device. (Note: It has to be connected to show up in the list)
5) With your device highlighted click "properties" (A new box with 4 tabs will open)
6)On the "Levels" tab make sure the volume and L&R balance are all set to 100%
7)On the "Enhancements" tab make sure "disable all enhancements" is checked. (This should uncheck everything else)
8) On the "Advanced" tab make sure "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" is unchecked! both boxes under "exclusive mode" are checked.
9) Click 'apply" then click "OK" to close the window.
10) Restart your computer and enjoy the greatly improved sound! (Assuming you had to change any settings above)

This made a huge difference on my setup and I highly recommend you check yours! 
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm on Windows 7, but this sounds like an interesting line of view to approach, because maybe exclusivity can be enabled in a similar fashion as well. Great advise and a few breadcrumbs to follow! Thanks.

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #4,930 of 5,671
You might also look at JDS Labs instructions for the O2 and ODAC I believe that they have directions on how to set up their stuff as well.

JRiver is not FREE. It has a great interface for viewing on large screen tv's or displays, many things in it for audio and video.

I use Foobar as well and its really easy to set up once you learn where the "stuff" is hidden!! LOL.

Also with Foobar you might have to download plugins and install to get WASPI etc...and these additional steps sometimes can be confusing, especially where to go to change settings etc once the plugins are installed.

Having your source or knowing what it is ie 44.1Khz/16bit and setting up the Operating System as in the above instructions to match this sample/but rate and use exclusive access along with the same stuff in the player....all leads to bitperfect...

Source ---OS----Player Software-----Dac------->

But remember even in bitperfect what goes in comes out or is played as recorded and mastered....even the crappy stuff!

Alex

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #4,931 of 5,671
  You might also look at JDS Labs instructions for the O2 and ODAC I believe that they have directions on how to set up their stuff as well.

JRiver is not FREE. It has a great interface for viewing on large screen tv's or displays, many things in it for audio and video.

I use Foobar as well and its really easy to set up once you learn where the "stuff" is hidden!! LOL.

Also with Foobar you might have to download plugins and install to get WASPI etc...and these additional steps sometimes can be confusing, especially where to go to change settings etc once the plugins are installed.

Having your source or knowing what it is ie 44.1Khz/16bit and setting up the Operating System as in the above instructions to match this sample/but rate and use exclusive access along with the same stuff in the player....all leads to bitperfect...

Source ---OS----Player Software-----Dac------->

But remember even in bitperfect what goes in comes out or is played as recorded and mastered....even the crappy stuff!

Alex

JDS has instructions which anyone who has used a computer already knows. LOL!

Yeah, I'm trying the free version of JRiver. Foobar2000 has always done well with audio quality for me, but the interface, although highly customisable, has never been my cup of tea, even after many hours of tinkering. I'll try again though, see if I can figure it out this time around.

My source is 24 bit 48 Khz Flac files, so that's what I've set it to. In my testing I could never hear the difference between DirectSound and Wasabi, but ASIO definitely had a slight improvement. Apparently DirectSound is wasabi without exclusive mode enabled, or that just in MusicBee.

Cannot make my mind up just yet, but looking forward to tinkering for the hell of it.

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #4,932 of 5,671
While we're on the topic of players do you guys also find that foobar outputs a thinner (and perhaps more accurate) sound than iTunes? I started with iTunes but have been using foobar almost exclusively since my library grew out out iTunes' perfomance limits.

Feb 5, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #4,934 of 5,671
I get some random clicks and pops whenever I press stop in foobar when it's playing music and in MPC-HC when playing video. This doesn't happen when I pause, only stopping. Is this normal for the ODAC? I haven't tried this with any other software because I don't use anything else.

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #4,935 of 5,671
  I get some random clicks and pops whenever I press stop in foobar when it's playing music and in MPC-HC when playing video. This doesn't happen when I pause, only stopping. Is this normal for the ODAC? I haven't tried this with any other software because I don't use anything else.

My ODAC has a similar problems. When I start a song in foobar when another is still playing, I could hear the click. I tried everything and it still happens. Not that it always does, but it's still annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back