O2 AMP + ODAC
Dec 14, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #3,766 of 5,671

ODAC performs best under a single load. To achieve published performance, we strongly discourage paralleled loads to ODAC. Properly customized assemblies allow ODAC to be disconnected from O2 when driving an external line-level device.

You can find connectivity advice in the JDS Labs O2+ODAC instructions.

Thanks for the heads up, John!

I'm not noticing any sonic degradation with the way I have it wired, though.  

Wouldn't putting a switch in front, as I have, effectively qualify as a single load depending on the switch position? Or does this still count as a parallel load? 

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #3,767 of 5,671
But give me an information. Odac is a good choice for a DAC for headphones and speakers (of course with a separate amplifier for each)?

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #3,768 of 5,671

Thanks for the heads up, John!

I'm not noticing any sonic degradation with the way I have it wired, though.  

Wouldn't putting a switch in front, as I have, effectively qualify as a single load depending on the switch position? Or does this still count as a parallel load? 

Yes, a passive switch is an excellent solution.

There's been a fair amount of confusion about ODAC's load capabilities, which has not been helped by the default O2+ODAC wiring. NwAvGuy claimed the ES9023 would respond acceptably under a 5k load (i.e., two 10k devices in parallel). We've found this is not always true. ODAC measures as expected with a single 10k+ load. Results under paralleled or smaller impedance loads are unpredictable.

Dec 14, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #3,769 of 5,671

Yes, a passive switch is an excellent solution.

There's been a fair amount of confusion about ODAC's load capabilities, which has not been helped by the default O2+ODAC wiring. NwAvGuy claimed the ES9023 would respond acceptably under a 5k load (i.e., two 10k devices in parallel). We've found this is not always true. ODAC measures as expected with a single 10k+ load. Results under paralleled or smaller impedance loads are unpredictable.

Hi John,

I'm planning to get another O2 and stack it with my existing O2+ODAC. Effectively running ODAC with 2 O2 parallel loads. The reason being that I can have 4 different gain settings for better gain matching with different headphone loads and the ability to quickly switch between 2 full-size headphones while music is playing. 

Are you saying when running parallel loads with ODAC you get inconsistent measurements? Could you publish the ODAC's measurements while driving 2 O2s in parallel? Thanks

Dec 14, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #3,770 of 5,671

Hi John,

I'm planning to get another O2 and stack it with my existing O2+ODAC. Effectively running ODAC with 2 O2 parallel loads. The reason being that I can have 4 different gain settings for better gain matching with different headphone loads and the ability to quickly switch between 2 full-size headphones while music is playing. 

Are you saying when running parallel loads with ODAC you get inconsistent measurements? Could you publish the ODAC's measurements while driving 2 O2s in parallel? Thanks

From what I can recall, ODAC performs acceptably with paralleled O2's. It struggles with reduced load impedance, and behaved less ideally with mixed, paralleled devices (i.e., an O2 and a preamp).

Sorry, I have no screenshots saved. Will update next time I have the dScope out.

Dec 14, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #3,771 of 5,671
From what I can recall, ODAC performs acceptably with paralleled O2's. It struggles with reduced load impedance, and behaved less ideally with mixed, paralleled devices (i.e., an O2 and a preamp).

Sorry, I have no screenshots saved. Will update next time I have the dScope out.

John,

On unrelated note, do you see any cons on setting the O2 at max volume pot position to use it as a "power amp", such as clipping, distortion, breakage in parts, etc.? The preamp is either the Audiolab 8200CD or the Roksan Caspian M2's preamp section.

Cheers.

Dec 23, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #3,774 of 5,671
  Hi,
i have Sounblaster Z, AD700 and K550 (just bought) headphones. Will i notice any difference if i buy O2 AMP + ODAC?

Do you notice any noise or unwanted distortion with your current setup? If so, the o2 and odac would remove this problem.

Do you feel the need to turn up the headphones to a louder volume? If so, yes the o2 and odac will give you a higher gain and allow you to reach higher volumes.

Other things that could matter would be impedance and distortion.. The o2 amp undoubtedly has a lower impedance than the soundblaster.. and the ODAC undoubtedly has less distortion..  But, will you hear a difference? Probably not. 

Look up the impedance of your headphones and the impedance of the soundblaster. If the impedance of the soundblaster is 1/8th or less of the impedance of your headphones you are in very good shape. This rule is generally accepted in the audio community.

I have not heard a soundblaster, and I have not looked up the impedance values of it, nor your headphones. I will leave this up to you.  The above information should help you decide if you should try the o2 and odac.

Good luck with your research :)

Dec 23, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #3,775 of 5,671
Don't forget the warm glow imparted by the ODAC / O2.

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #3,778 of 5,671
  Hi,
i have Sounblaster Z, AD700 and K550 (just bought) headphones. Will i notice any difference if i buy O2 AMP + ODAC?

I can answer for your K550's, but I don't know much about the AD700. I used an Xonar DG 5.1 and K550 beforehand I switched to A900X. Although let's just ignore the A900X.

The K550's with the ODAC/O2 becomes a bit brighter in lower treble and soundstage becomes a bit larger. You'd have to spend some time with the K550's to notice the difference, or if you've never heard any better headphones; you'll definitely notice the upgrade a little. The AKG K550 likes warmer sources for a bigger bass bump (i.e. a tube amplifier).

The lower treble in the AKG K550 does get fatiguing and it was smoothed out with just using Xonar DG 5.1 rather than the ODAC/O2. That's why I switched to the ATH-A900X because the K550's prefer portable devices overall.

In a nutshell, enjoy your Soundblaster Z until you decide to get a headphone that requires heavy amplification. This should give you some time to wait for the ODAC/O2 to go on sale.

Dec 25, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #3,780 of 5,671

Users who are viewing this thread

Back