O2 AMP + ODAC
Dec 2, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #3,676 of 5,671
  Negative, there is a charging circuit in anything that uses rechargable batteries to prevent this from happening. At least, anything that is well designed.. Same thing goes for your phone, except there may be a circuit in the charger as well as the phone in that case. Designers anticipate this problem. 

So, it's safe for me to just keep powering the O2 with the AC adapter with the batteries then? That's good to know.

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #3,678 of 5,671
Yup! I'm sure others will chime in with the same answer, or if I am wrong :)
I think maybe the O2 wouldn't work without the battery in there even if the adaptor is plugged. Maybe the AC current has to pass thru the batteries to get thru? But I'm not sure.

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #3,679 of 5,671
O2 will work without the batteries and powered only by an AC adaptor. It's better to leave the battery out if you are just going to use O2 as a desktop amp and no intention of using it as a portable.

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #3,680 of 5,671
If you leave the batteries in and use AC, once in awhile disconnect the AC power and use the batteries and run them down so they will be recharged. If you don't do this your batteries will most likely have a shorter lifespan.

Alex

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #3,681 of 5,671
  If you leave the batteries in and use AC, once in awhile disconnect the AC power and use the batteries and run them down so they will be recharged. If you don't do this your batteries will most likely have a shorter lifespan.

Alex

I don't quite understand. Does it mean that in order to have a longer battery lifespan, I should leave them on while running on AC?

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #3,682 of 5,671
Batteries like to go through the charge cycle every so often, it keeps them fresh. However, if you're never likely to use the O2 as a portable then there's no point in them being in there. Other than to add a little mass to counter the tugging of cables.

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #3,683 of 5,671
batteries differ by chemistry as to what they want - NiMH don't really like float/trickle charge - more recent formulations may withstand it better than older ones

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_nickel_metal_hydride

NiMH is the more common rechargable "9 V" battery today

the O2 charging circuit isn't smart enough to give good battery cycle life - but it usually isn't critical

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #3,685 of 5,671
If you don't need the batteries then just take them out.
Alex
Is there anything bad that might happen if you leave them there but permanently plug the AC adaptor? Batteries exploding like mad and destroying my headphones 1 foot farther? What would be the extent of damage? What's the radius of the explosion and after effects? Does this cause radiation? Do I have to wear masks? Is there an antidote? :D :D :D

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #3,686 of 5,671
  My new Samurai X themed O2+ODAC from JDS Labs. The free engraving turns out to be great. I didn't expect it would cover the whole area on the top.

Look nice.

My O2 and ODAC is DIY from JDS'boards. I'm thinking of wrapping them in giftwrap paper (the ODAC is put inside a plastic box, the O2 a metal one).

Dec 4, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #3,687 of 5,671

Alex
Is there anything bad that might happen if you leave them there but permanently plug the AC adaptor? Batteries exploding like mad and destroying my headphones 1 foot farther? What would be the extent of damage? What's the radius of the explosion and after effects? Does this cause radiation? Do I have to wear masks? Is there an antidote? :D :D :D
Seriously, would the battery explode or leak if I permanently plug the AC adaptor like a desktop amp?

Dec 4, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #3,689 of 5,671
Dec 4, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #3,690 of 5,671
Does any of you have the customized O2 with 6.5mm HP out jack and RCA inputs? Do you find the sound different from the regular 3.5mm out and in?

I find my customized O2 better at the low frequencies. I'm serious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back