O2 AMP + ODAC
Mar 22, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #2,206 of 5,671
  I have the C5D right not and I personally feel that it's not up to snuff.  It sound artificial.  

The thing is I've tried feeding other DACs to the O2, and I could notice the suttle differences, and favor the ODAC.   The thing is I need a good DAC/Amp combo, and from what it sounds, you think it's the amp that makes the sound transparent.  I put lots of weight on the ODAC also.  Without both, it's not transparent to me.  I guess I will try the Leckerton and find out if it can match the ODAC/O2 combo.

I will get an ODAC in the future and make further comparison. My DX50 with Rockbox sounds the most transparent to me.

I agree the C5D sounds artificial. I was hoping it to be closer to O2 since JDS Labs is making both O2 and ODAC. It would have been the perfect portable amp since it's thinner and narrower albeit longer than the leckerton but matches most DAPs in dimension.

It actually stacks perfectly with DX50 and is friendly inside my pocket. (loose pocket, not the tight ones :) )

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #2,207 of 5,671

I have the C5D right not and I personally feel that it's not up to snuff.  It sound artificial.  

The thing is I've tried feeding other DACs to the O2, and I could notice the suttle differences, and favor the ODAC.   The thing is I need a good DAC/Amp combo, and from what it sounds, you think it's the amp that makes the sound transparent.  I put lots of weight on the ODAC also.  Without both, it's not transparent to me.  I guess I will try the Leckerton and find out if it can match the ODAC/O2 combo.

I will get an ODAC in the future and make further comparison. My DX50 with Rockbox sounds the most transparent to me.

I agree the C5D sounds artificial. I was hoping it to be closer to O2 since JDS Labs is making both O2 and ODAC. It would have been the perfect portable amp since it's thinner and narrower albeit longer than the leckerton but matches most DAPs in dimension.

It actually stacks perfectly with DX50 and is friendly inside my pocket. (loose pocket, not the tight ones :) )

JDS Labs makes the C5D, they only assemble the O2 and ODAC. The latter were made by NwAvGuy ≠ JDS Labs.

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #2,208 of 5,671
JDS Labs makes the C5D, they only assemble the O2 and ODAC. The latter were made by NwAvGuy ≠ JDS Labs.

I know that. Geez just saying since they are assembling O2 and ODAC, I'm assuming they could have cook up something similar SQ-wise on a smaller package.

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #2,209 of 5,671
If you're in Singapore and have to import anyway, take a look at the Epiphany acoustics version of the ODAC/O2.  But check about the voltage offerings.  On the JDS the normal high gain setting is x6.5 I believe.  That's simply too much, distortion starts kicking in with a vengeance and it'll be driven into clipping with some cans/music/volume combos.  If JDS offer an option to lower the standard gain settings I'd take it if I were you.  

Mar 23, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #2,210 of 5,671
Your surface mount soldering looks cleaner than mine!

I also did the same mistake: soldering an IC backwards.. I fixed it by using a heatgun, and ensuring I did not apply more heat than necessary, and stopping once the IC showed signs of moving.

Thanks for the kind words and for sharing your heatgun approach! I'll definitely have to give that a try the next time I have to remove a multipin component.

Mar 23, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #2,211 of 5,671
  If you're in Singapore and have to import anyway, take a look at the Epiphany acoustics version of the ODAC/O2.  But check about the voltage offerings.  On the JDS the normal high gain setting is x6.5 I believe.  That's simply too much, distortion starts kicking in with a vengeance and it'll be driven into clipping with some cans/music/volume combos.  If JDS offer an option to lower the standard gain settings I'd take it if I were you.  

I already have an O2 and it's available locally which was from JDS Labs. The gain setting is easy to change by just clipping the resistor on the 6.5x. Now my O2 has 1x and 2.5x gain.

Mar 23, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #2,213 of 5,671

jds manuals says you need a higher rating ac converter.

Mar 23, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #2,214 of 5,671
I can't say anything about JDS as I don't own their version but I did try that with the Epiphany Acoustics one which I still own:  did't make a difference to me.  But once again, can't say about the JDS product.

Mar 23, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #2,216 of 5,671
Guys,

What is your opinion on M stage VS O2 amp?

There are very less comparisons between these two. Any light upon this topic would be really helpful.

Purely based upon SQ, ignoring all other factors like price and portability.

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #2,217 of 5,671
I need help. No, really. I was just about to order the O2+ODAC when I noticed the limited edition.

All my music is accessed via my Mac mini right now. I want to output via USB to the O2+ODAC then to my headphones. If I could also output from the ODAC via RCA (L+R) to my Marantz stereo amp which powers my loudspeakers that would be perfect.

In the specs for the limited edition it states that it has both RCA analogue input and RCA DAC line output. When I look at the photo though I only see one pair (L+R) of RCA sockets. Do these sockets act as either input or output depending on what they are connected to? Is that even possible? What am I missing? I have no use for an RCA input and can't think why anyone would.

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #2,218 of 5,671
I need help. No, really. I was just about to order the O2+ODAC when I noticed the limited edition.

All my music is accessed via my Mac mini right now. I want to output via USB to the O2+ODAC then to my headphones. If I could also output from the ODAC via RCA (L+R) to my Marantz stereo amp which powers my loudspeakers that would be perfect.

In the specs for the limited edition it states that it has both RCA analogue input and RCA DAC line output. When I look at the photo though I only see one pair (L+R) of RCA sockets. Do these sockets act as either input or output depending on what they are connected to? Is that even possible? What am I missing? I have no use for an RCA input and can't think why anyone would.

It looks like it can either output from RCA as a standalone DAC, or act as an amp from being connected to a DAC via RCA.

I'd send an email to JDS to clarify this.

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #2,219 of 5,671
@Zorrofox

Especially since you are from Europe, you would be cheaper and much better off with the Head'N'Hifi desktop version which also works as a preamp. Add ODAC normal or XL version as you like (you should also choose 1x / 3x custom gains for O2). Having everything in one case is pointless unless you really need small footprint for serious mobile use etc (but he does also have the combo version). Choose Weekly shipping option so it comes from Germany (no customs).

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #2,220 of 5,671
It looks like it can either output from RCA as a standalone DAC, or act as an amp from being connected to a DAC via RCA.

I'd send an email to JDS to clarify this.

Yeah, I've emailed them about this. They could make it a bit clearer I think. It makes sense an output bypassing the amp section (with power off) but I can't work out why anyone would need an RCA analogue input.

Thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back