O2 AMP + ODAC
May 8, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #1,411 of 5,671
Quote:
I am very happy
tongue_smile.gif
because I'm using the DT 880 (250 Ohm) with the O2 and ODAC.

Thanks for that. Judging by what you and Mr Eleventy say it seems the differences are marginal. With a 250 ohm impedance you will still get a massive damping factor with the O2's low output impedance. I read one review on HTShack where the reviewer thought the 600 ohm might be intended more for tube amps to counter their high output impedance which isn't an issue with the O2. If I go for the 250 ohm now need to decide between the Pro and Premium (or "Edition" as it is described on Beyer's website). Can you confirm which one you have if you say it sounds great with the ODAC/O2. Is it the Pro with the curly cord or Premium with the straight cable?

Regards

Mag

May 8, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #1,412 of 5,671
Quote:
Hi guys, a quick question by a total newbie: I just got an O2/ODAC combo and I'll use it with my HD598 (I'll switch to HD600 in the future). To use the amp/DAC I have to set something in my PC, like drivers or some audio settings? I'm on Windows 7 x64, my player is Foobar2k, the O2/ODAC is the one from Epiphany.

Thanks.

My advice would be to activate playback through WASAPI or ASIO. There are multiple guides available online on how to do this. I mostly use JRiver with WASAPI playback myself.

Try this guide from page 36 and forward. http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/assets/dCS_Guide_to_Computer_Audio.pdf
Page 41: Disable all enhancements and put your ODAC in exclusive mode.
Page 55: Foobar config with WASAPI or ASIO

Also USB DACs should be on their own USB-bus. I use USBview from the HRT website to determine if my DAC is alone on the USB bus.
http://highresolutiontechnologies.com/support/

May 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #1,413 of 5,671
Quote:

My advice would be to activate playback through WASAPI or ASIO. There are multiple guides available online on how to do this. I mostly use JRiver with WASAPI playback myself.

Try this guide from page 36 and forward. http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/assets/dCS_Guide_to_Computer_Audio.pdf
Page 41: Disable all enhancements and put your ODAC in exclusive mode.
Page 55: Foobar config with WASAPI or ASIO

Also USB DACs should be on their own USB-bus. I use USBview from the HRT website to determine if my DAC is alone on the USB bus.
http://highresolutiontechnologies.com/support/

The guide is really intersting, I'm reading it. About the DAC, I have it directly connected to the rear of the moterboard by USB cable, I'm not using an hub or a front panel port.

By the way, having the O2/ODAC on 18h per day can lead to problems?

May 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #1,414 of 5,671
Quote:
The guide is really intersting, I'm reading it. About the DAC, I have it directly connected to the rear of the moterboard by USB cable, I'm not using an hub or a front panel port.

By the way, having the O2/ODAC on 18h per day can lead to problems?

It's common that front and back ports share the same USB bus. The idea is to have the DAC alone on a separate USB controller. Easiest way to do this is to have mouse, keyboard on USB 2.0 ports and DAC on USB 3.0 port. Or vice versa. Otherwise use USBview to check.

Sorry, don't know about the 18h a day. 

May 8, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #1,416 of 5,671
Quote:
It's common that front and back ports share the same USB bus. The idea is to have the DAC alone on a separate USB controller. Easiest way to do this is to have mouse, keyboard on USB 2.0 ports and DAC on USB 3.0 port. Or vice versa. Otherwise use USBview to check.

Sorry, don't know about the 18h a day. 

The one selected is the DAC, the other 2 are mouse and printer (by the way I don't have all these USB ports). Unfortunately I only have USB 2.0 ports, there is another way?
Quote:
You can leave it on 24/7 forever and it won't contribute meaningfully to the life of the device. Solid state will be just fine. 

Good to hear.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #1,417 of 5,671
Quote:
Thanks for that. Judging by what you and Mr Eleventy say it seems the differences are marginal. With a 250 ohm impedance you will still get a massive damping factor with the O2's low output impedance. I read one review on HTShack where the reviewer thought the 600 ohm might be intended more for tube amps to counter their high output impedance which isn't an issue with the O2. If I go for the 250 ohm now need to decide between the Pro and Premium (or "Edition" as it is described on Beyer's website). Can you confirm which one you have if you say it sounds great with the ODAC/O2. Is it the Pro with the curly cord or Premium with the straight cable?

Regards

Mag

What I've read on this site the DT 880 Pro is not  for pleasure listening.
It's for analyzing music/sound/instruments during recording, mixing, etc.
It's for professionals working in the studio and not for us who just want to enjoy 
our favorite music and not to dissect it, analyze it, etc. and therefore 'kill' it.
In other words, the DT 880 Pro  are too analytical and too revealing, etc. 
and you'd pick up the details and not to the music as a whole.
You'll see the trees and not the whole forest.

Again, this is what I've read.

May 9, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #1,418 of 5,671
nonsense, I love my dt880s w/ O2 for pure musical enjoyment. heck, I like them better than my hd600s w/ O2. the thing is that the sound signature is neutral w/ treble emphasis and it's not for everyone but if you do, it's great.

E: Fixed. :p

May 10, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #1,419 of 5,671
Isnt this thread about the O2 amp and ODAC...not on how good or bad you think headphones are.....take that to the DT880 appreciation thread etc...
Talk about the DT880 with the O2/ODAC fine.

Alex

May 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #1,421 of 5,671
Hey guys, I built an O2 amp yesterday using components from the official BOM (or mouser suggested replacements that were newer and the same spec). The problem is I'm not really impressed about half the time I'm listening. Certain tracks sound really muddy and distorted in the bass on my HD600's and sometimes on my TF10's. Any idea what that is? Is it normal? My source is a schiit bifrost and I'm not double amping or anything. My tralucent t1 which has been compared to the O2 sounds leaps better and does not have this issue with the seeming distortion. It almost sounds like a cheap pair of ear buds that have the volume turned too high and the sound is gargled. Some other tracks sound fairly good though, so it's isolated to certain recordings, but I doubt this is how the recordings actually sound and my other amps have been "coloring" them to sound better.

May 11, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #1,422 of 5,671
Quote:
Hey guys, I built an O2 amp yesterday using components from the official BOM (or mouser suggested replacements that were newer and the same spec). The problem is I'm not really impressed about half the time I'm listening. Certain tracks sound really muddy and distorted in the bass on my HD600's and sometimes on my TF10's. Any idea what that is? Is it normal? My source is a schiit bifrost and I'm not double amping or anything. My tralucent t1 which has been compared to the O2 sounds leaps better and does not have this issue with the seeming distortion. It almost sounds like a cheap pair of ear buds that have the volume turned too high and the sound is gargled. Some other tracks sound fairly good though, so it's isolated to certain recordings, but I doubt this is how the recordings actually sound and my other amps have been "coloring" them to sound better.

Well, that's definitely not right, because there are lots of things you can accuse the O2 of being, but muddy/distorted are not among them. Did you troubleshoot it by testing it with a multimeter? If not, step #1 is to go buy one for $5-10 on Amazon and see what you might have soldered incorrectly.

May 11, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #1,423 of 5,671
Quote:

The one selected is the DAC, the other 2 are mouse and printer (by the way I don't have all these USB ports). Unfortunately I only have USB 2.0 ports, there is another way?
Good to hear.
smily_headphones1.gif

Your motherboard seems to have two USB-buses. Try to move around your USB devices between ports and separate the DAC like in the picture below.
Which motherboard is it?

May 11, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #1,424 of 5,671
Quote:

What gain are you set on ? It could be that you are right on the verge of clipping and songs that are recorded a bit "hot" break over into clipping.
One concept that seems to need repeating at regular intervals is that the O2 is a bit different in how it gets to a clipping level. Unlike about every
other amp out there, the volume control on the O2 does not influence clipping levels, but the gain setting for input level does.

May 11, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #1,425 of 5,671
Quote:

What gain are you set on ? It could be that you are right on the verge of clipping and songs that are recorded a bit "hot" break over into clipping.
One concept that seems to need repeating at regular intervals is that the O2 is a bit different in how it gets to a clipping level. Unlike about every
other amp out there, the volume control on the O2 does not influence clipping levels, but the gain setting for input level does.

Good observation, but he said he's using a Bifrost as a source, and even at the highest gain, there should not be clipping at the amount he's describing. It's not like he has it plugged into his computer's 3.5mm out and is playing at 10% OS volume. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back