O2 AMP + ODAC
May 7, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #1,396 of 5,671
I had a chance to listen to t1 (600ohm) from my Odac + o2. As far as I remember with 2.5x gain and volume control at 12 they were quite loud. I was listening to them in loud environment so for everyday use I would probably keep to 1x.

May 7, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #1,397 of 5,671
Quote:

Personally, and it is just my opinion based on my reading of what's out there, I would stockpile different headphones rather than different amps, if I wanted something new (though some amps make no attempt at transparency and so on, definitely sound different, etc.).

Also, a very important point to make is that many many amps and DACs, not just the O2 and ODAC—and for many situations and headphones, plenty of options cheaper than the two as well—have pretty excellent measurements in the areas that people test and ostensibly care about, that matter.  O2 and ODAC aren't particularly special, just two more specimens that do a pretty decent job.  Take that as you will.

Based on the output power, the noise, distortion, and so on... Almost everything should be okay.  O2 should handle most headphones in a similar manner.  Electrostatics: no.  K1000: no.  HE-6 and maybe some vintage K240 and some others: no if you listen loudly.

Many people will tell you otherwise, or say they don't like certain pairings (as for the reasons, they vary).  That's fine.  They're just talking about what they perceive when listening for themselves, for what that's worth.  Is there some phenomenon that people haven't discovered yet, that the O2 lacks or does differently than something else?  Or a different way to test things?  I think not; other people think it's out there.

Rather than have channel imbalance, you can turn down the volume in software if you're looking at really sensitive IEMs.  For fullsize headphones, O2 channel balance should mostly be in the "okay" or better range (yes, you can do better).  Typical 1 dB off at -55 dB, increasingly better at the higher rotations.  Many headphones are matched worse than that.  Anyway, it doesn't look like you're looking at sensitive IEMs.

This is more a question about headphones than amps or anything else, so maybe a different forum is more appropriate.

Thanx a lot.

JJ

May 7, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #1,398 of 5,671
Don't have an ODAC but I do have Objective2 and DT880 600ohms. Using the Aune T1 as a DAC. The O2 did a good job powering them. They do get plenty loud. I ran it at around 12-1. Higher depending on music.

May 7, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #1,399 of 5,671
Quote:

An extension cable can certainly degrade sound quality... I guess you haven't heard a crappy cable for 1 dollar or so? Try it out ,-)

That said, with quality DIY or reasonable priced adapter/cable (around 5-10USD and up, very rough estimate of course!), the only thing that could vary is frequency response (very slightly). Actual quality should be completely the same.

http://en.goldenears.net/1414
http://en.goldenears.net/KB_Columns/1921

Any sound degradation that may happen is almost entirely due to shielding. You often see a lot of DIY cable that are honestly probably worse than a Monoprice cable (which are very well made actually), as they consist of nothing but two unshielded wires that are barely twisted. 

EDIT: Sigh... I cannot navigate a forum apparently. Thought this was the most recent page for some reason.

May 7, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #1,400 of 5,671
Quote:
I am using:

laptop ---> ODAC ---> O2 ---> Beyerdynamic DT  880 (250 Ohm; 2005 Edition)

The sound is superb.
tongue_smile.gif
  Although, I believe that purists would find some something here and something there, etc.

I've never heard the DT 880 600 Ohm.

By the way, there's a very interesting  guide to  Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models with various impedances: 32 ohm, 250 Ohm and 600 Ohm.

[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More

http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Thanks very much for your reply. This is very reassuring. I read the post you link to but it seems to me the writer was using tube amps with high output impedances where things get a little complicated and its difficult to judge just the headphone rather than the headphone plus interaction with the amp.

Regards

Mag

May 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #1,401 of 5,671
Quote:
I had a chance to listen to t1 (600ohm) from my Odac + o2. As far as I remember with 2.5x gain and volume control at 12 they were quite loud. I was listening to them in loud environment so for everyday use I would probably keep to 1x.

Thanks for your reply. I checked the specs of the T1 on Beyer's website and unfortunately their sensitivity is 102dB/mW whereas the Dt880 is only 96 dB/mW so need a lot more power to get the same volume.

Regards

Mag

May 7, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #1,402 of 5,671
Quote:
Hi guys, a quick question by a total newbie: I just got an O2/ODAC combo and I'll use it with my HD598 (I'll switch to HD600 in the future). To use the amp/DAC I have to set something in my PC, like drivers or some audio settings? I'm on Windows 7 x64, my player is Foobar2k, the O2/ODAC is the one from Epiphany.

Thanks.

Set up is really very simple - it's plug & play so no drivers to install and all that's required is a couple of minor tweaks to your PC's audio settings.

Epiphany will include an instruction sheet* with your O2/ODAC combo but in the meantime here's a link to the set up guide for JDS Labs (standalone) ODAC which should give you a good idea of what's required:

http://www.jdslabs.com/pdf/Instructions_O2_Standalone.pdf

(*if the instructions aren't inside the box check the plastic pouch taped to the outside)

May 7, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #1,403 of 5,671
Quote:
Don't have an ODAC but I do have Objective2 and DT880 600ohms. Using the Aune T1 as a DAC. The O2 did a good job powering them. They do get plenty loud. I ran it at around 12-1. Higher depending on music.

Thanks for your reply. I did some research and as far as I can determine the Aune T1 has a line output voltage of 2Vrms the same redbook figure as the ODAC so your results should be comparable. However can I just clarify the gain setting you were using? I want to use my low gain which is set at 2.5x. Are your observations also based on a gain setting of 2.5x?

Regards

Mag

May 7, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #1,404 of 5,671
Thanks for your reply. I did some research and as far as I can determine the Aune T1 has a line output voltage of 2Vrms the same redbook figure as the ODAC so your results should be comparable. However can I just clarify the gain setting you were using? I want to use my low gain which is set at 2.5x. Are your observations also based on a gain setting of 2.5x?

Regards

Mag

Oh, oops. Sorry, forgot to mention that part. Yeah, 2.5x gain. My O2 is a DIY build, not back by a company for full disclosure. At home, I run E17 LO'd into the O2. Ran a variety of HPs through it but mainly DT880 600ohm, DT990 600ohm, DT770s Pro 80ohm, and Technical Pro HPT-990. I should bring my Senn HD600 home and give them a try. Thinking about selling them since DT880s get all attention.

May 7, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #1,405 of 5,671
Quote:

Set up is really very simple - it's plug & play so no drivers to install and all that's required is a couple of minor tweaks to your PC's audio settings.

Epiphany will include an instruction sheet* with your O2/ODAC combo but in the meantime here's a link to the set up guide for JDS Labs (standalone) ODAC which should give you a good idea of what's required:

http://www.jdslabs.com/pdf/Instructions_O2_Standalone.pdf

(*if the instructions aren't inside the box check the plastic pouch taped to the outside)

Thanks, taken by the enthusiasm I completely forgot to check the plastic pouch content!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #1,406 of 5,671
Quote:
Oh, oops. Sorry, forgot to mention that part. Yeah, 2.5x gain. My O2 is a DIY build, not back by a company for full disclosure. At home, I run E17 LO'd into the O2. Ran a variety of HPs through it but mainly DT880 600ohm, DT990 600ohm, DT770s Pro 80ohm, and Technical Pro HPT-990. I should bring my Senn HD600 home and give them a try. Thinking about selling them since DT880s get all attention.

Thanks for the clarification. It seems I could run either the 250ohm or 600ohm versions through this amp. The 250 ohm will go louder but have you any experience how the sound of the two differs with the O2? If they will sound virtually the same I may as well get the 250 ohm for simplicity.

Regards

Mag

May 7, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #1,408 of 5,671
Thanks for the clarification. It seems I could run either the 250ohm or 600ohm versions through this amp. The 250 ohm will go louder but have you any experience how the sound of the two differs with the O2? If they will sound virtually the same I may as well get the 250 ohm for simplicity.

Regards

Mag
I can't help you there on that. I've only heard the 600 ohms. even amongst people who have heard all three, the consensus is out. some find the 250s better, some think the 600 is better, and then there's some who think they're the same. it's up to your own ears to be really sure. The only thing that everyone seems to agree on Is that the 250 & 600 are better than the 32.

May 7, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #1,409 of 5,671
Quote:
I can't help you there on that. I've only heard the 600 ohms. even amongst people who have heard all three, the consensus is out. some find the 250s better, some think the 600 is better, and then there's some who think they're the same. it's up to your own ears to be really sure. The only thing that everyone seems to agree on Is that the 250 & 600 are better than the 32.

I am very happy
tongue_smile.gif
because I'm using the DT 880 (250 Ohm) with the O2 and ODAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back