O2 AMP + ODAC
Aug 6, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #106 of 5,671
There are "minions' on both sides.....so lets stop with that and try to be positive on the devices and share what your experiencing with this stuff...
Just using that word is enough to beat the drums loud on both sides...

So far I have not had a bad experience with this amp or dac.

The one thing I really like about it is to be able to take AC totally out of the picture....pure DC.....with so many of us wanting to get rid of any and all AC 'worts; this is a good thing to me.

My grados with this amp is totally wild...the bass is really , really tight and defined not as "dee[" as the LCD2's but OMG nice for what the Grados are...I put the Grados on the Lyr I have and the high end softens up alot. That said I believe the o2 is more accurate depiction  of what is really going on.

I never knew what the Grados could sound like until I plugged them into the O2. This was without the ODAC in the picture at all.

I just got a O2 amp pc board from JDS and will put one together so I can have one my main listening room and take one to work!

All the best
Alexu

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #107 of 5,671
Well the amp is not nearly as transparent as the ODAC which is why I'm not as big a fan of it yet it's exhaulted as sonic perfection simply out of lack of a better reference by most.

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #108 of 5,671
Quote:
There are "minions' on both sides.....so lets stop with that and try to be positive on the devices and share what your experiencing with this stuff...
Just using that word is enough to beat the drums loud on both sides...

So far I have not had a bad experience with this amp or dac.

The one thing I really like about it is to be able to take AC totally out of the picture....pure DC.....with so many of us wanting to get rid of any and all AC 'worts; this is a good thing to me.

My grados with this amp is totally wild...the bass is really , really tight and defined not as "dee[" as the LCD2's but OMG nice for what the Grados are...I put the Grados on the Lyr I have and the high end softens up alot. That said I believe the o2 is more accurate depiction  of what is really going on.

I never knew what the Grados could sound like until I plugged them into the O2. This was without the ODAC in the picture at all.

I just got a O2 amp pc board from JDS and will put one together so I can have one my main listening room and take one to work!

All the best
Alexu

Here's a link to the wikipedia page on the word "minion" for clarity http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minion

I think you should re-read my post.  And making claims about "accuracy" using Grados is a bit ridiculous since Grados are about the most inaccurate headphone on the market.  You really can't have any idea what is a more realistic depiction of what is going on if you're using Grados because the whole picture is completely unrealistic.  Fine if you prefer the O2 with your Grados that's awesome, but that doesn't mean it's accurate. 
wink.gif

Aug 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #109 of 5,671
I found a third variant from Mayflower electronics (http://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/products.html) at a lower price than I've seen anywhere else, however I can't find any feedback from other headfiers on mayflower. I'm interested in getting just the O2 amp for as cheap as possible, and I'd like to buy from mayflower but I'll probably hold off until I hear from someone else that they have had a good transaction with the site. Has anyone bought anything from mayflower?

Aug 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #110 of 5,671
Quote:

Here's a link to the wikipedia page on the word "minion" for clarity http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minion

I think you should re-read my post.  And making claims about "accuracy" using Grados is a bit ridiculous since Grados are about the most inaccurate headphone on the market.  You really can't have any idea what is a more realistic depiction of what is going on if you're using Grados because the whole picture is completely unrealistic.  Fine if you prefer the O2 with your Grados that's awesome, but that doesn't mean it's accurate. 
wink.gif

Why do we bother with the "perfectly" measuring ODAC/O2 if we want to hear such a large amount of linear and non-linear distortion from the transducer and the enclosure in the first place? The answer is simple: we don't want our massively distorted headphones to be polluted by any more distortion, even if such distortion is a magnitude or more lower than the headphone. I hope that makes perfect sense to you.

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #112 of 5,671
Quote:
Well the amp is not nearly as transparent as the ODAC which is why I'm not as big a fan of it yet it's exhaulted as sonic perfection simply out of lack of a better reference by most.

It's not just you saying this, but addressing the idea that the ODAC is the better value:

If you ignore everything about the sound and look only at the measurements and those of competing products, it seems to me that the O2 would be considered a better value for the money.  Granted, there aren't extensive measurements available for every single competing product.  What's the cheapest amp with similar output power levels (for those who don't remember, above 600 mW across many loads but limited by 7V rms), similar noise levels (about -115 dBV, A-wtd), and lowish output impedance?  That's not to mention the ability to use on battery, which some people actually utilize, despite the size and weight.

I would suspect that a lot of sound cards and pro interfaces at around that cost or not too much higher, not to mention other audiophile DACs, can put up similar or even better figures than the ODAC can.  Or do they not?

Take that as you will.  (I don't mean to restart a traditional audio benchmarks vs. listening experience debate, just saying that this situation has come up again.  Either that, or somebody can tell me that I'm wrong in my assessment of the market.)

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #113 of 5,671
ok....

thanks for the minion definiton...all warm, and fuzzy now...there are minions on both sides...or you will find that many owners of stuff turn into minions trying to convince themselves
and others that their purchase is the best and others are el crapo.

minion is a follower devoted to serve his/her master relentlessly...still has an overall negative feel to it....minions dont usually allow for any other views other than their masters...

the point i was trying to make is that until i used the grados with the o2 they sounded less than stellar...with the 02 amp they really 
sound very clean, clear and precise vs they way they sounded to me with other amps.

Never said they were accurate....they subjectively to me sound good.

The LCD'2 have a nice flat FR curve and are more accurate than the grados for sure but they sound very much different...

Having an amp that measures well is good to me....if the measurements are taken properly, accurately then thats one less thing that gets in the way in my analysis...then its on to the listening and the proof of the pudding.

If i listen to a the LCD2's with this amp compared to others that cost more...and can not really hear any differences then why pay the higher price??? 

I would like to see all amps etc have the same set of measurements for all the world to see.....then at least we all start out on the same baseline...and again let the listening begin...

I am not an O2 fanboy, but when i see world class stuff...at this low price, well it is what it is.....and it again allows lots of us without DEEP pockets to enjoy all kinds of cans to be played as about as good as it gets depending on your source material and your subjective brain mood at any one time..

Building stuff with the least amount of parts, at the lowest cost that competes with stuff an order of magnitude says it all..

All the best
Alex

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #114 of 5,671
Aug 7, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #115 of 5,671
Quote:
Most people agree the Odac is good for the price. 

The arguments all start with the wild, inexperienced, often quite ignorant claims his minions make, which are fueled by V's motives and methods.  So clearly we start talking about that.  If his minions would stick to topics both subjective experience and objective knowledge they really had experience with and understood, these threads would stay much more rational and honestly quite positive, because everyone I know with good ears, experience with a lot of gear, and great understanding of measurements etc, think the Odac is good for the price.

of course it is, the price is based on a false economy, all of the costs to bring it to market, prototype, support etc are void. now there will be a raft of people who believe thats what products should cost. its ridiculous and is not positive for the industry. no question the industry needed a bit of a shake up, but this wasnt the way to do it. the high end is completely un-phased; but some good people wanting to release good products at reasonable prices have been so far undercut that theyve been selling the parts they bought and thrown in the towel.

the end game would be completely homogenous, sounds great hey guys?

adydula: are you sure you understand the word minion? I dont think you do.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #116 of 5,671
now there will be a raft of people who believe thats what products should cost.
Recently there was a group buy attempt on Reddit. I don't think they appreciate how cheap these products already are.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #117 of 5,671
Quote:
Recently there was a group buy attempt on Reddit. I don't think they appreciate how cheap these products already are.

agreed, if the real costs were factored into the design in a sustainable manner, it would be operating at a loss.

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #119 of 5,671
and why would I post that? add insult to injury and betray a confidence. why does it matter to you anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back