O2 AMP + ODAC
Mar 28, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #1,157 of 5,671
while were on the subject of cables. the usb cable that came with the odac from jds labs has a plastic "bottle" for lack of a better word near the micro usb end. is that important? can i use the shorter (with no plastic bottle) micro usb cable that came with my e11 for arguments sake?

Mar 28, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #1,158 of 5,671
Quote:
while were on the subject of cables. the usb cable that came with the odac from jds labs has a plastic "bottle" for lack of a better word near the micro usb end. is that important? can i use the shorter (with no plastic bottle) micro usb cable that came with my e11 for arguments sake?

I believe you're referring to a ferrite bead. It's used to prevent interference from the devices. I have no experience with the odac so I don't know if it's prone to interference but I know most of the time, USB ports on computers are pretty noisy themselves. MIght be safer to grab one with a bead.

E: Just about any micro cable will work, just use the one that sounds clean to you.

Mar 28, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #1,159 of 5,671
There are a lot of claims and conjecture out there with little to no supporting evidence of high credence.  It's hard to say what really counts without some stringent testing, but you should be able to make some good guesses otherwise.

The "plastic 'bottle'" thing near the end would be a ferrite bead, which mainly filters out some high-frequency noise.  Seeing as the DAC is powered from USB, this is a good thing; you could possibly even think of it as part of the power supply.  That said, there is filtering on board and I don't think it should really make much of a difference to not have one.  If there's any difference, it would manifest itself in background noise levels (mostly; you probably wouldn't get anything else significant without any increase in noise), so if you don't hear any hiss then you're good to go.

So it's almost certainly not important in the sense of working or in terms of using it and performance, but it probably helps benchmark results in some small but measurable way.  Depends on the source computer.

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #1,160 of 5,671
Thanx to all of You. So, no Forest, Monster, ... USB cables.

However, I've a little problem. The USB cable which came with the ODAC -
it's also posted among cables on the JDS Labs site - is way too long.
So, this fact triggered my search for shorter (and perhaps better quality)
USB cables. Now, in Staples there's a Monster USB Mini and Micro cable of which length
is only 6 inches (and costs $20).
This is the same Monster cable which  I posted above (1.5 feet=45 cm long for $25).

Can you recommend any shorter (and cheaper) USB cables than the 6" Monster cable ($20) for the ODAC to connect to my laptop.
Also, is a 6" USB cable a good idea? While using the 6" cable, the ODAC and also the O2 (as two separates) must be very close to my laptop's EMI/RFI?  Does it matter?

I can't get the exact size for the cable I have at the moment, but I got one from Monoprice.com that's shorter than the 1.5 ft. one from JDS Labs for < $5.

Mar 28, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #1,161 of 5,671
Can you recommend any shorter (and cheaper) USB cables than the 6" Monster cable ($20) for the ODAC to connect to my laptop.

Get one of these. I have a bunch and they rock.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dmobile&field-keywords=mini+usb+retractable&rh=n%3A2335752011%2Ck%3Amini+usb+retractable

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #1,162 of 5,671
Thanx to both of You. I'll check the Monoprice.com and those retractable Mini USB cables on the amazon.com as well.
As we know, the ODAC uses the Mini USB connection and not the Micro USB connection.
So, yes on Mini and Micro.

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #1,163 of 5,671
Well, aren't You all wrong, because of this:

Quote:
Borrowed a very expensive USB cable this past week to try in my big rig at home.  Source is a Mac Mini > Pure Music (Integer mode) > Ayre QB9.  I had been using the cable that came with the QB9.  As much as I hate to admit it was a huge step up in performance - much greater transparency that allowed much more musical nuance to come through.  Using the expensive cable, playing Emmylou Harris's Boulder to Birmingham (Producer's Cut 24/96), her emotion comes thru in the music and hits hard.  And the QB9 runs asynchronous transfer mode, so you wouldn't think USB cables should change the presentation.

Of course all good things must come to an end - cable has to be returned tomorrow.  Took it out the system and put in the old.  Decided to play Boulder to Birmingham one more time.  All that sense of emotion was gone....

Before you flame.  Went upstairs to talk to my wife who was in bed in another room.  First thing she said:  Something changed - the song didn't sound nearly as good the last time you played it.  She didn't even know I had a borrowed USB cable in the system.  Wasn't a DBT, but it certainly was a blind test....

Post #525 in the thread: "USB cable and Sound Quality" - Page 35
http://www.head-fi.org/t/617026/usb-cable-and-sound-quality

Here's a reply (post #528) to the above post:

Quote:
Don't you think that the fact that the emotional response changed might have something to do with your own emotions?

Interesting that your wife noticed a difference, especially since she was in another room in a separate floor in the house.
Did you ask her if something changed or did she just say it out of the blue

P.S.
The above mentioned thread is a very interesting one.

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #1,165 of 5,671
Quote:
[...]
The "plastic 'bottle'" thing near the end would be a ferrite bead, which mainly filters out some high-frequency noise.  Seeing as the DAC is powered from USB, this is a good thing; you could possibly even think of it as part of the power supply.  That said, there is filtering on board and I don't think it should really make much of a difference to not have one.  If there's any difference, it would manifest itself in background noise levels (mostly; you probably wouldn't get anything else significant without any increase in noise), so if you don't hear any hiss then you're good to go.
[...]

Would the background noise be analogous to the video "sparklies" produced with a marginal HDMI cable?

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #1,167 of 5,671
Quote:
Quote:
Well, aren't You all wrong, because of this:
[...]

What he claims is simply impossible with digital communication (including USB.)

From someone with both the qualifications and decades of actual experience:

Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I inquired about a separate usb to spdif converters because there might people (like me) who love the sonic signature of their DACs (even if it is not the most transparent) but are looking for a better transport using their computer, and I tought that a company like yours would make competitive products in that segment.

While I understand that integrating everything in one box would be optimal, there are separate usb to spdif converters popping out every day (bel canto, musiland, Stello, wavelengthaudio ...) and I believe that a "pro" company could make a cost effective no-nonsense product in that segment of audio gear that many people would be intersted in. This is just my point of view on the subject 
o2smile.gif

OK, I understand what you want. I will reply to that, and not leave it hanging.

I like to do what I do best.

I have been making analog to digital and digital to analog converters for many years. My first one was around 35 years ago (the first 8 bit at 100MHz). I made converters for instrumentation, medical, telecom, industrial and so on. Of course I have been specializing in audio converter for the last 24 years. I chose audio because I am both a musician and an EE (electronic engineer). To do a good job of it, one has to know both analog and digital, and being a musician certainly helps. So I put it all together into making audio converters and some audio analog gear (mic preamps).

USB is a needed function, and so is SPDIF, AES and more. But for me, those are, for the most parts, long protocols, hundreds of pages of what bit to stuff in what register in which memory. It needs to be done, but it is not what I find exciting. So much of those protocols have to do with conforming to standards... The first bit of the first byte tells you if the stereo standard is PRO (AES) or Consumer (SPDIF). There is a bit for copy protection, some bits indicating sample rates, bits for word length... even bits to mark the time of day!

It all needs to be done, and I respect folks that do a good job of it, and when needed I too do it. But it is just not my cup of tea. I like music. I play music. I like electronics hardware design. So I do what I like, and I am my most critical customer.

Other then that, as I already mentioned, integration is a good thing. and putting circuits near each other often yields better results. Using one chassis, one supply (and so on) is more cost effective then using multiple chassis, and supplies... Avoiding cables and connectors and using a 1 inch solid soldered trace often has much to offer...

I am not at all sure that my stand alone USB box would be better then another such box. If both units conform to the protocol correctly, the main difference will be about timing: synchronous or asynchronous operation for the USB (my DA11 asynchronous) and jitter.

When it comes to jitter, most of it is about how well the jitter is being "cleaned out" INSIDE the DA converter, AFTER the USB to spdif conversion.

A USB to SPDIF offering low jitter but driving a poor DA will yield poor results.
A USB to SPDIF with much more jitter, driving a DA with good jitter rejection will yield much better timing, and if the rest of the DA is good, the results will be good (jitter is only one factor in making of converters).

Keep in mind that with a separate USB to SPDIF, there is still a cable issue, leading to the DA. With the cable, one gets more jitter introduced by electromagnetic interference, termination tolerance, separate grounds for the chassis (thus ground currents) and much more (there are at least 5 more factors that come to my mind). Putting the circuits INSIDE the DA, with a proper layout, yields much better jitter outcome.

Regards
Dan Lavry

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #1,168 of 5,671
From the above post (#1170):

Quote:
Keep in mind that with a separate USB to SPDIF, there is still a cable issue, leading to the DA. With the cable, one gets more jitter introduced by electromagnetic interference, termination tolerance, separate grounds for the chassis (thus ground currents) and much more (there are at least 5 more factors that come to my mind). Putting the circuits INSIDE the DA, with a proper layout, yields much better jitter outcome.

Very interesting!

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #1,169 of 5,671
Quote:
Would the background noise be analogous to the video "sparklies" produced with a marginal HDMI cable?

Not really.  Issues with HDMI picture quality at the fringe of not working are due to bit errors, an issue with the digital communications.  Not all the correct 1s and 0s get received.

Power supply filtering on the USB cable (via ferrite bead, so to speak I guess) is about cleaning up the power supply, thus making the analog output marginally less noisy.  This is with all the 1s and 0s properly received, with or without the ferrite bead.  

Well, I don't know, to make sure I need to find a wife .... buy very expensive USB cables...
..  and see whether she'd notice the difference in sound quality.

Be careful reading anecdotes, examples.  In general, maybe something happened, maybe it didn't.  Trace all the implied cause and effect relationships and make sure they all check up.  Is there any repeatability of results?  Statistically significant repeatability?

Often times people do informal experiments and say they're comparing A vs. B (say, audio components).  However, in reality, when swapping, they also could be changing listening position, the way they listen, expectations, etc., and many other factors that also have an impact.  Sometimes it's just different volume levels.  And they also retain the memory of the previous experience while going through the new one.  If a trial is supposedly (usually single-) blinded, are there any possible clues that might give away the answer?  See Clever Hans, for example, for the horse that could do arithmetic (not really).  When self-reporting and thinking about things, there is a tendency to remember the unusual events but not the common ones.  etc.  When C seems to be correlated with D, is that because C causes D, D causes C, E causes both C and D, there's actually no correlation but actually you have an insufficient sample size, or what?

Anyway, my advice is to leave the thinking cap on and search for different potential explanations.

From the above post (#1170):

Very interesting!

With respect to Lavry's response that Currawong posted, a couple considerations:

(1) If you're working hard on a problem, if you want to make the ultimate audio device for max peace of mind, and if you're selling a product, you're going to frame issues in a way that highlights your expertise and the importance of the things you're doing and the problems you're considering.
(2) The kinds of differences, changes being referenced may or may not have a big impact, may or may not even be audible.  Keep things in perspective.

As for jitter and S/PDIF, Lavry makes an important point, one that's too often overlooked:  it's mostly about how the DAC is handling things, what's actually happening for the D/A.

What he claims is simply impossible with digital communication (including USB.)

In general, lots of things are possible with digital communications.  With the right links, right conditions, you can definitely get bit errors, and thus unintended results (depending on how the errors are handled).  Different systems have different levels and types of error detection and/or correction.  Some have none.

But with USB, the actual sonic effect most probably should not be anything like what was implied.  By the way, USB bit error rates are supposed to be better than 10^-12 or so to meet spec.

Currawong's example of S/PDIF (digital communications) being a possible issue is another case where you're really talking about the peculiarities of an analog signal affecting an analog process somewhere down the line.  Even supposing that the S/PDIF link sends all the bits properly and they're all received (happens all the time -- success for the digital communications), if the D/A process (which is analog) uses or is affected by the timing and jitter of the S/PDIF input signal (an analog waveform, which represents digital data), the audio performance (analog) of the D/A process could be impacted.

Again, may or may not be impacted audibly (most usually not), but it's something that's real.  As mentioned before, it depends heavily on the D/A design and what that's doing.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #1,170 of 5,671
Quote:
Quote:

Not really.  Issues with HDMI picture quality at the fringe of not working are due to bit errors, an issue with the digital communications.  Not all the correct 1s and 0s get received.

Power supply filtering on the USB cable (via ferrite bead, so to speak I guess) is about cleaning up the power supply, thus making the analog output marginally less noisy.  This is with all the 1s and 0s properly received, with or without the ferrite bead.

From 1986 through 2001, I was a programmer working (almost) solely on digital communications, so it's often trivially easy to recognize silly claims about cables, etc. OTOH, 100% of this work was with cables with didn't include a separate power conductor. I had considered only the recovery of the digital signal in my claim.

Thanks. It's good to learn something new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back