O2 AMP + ODAC
Apr 3, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #5,071 of 5,671

headphones will typically be in the 16 to 600ohm area, and those in the 16ohm area will most likely be IEMs with very high sensitivity needing very very little power. 5mW will get most IEMs pretty loud.
while speakers are at least in theory dancing in the 4 to 8ohm area, while needing a lot of power. usually a few W.
different amps for different needs.

Thanks. So if i plug the bananas from my pair of Eltax, no sound at all? Someone has tried with passive speakers?

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #5,077 of 5,671
Absolutely neutral. The only thing it does that it amplifies the signal without any kind of added flavor whatsoever. Dead clean. Don't expect any kind of coloration. Same goes with the ODAC. I'm selling my combo now but they served really well me in the past 1,5 yrs. You get value for your money I think.
  anyone?

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #5,079 of 5,671
  Absolutely neutral. The only thing it does that it amplifies the signal without any kind of added flavor whatsoever. Dead clean. Don't expect any kind of coloration. Same goes with the ODAC. I'm selling my combo now but they served really well me in the past 1,5 yrs. You get value for your money I think.

This I can agree 100%. When you plug your headphones into the O2 ODAC you're gonna hear the "vanilla" sound of your headphones.
  Is there an audible difference between ODAC and ODAC rev. b?

No. If my memory serves me well even JDS or Yoyodyne confirmed that somewhere.

May 12, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #5,081 of 5,671
Just ordered myself a JDS O2 amp to power my LCD-3 thru Macbook Pro Retina in the meantime. Going to get Schiit Gungnir multibit + Mjolnir 2 combo later when I move to a bigger place.
I asked the customer rep whether I should get the O2 or O2+ODAC combo. Surprisingly, he told me that the Macbook Pro Retina has a reputation DAC and he suggest me to skip the ODAC and just get the amp. Very great customer service experience. Hope I will enjoy it when it arrives. :)

May 12, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #5,082 of 5,671
  Just ordered myself a JDS O2 amp to power my LCD-3 thru Macbook Pro Retina in the meantime. Going to get Schiit Gungnir multibit + Mjolnir 2 combo later when I move to a bigger place.
I asked the customer rep whether I should get the O2 or O2+ODAC combo. Surprisingly, he told me that the Macbook Pro Retina has a reputation DAC and he suggest me to skip the ODAC and just get the amp. Very great customer service experience. Hope I will enjoy it when it arrives. :)

Oh my...

Definitely buy the ODAC as soon as you can. Even though I no longer keep it, the ODAC is still one of my best purchase ever.

May 19, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #5,085 of 5,671

After playing around with a Lehmann clone, I revisited my O2 amp and decided to do a complete rebuild.  Got a new PCB from JDS labs and spent some time on Mouser.  The Vishay-Dale resistors on the power supply and management circuits are total overkill, but I like the little brown sausages.  The electrolytic caps are Panasonic FR and FM's.  I'm running 1.1x and 4x gain.  I know I can just leave the 15K resistor out and get 1x gain, but I can't stand the empty space.  The 1.1x gain is perfect for my AKG K7XX and the 4x gain works well with the DT900 600 ohm.  I got a NE5532 in the gain stage op amp in the picture, but I stuck in an OPA2107 I had lying around (no instability or distortion, can't really tell a difference truthfully, but it make me feel warm and fuzzy so why not?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back