O2 AMP + ODAC
Feb 22, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #4,066 of 5,671
Feb 22, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #4,068 of 5,671
So 7Vrms clipping point would come up to how many dB?

Clipping should occur close to 110dB listening volume. It's easy to refer to an SPL chart

Slightly off topic: Peak output from O2 is 7.55VRMS for 150+ ohm loads. I need to verify how NwAvGuy arrived at the 7.0VRMS limit. It may be a conservative rounding error. Or a real input limit. Poke me if this isn't answered this week!

Edit: Sorry for the repeat posts, headwacker. I'll sign off.

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #4,069 of 5,671
O2 will start to clip around 6.8 Vrms. Theoretically O2 can only drive HE-6 at 113dB max.

113dB is very loud sir! 113dB isn't enough on your classical music you mentioned?

Clipping should occur close to 110dB listening volume. It's easy to refer to an SPL chart

Peak output from O2 is 7.55VRMS. I need to verify how NwAvGuy arrived at the 7.0VRMS limit. It may be a conservative rounding error. Or a real input limit. Poke me if this isn't answered this week!

110dB is good enough for me! And that's the extreme hungry power HE-6. Don't understand the talk about O2 lacking power.

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #4,070 of 5,671

Peak output from O2 is 7.55VRMS. I need to verify how NwAvGuy arrived at the 7.0VRMS limit. It may be a conservative rounding error. Or a real input limit. Poke me if this isn't answered this week!

No harm done John. Your post is just as important and informative. I think Nwayguy just use 7Vrms as a conservative limit but O2's measured peak is well beyond 7Vrms. I think it's 7.3Vrms if you extrapolate it from his published measurements at 150 and 600 Ohm load. 

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #4,071 of 5,671
113dB is very loud sir! 113dB isn't enough on your classical music you mentioned?
110dB is good enough for me! And that's the extreme hungry power HE-6. Don't understand the talk about O2 lacking power.

113dB is an ideal level. Usually you have 1 to 3dB margin of error. So John's estimate of 110dB represents real world usage scenario. That is why I always add 3dB on top of my target SPL when looking for an amp.

Try it first so you can see why. Classical music has lots of peaks and and silent passages. And the difference between the silent and the loudest level is around 20dB to 30 dB. Modern pop/rock songs (highly compressed) would work and enough for HE-6 driven by O2.  

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #4,072 of 5,671
Feb 24, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #4,074 of 5,671

Slightly off topic: Peak output from O2 is 7.55VRMS for 150+ ohm loads. I need to verify how NwAvGuy arrived at the 7.0VRMS limit. It may be a conservative rounding error. Or a real input limit. Poke me if this isn't answered this week!

7.55V RMS at clip, or with THD under 0.1%?
With 12V Rail, and tossing about 0.35V on the schottky diode (D1/D5), leaves 11.65V to the OP-amp.
7.55V RMS is 10.68V peak, which leave less than 1V to be shared between the Vce of the VAS BJT, and the Vbe of the driver.
Given the Vbe of the driver around/at-least 0.65V, leaves less than 0.35V for the Vce of the VAS BJTs, and BJTs really do not like to work in that area, in the analog space.

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #4,075 of 5,671
Can someone explain a bit how well the ODAC scales up to higher grade DAC's? How much would I have to spend to get a decent upgrade out of the ODAC loop?

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #4,076 of 5,671
  Can someone explain a bit how well the ODAC scales up to higher grade DAC's? How much would I have to spend to get a decent upgrade out of the ODAC loop?

+1 I'd also like to know where to go next.

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #4,077 of 5,671

First, you need to come up with a  definition for  'higher grade DAC'.

Other than that, the answer depends on the game master of whichever fantasy role play you subscribe to. 

In other words, outside of objective parameters, everything is intangible, unverifiable, and subjective.  

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #4,079 of 5,671

First, you need to come up with a  definition for  'higher grade DAC'.

Other than that, the answer depends on the game master of whichever fantasy role play you subscribe to. 

In other words, outside of objective parameters, everything is intangible, unverifiable, and subjective.  

I was going to type out paragraphs, but I'm going to throw that out the window.

If I spent $350 on a DAC like a Little Dot DAC_I or Schiit Bitfrost, would I hear an upgraded difference other than coloration? Such as more detail retrieval and the "speed of sine waves" (for lack of a better term), because from what my understanding is; there is a loss of 1's and 0's from a digital signal to an analogue signal.
I can only assume that paying more money for a DAC means better engineered DAC's that converts the 1's and 0's to just 1's and 0's instead of half a 1 and sometimes no 0.
Right now I'm going for a Little Dot Mk.3 amp, and I'm wondering if there would be any reason to upgrade from the ODAC.

Edit: I'm not here to prove a point, I'm just here to ask for opinions on whether or not it's worth to spend the extra money to upgrade from the ODAC. Just purely based on experience. I know how subjective audio can get and I'm not here to start another sound science debate.

P.S. the headphone I'm using is an AKG Q701.

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #4,080 of 5,671
I was going to type out paragraphs, but I'm going to throw that out the window.

If I spent $350 on a DAC like a Little Dot DAC_I or Schiit Bitfrost, would I hear an upgraded difference other than coloration? Such as more detail retrieval and the "speed of sine waves" (for lack of a better term), because from what my understanding is; there is a loss of 1's and 0's from a digital signal to an analogue signal.

I can only assume that paying more money for a DAC means better engineered DAC's that converts the 1's and 0's to just 1's and 0's instead of half a 1 and sometimes no 0.

Right now I'm going for a Little Dot Mk.3 amp, and I'm wondering if there would be any reason to upgrade from the ODAC.

Edit: I'm not here to prove a point, I'm just here to ask for opinions on whether or not it's worth to spend the extra money to upgrade from the ODAC. Just purely based on experience. I know how subjective audio can get and I'm not here to start another sound science debate.

P.S. the headphone I'm using is an AKG Q701.

I'm just gonna roll with that and "save" money for my amp.

Thanks for the share.

I suggest you invest in a DAC and just buy a transparent amp like the O2--as transparent as a wire with gain.

Problem with people saying "all DACs are the same" is that they're comparing DACs with the SAME digital filter (most common is standard/linear filter). IME, they would all sound the same. So when you look for a DAC, one should look at the digital filter or filters used.

Some filters have pre-ringing, post-ringing, rolls off the high frequency slower/faster/suddenly/earlier/later, and some has different amounts of timing phase delays. All these affect the SQ. Now if you're told that a certain DAC sounds better and because of it it's much more pricey, but it has a same standard linear filter as that of the ODAC, IME you're being snake oiled. But if the filters arent the same, look at the implementation of the filters as one could have pre-ringing and later rolling off but faster/sudden rolling off, while the other have no pre-ringing and earlier rolling off but slower. These two filters would sound dramatically different, unless the implementation were designed to offset their peculiar characteristics and they eventually ended up sounding the same.

As usual, my honest advise is invest in a DAC with several digital filters to choose and good implementation. Then just get a transparent amp that would just "transport" the sound from the DAC.

My honest 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back