O2 AMP + ODAC
Mar 26, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #2,251 of 5,671
Listen to something like the FiiO X5 or E12. Both are infamous for having a small soundstage. Then compare it to the O2, which is known to have a large soundstage.

This is just a random guess.
I think this has to do with the resolving power of your dac and mostly headphone/speakers

I suppose soundstage is basically sound localization. A small difference in amplitude and L/R balance are sonic cues for our brains to understand where sound comes from. So, if your dac/headphone can't resolve those details , then the info would be lost.

It would be nice if someone could find a journal on this. I haven't got a science journal DB since I graduated
confused.gif

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #2,252 of 5,671
The initial comparison I made was between my headphones. My Q's have a bigger soundstage than the M's because the Q's are open cans whereas the M's are closed. My M's have more bass because they are closed whereas my Q's are open. I am not a scientist. Luckily, to appreciate good sound I don't need to be.

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #2,253 of 5,671
Or maybe it's because those tiny portable amps have so many twists and turns in their circuitry in order to pack in that power. I mean, a Golf R will go as fast as a Jag. I'll take the Jag.

Or something like that.

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #2,254 of 5,671
Just for the sake of curiosity what level should I be looking to set my Mac to? I've went for the 1x/3x option on gains. I'll be driving AKG Q701's.

And another question, why are there so many posts on this thread where the poster has been banned and why are there so many people on the net who seem to have a massive chip on their shoulders about this amp? I can't wait for its delivery.

Mar 26, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #2,257 of 5,671
An awful lot of how a soundstage is perceived is how the source was originally recorded and mic'd. and how the interim devices add and detract from this and finally the actual transducers that "try" to reproduce what was recorded etc.

We all notice how some recordings sound open and spacious even on the not so great cans.

But the same recording sounds even more open and spacious on those cans that reproduce the source very well.

If the dac and amp are really transparent and do not add or detract the original recording and how it was done, and the transducers play the biggest part. If the recording isn't done well, even if the cans are great in this respect the sound will not be that spacious IMO.

From wiki:
"The term soundstage refers to the depth and richness of an audio recording and usually relates to the playback process. According to audiophiles, the quality of the playback is very much dependent upon how one is able to pick out different instruments, voices, vocal parts, and such exactly where they are located on an imaginary 2-dimensional or 3-dimensional field. The quality of this soundstage can enhance not only the listener's involvement in the recording, but also their overall perception of the stage"

The only measurement that I am aware of is the Off axis response that is often spec's with normal loudspeakers that relates to soundstage somewhat.

A.

Mar 26, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #2,258 of 5,671
75% and above is recommended to get a bit-perfect signal.

Isn't that a bit vague? Why not 100%?

If you have an amp that's too loud, like the O2, for sensitive headphones, then reducing the digital volume is the only way to make things listenable sometimes. You probably won't hear a difference anyway. XD

Mar 26, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #2,259 of 5,671
Are
If you have an amp that's too loud, like the O2, for sensitive headphones, then reducing the digital volume is the only way to make things listenable sometimes. You probably won't hear a difference anyway. XD

Are there full-size headphones out there that the O2 would be too loud for? What about if you were using unity gain (1x)?

Mar 26, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #2,260 of 5,671
I'm not sure if this has been documented before, but it certainly caught my interest when I discovered it.  I have an O2/ODAC combo unit from Mayflower Electronics, and when I went to plug in my headphones earlier, I accidentally plugged them into the line in without noticing.  I started up some music on my computer, and tried to increase the volume on the O2, but to no avail.  Then it caught my eye that I had plugged it into the wrong port. 

From this, I made the logical conclusion that what I was receiving was the line out from the ODAC.  Since I've been using my O2 as a pre-amp for an extremely awful receiver (it has issues with audio dropping out at low levels), I decided to try plugging my receiver into the Line In port on the O2.  It brought me great joy to find out that it works great, and seems to be just loud enough to avoid most problems that the receiver has at low levels.

At this point, I plugged my headphones back in, and found that both the speakers and the headphones will play at the same time.  This means that I no longer have to unplug my receiver to use headphones and vice-versa.  It's also providing me with some really neat sound effects since I'm using a pair of open headphones (HE-400).

I'm assuming this was an unintentional oversight, but in my book it's a damn great feature to have, and I intend to play around with it a ton.

Mar 26, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #2,262 of 5,671
Are

Are there full-size headphones out there that the O2 would be too loud for? What about if you were using unity gain (1x)?
Yeah the K 701 is fine with the unity gain and max digital volume.

Mar 26, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #2,263 of 5,671
Mar 27, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #2,264 of 5,671
You raise a point I've always been confused about. Does it really make no difference to sound quality what level is sent out to the DAC? I realise the volume level would be reduced but would the quality not be reduced too?

Hi,

reducing output level in software makes a difference when you're running a DAC in 16 bit mode because the dynamic range the human ear can measure is about 16 bit.

That's the reason why running a DAC in 24 bit mode is useful (unlike higher sample rates imho) - you can use software volume with impunity - regardless of the question whether your material is 24 bit or 16 bit upscaled.

Joachim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back