O2 AMP + ODAC
Sep 11, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #166 of 5,671
The standard, all-in-one O2+ODAC requires A/C power, doesn't it?

The JDS Labs integrated version has the batteries removed and this is the place where the ODAC resides.

Alex

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #170 of 5,671
Quote:
I believe even nwavguy himself would admit that HE6 is one of those rare headphones that O2 just simply won't power well enough.

Read his "More Power?" (September 2011) and "O2 Headphone Amp" (July 2011) articles, and the HE-6 measurements at InnerFidelity. From these, it can be estimated that the O2 on AC power would be capable of about 105 dB maximum SPL driving the HE-6 with correctly set gain. Therefore, his opinion would likely be that the O2 is sufficient for those who listen only to music with limited dynamic range (pop etc.), and/or not at high volume, but clearly not for everyone.

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #171 of 5,671
Read his "More Power?" (September 2011) and "O2 Headphone Amp" (July 2011) articles, and the HE-6 measurements at InnerFidelity. From these, it can be estimated that the O2 on AC power would be capable of about 105 dB maximum SPL driving the HE-6 with correctly set gain. Therefore, his opinion would likely be that the O2 is sufficient for those who listen only to music with limited dynamic range (pop etc.), and/or not at high volume, but clearly not for everyone.

105dB is more than enough for me o.o
I usually listen around 80dB...

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #175 of 5,671
Quote:
Me too! He hasn't updated his blog in 4-5 months and I am starting to get antsy.

Recently it even takes weeks for comments to get approved, so it does not look like the ODA will be available soon.

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #176 of 5,671
But even if the ODA never comes out, you still can get the world class performance at this price point "now"....I wanted to wait as well for the 1/4 phone jack and RCA connectors etc....

But its such a low cost for what it does....why wait...I modified my ODAC's to fit my systems and arrangements...added RCA's etc...

Its not that hard and you can find people to do this for you...

The ODA specs etc will be great I am sure....but I dont think it will be even close to an order of magnitude....

Enjoy now....

Alex

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #177 of 5,671
This or the new Alo Audio Pan Am. I'm not convinced that the pan am or any other amp worth $300 or up necessarily has better sonic quality. Then again I've never heard a $300 or up amp, only my Fiio e17

Sep 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #178 of 5,671
Quote:
This or the new Alo Audio Pan Am. I'm not convinced that the pan am or any other amp worth $300 or up necessarily has better sonic quality. Then again I've never heard a $300 or up amp, only my Fiio e17

Price is not necessarily a good predictor of headphone amplifier quality. You don't "get what you pay for" if the phrase means "it costs more, so it's better."

My Matrix M-Stage doesn't produce better-sounding audio than my FIIO E5. The E5 is much smaller and runs from USB power. The M-Stage has more gain and more power. That makes each of them better than the other.

Sep 14, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #179 of 5,671
This just can't be my imagination but the USB cable that comes with the O2+ODAC has a ferrite and I believe the ferrite filters the high frequencies. When I changed the USB (ferrite-less) cable, the high frequency came back. At least to my ears. The treble is much better, not recessed as before and the bass has more snap, punch, do to the restoration of the treble balance. Is it just me?

Sep 14, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #180 of 5,671
Quote:
This just can't be my imagination but the USB cable that comes with the O2+ODAC has a ferrite and I believe the ferrite filters the high frequencies. When I changed the USB (ferrite-less) cable, the high frequency came back. At least to my ears. The treble is much better, not recessed as before and the bass has more snap, punch, do to the restoration of the treble balance. Is it just me?

The phenomenon you're describing is an analog phenomenon; that's not how we detect problem with digital-audio output. If USB communication to the ODAC is marginal or failing, the result won't be enhanced or attenuated frequencies: We'll probably hear noise (e.g, clicking and popping.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back