O2 AMP + ODAC
Sep 14, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #181 of 5,671
Does anyone know why the ferrite bead might be on a USB cable.

This might help explain or understand what is happening or not happening here?

Alex

L3000.gif

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #182 of 5,671
Quote:
This just can't be my imagination but the USB cable that comes with the O2+ODAC has a ferrite and I believe the ferrite filters the high frequencies. When I changed the USB (ferrite-less) cable, the high frequency came back. At least to my ears. The treble is much better, not recessed as before and the bass has more snap, punch, do to the restoration of the treble balance. Is it just me?

There is no way you can filter frequencies from a USB cable because all the data that is travelling through it is purely digital, aka there is no way to modify only a part of it without having something "else" in between.

So, its your head. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #186 of 5,671
What is the difference between high frequency noise and high frequency audio signals?

Ale

The difference is the high frequency audio signals aren't really frequencies at all during the USB part of this process. They are 1s and 0s (sort of...rather an electrical representation of 1s and 0s). It's not until it gets to the DAC that it actually gets converted into high/low/mid frequencies.

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #187 of 5,671
So any possible noise from inside the PC that could be inserted or induced into the cable is twarted by the ferrite core on the end of the
cable that plugs into the dac....

Do you know what actually happens to the unwanted noise or errant sgnals??

Alex

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #190 of 5,671
Anyone use the O2+ODAC as a preamp (with headphone jack as line out)?  To two channel speaker stereo system or desktop amp?  I know it's double amping but many have done it with pico amp/dac and dacport.

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #191 of 5,671
Quote:
Simply magic....

A.

Quote:

Subscribed ,
for further question about ferrite which i may encounter soon,thought i already did read the whole thread.
I ordered an "affordable" O2+Odac combo for my new rig (+HD650) about a month ago (it takes loong time to delivery here in South America),anxious to hear some improvement!

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #192 of 5,671
antberg..

Congrats on your 02 and ODAC combo, it will be worth the wait and I hope you enjoy it like many of us have......for the price its a very, very clear, open and transparent
setup...

Alex

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #193 of 5,671
What would it take to move the input power jack to the rear of the unit?  Is the enclosure the limiting factor?  Can you just bridge the connections with wires?  I'm planning on building one as a first DIY, but I don't like having all the inputs/outputs on the front.

The wooden enclosure on the first page is sweet.  Makes me want to test my woodworking skills. 

First time to this site.  I'm fascinated.  

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #194 of 5,671
Welcome to Head-Fi Crispy,and if you are a labour class citizen,"Sorry for your wallet!"  
biggrin.gif

Although i don't have remarkable soldering or PCB assembling skill,i think that by DIY it will be possible to change the power or audio input for your device,which by the way is the only thing at the moment i would like to have it modified ,because the ODac is not transportable anyway so a back USB port would be more useful,nothing to worry too much,thought.

Thanks Adydula.
As i recently brought a practically new pair of HD650 from a Head-fier here at the same time i did order the amp+dac combo,my decision to choose the same combo from JDS came from the impression of most Sennheiser users who say that the HD650 is balanced but nonetheless with a touch of warm and quite recessed highs,so i though a clear ,more transparent setup would be ideal ,an i don't have too much money at the moment neither .Even thought there are many out there who did not like this combo too.Anyway if i don't like the O2+ODac combo (which i am almost sure i will approve) i can sell them easily with almost no loss.

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #195 of 5,671
Quote:
What would it take to move the input power jack to the rear of the unit?  Is the enclosure the limiting factor?  Can you just bridge the connections with wires?  I'm planning on building one as a first DIY, but I don't like having all the inputs/outputs on the front.

The wooden enclosure on the first page is sweet.  Makes me want to test my woodworking skills. 

First time to this site.  I'm fascinated.  

The strategy most take is to face the PCB backwards in a larger enclosure.  This puts everything on the back side, like the power jack, input jack, etc.  Then just mount the headphone jack and volume potentiometer to the front side (maybe the LED too) and wire them back to the PCB.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back