O.J. Simpson.
Nov 16, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #31 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
If there was ever a reason to get rid of the Double Jeopardy Law, this would be it...

Personally, I think that law is a joke. IMO, of course...

Uhh, that would be dangerous...

There's a reason why double jeopardy protection is in the Fifth Amendment. I mean you remove that protection, why bother to try someone twice? Guilty or not, an aggressive (or corrupt) prosecutor could keep someone in court until the end of time. That's why the protection exists. It also keeps the state honest and forces them to prosecute only when they believe they can get a conviction.

Nov 16, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #32 of 94
The book cover.... (they didn't even bother to put the author's name)

0061238287.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V36292641_.jpg

Nov 20, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #33 of 94
This morning I heard on the news that the TV special was cancelled by Fox. Now I hear the book is being cancelled as well.

I know it's wrong, and I know he's guilty and a total piece of garbage, but I would have watched that TV show out of sheer morbid curiosity.
blink.gif

Nov 20, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #34 of 94
The really sad part about this is that people will buy it.

It seems like half the shows on American T.V. are about murder. People just can't seem to get enough "death" nowadays and Simpson is just serving up what the masses want.

If you buy this book, you're just as bad as he is.

Nov 21, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #36 of 94
Damn you protestors! I had Tivo set to record this thing already. Hate if you want to, but this would have been interesting and incredibly unique TV.

I see little difference between this and any of those shows such as 20/20 or Dateline where they often get in-depth interviews with serial killers about their crimes.....assuming you believe OJ is guilty. Which many of you clearly do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you buy this book, you're just as bad as he is.

Fantastic. Almost signature worthy.....almost.

Nov 21, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #37 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravitas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see little difference between this and any of those shows such as 20/20 or Dateline where they often get in-depth interviews with serial killers about their crimes...

The difference is he wasn't convicted and was seemingly gloating and certainly trying to profit.

Nov 21, 2006 at 1:35 PM Post #38 of 94
Quote:

Damn you protestors! I had Tivo set to record this thing already. Hate if you want to, but this would have been interesting and incredibly unique TV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The difference is he wasn't convicted and was seemingly gloating and certainly trying to profit.

He was found innocent of a crime. But the crime was hideous and disgusting and the families of the people who were murdered then have to face up to this coming up again as the man who many believe committed this disgusting crime that has never been solved. Don't the families of the victims have a right for their sorrow to try and be put behind them so that they can move on with their lives and not have to have it all reminded once more? Especially from the man that they believe did it.

Also ... after he lost the civil court case brought against him he was ordered to pay damages - which he hasn't paid as the money that he has coming to him from his NFL pension cannot be touched and they are unable to force him to sell his house either. A lawyer pointed out in a British tabloid that it wouldn't be that hard either for him to be able to get paid from the book and from the TV show in such a way that he wouldn't be forced to pay for the civil court case liabilities that he should.

So now he's not only dragging up the past and tormenting the familes again but possibly gaining financial profit from it in such a way that he won't have to pay the court case that he lost.

To me that sounds like good enough reasons to stop this before it starts whether you believe that he's guilty or not.

Quote:

I see little difference between this and any of those shows such as 20/20 or Dateline where they often get in-depth interviews with serial killers about their crimes.....assuming you believe OJ is guilty. Which many of you clearly do.

I don't know how things work in USA compared to the UK but whenever someone makes a book or TV appearance or whatever who is a convicted criminal they are unable to profit from their time or their crime. They can write a book and it can be published but they aren't able to make any money from it.

However OJ was found innocent so he would be able to (assuming that a similar kind of rule is in place in the States)

Nov 22, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #40 of 94
Um people he was found by the court to be "not Guilty" so umm...

going with that and the crap he delt with and the money he paid out to the families...

I dont blame him for the book..make the money if you can..

I am not saying its rite or wrong but I would not do it if I were him. then again I would admit to wearing the Bruno Magli shoes and would never call them "ugly Ass shoes" anyway..thats just me..lol

Nov 22, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #42 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um people he was found by the court to be "not Guilty" so umm...

going with that and the crap he delt with and the money he paid out to the families...

I dont blame him for the book..make the money if you can..

I am not saying its rite or wrong but I would not do it if I were him. then again I would admit to wearing the Bruno Magli shoes and would never call them "ugly Ass shoes" anyway..thats just me..lol

From what I have heard, OJ has paid the families ZILCH. Also, keep in mind he was found not guilty by people who have no ears, eyes, or brains. That always makes me laugh... not guilty. Like our justice system is infallible, HA!!!

Nov 22, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #43 of 94
Telling, how even the vaguest opinions on the O.J. trial can seem reactive. The phantoms of collective prejudice haunt nearly everything written or said about the defendant and the murder victims -- racism, sexism and class hatred (and, in Goldman's case, anti-Semitism) -- and taint every side of every legitimate question.

All of that is an immense distraction when contemplating the dynamics of the trial: the credulous jury, the virtuosic Johnny Cochran (who remains the best athlete in that historic courtroom) and the pharisaical self-absorption of the prosecutors (F. Lee Bailey's being the foulest example, Darden's, the most tragic).

Our friend in the U.K. seems to confuse Simpson's legal acquittal with the idea that his guiltless status must be accepted as an intuited truth. Not so. Many American citizens, presented with the same evidence as Simpson's jury, would not have reached the same verdict. Even now, said citizens have the right to assert their views on the matter without being accused of contradicting the legal system. What's more, transcripts of the trial are available.

In theory, jury decisions in American courts should reflect the impartial judgment of randomly selected citizens, not trumpet the divine authority of a chance consensus. Courtroom exoneration has nothing to do with manifest innocence.

Which is why, had I been a member of said jury, I'd have judged Simpson literally guilty but legally innocent. That is, I'd have felt the evidence strongly indicated Simpson's guilt but proved insufficient to convict him technically. Beyond a reasonable doubt means beyond unreasonable certainty. It also means beyond all formidable loop-holes.

Besides, my sense that Simpson is probably guilty has nothing to do with my observation that he's a sociopath: many sociopaths never murder anyone. Rather, it's Simpson's public behavior which leads me to that conclusion.

As a little boy, I happened to know a clinical sociopath (my father's business partner and the father of three of my playmates). This left me with a keen interest in the subject; I've been drawn to abnormal psychology all my life. Also: My sister is a therapist and both my cousin and nephew are psychologists. We've tended to bleat the lingo in casual conversation.

Simpson's oddly culpable behavior, ass-mantling yet compulsive allusions to possible guilt, perverse turns, inappropriately sanguine humor, theatrical half-mocking embrace of the villainous role, avoidance of responsibility for his own public behavior or any part of Nicole Simpson's death, chameleonic self-invention and overarching impatience -- all these, not the actual crime, suggest Simpson's lack of empathy, narcissism and inability to control his impulses. I say this not because Simpson fills me with disproportionate moral outrage but because I find his pathology fascinating, revolting and amusing. Even apart from what I tend to think of as his crimes, I find Simpson's behavior and self-serving strategies to be the stuff of inspired satire. At least his breathtaking shallowness is epic and extreme. At least he (unlike the Material Crone) isn't pimping a color-coded Kabbalah or feigning the desire to adopt African orphans (though the last would be grimly hilarious).

Nov 22, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #45 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrypt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Our friend in the U.K. seems to confuse Simpson's legal acquittal with the idea that his guiltless status must be accepted as an intuited truth. Not so. Many American citizens, presented with the same evidence as Simpson's jury, would not have reached the same verdict. Even now, said citizens have the right to assert their views on the matter without being accused of contradicting the legal system. What's more, transcripts are available.

In theory, jury decisions in American courts should reflect the impartial judgment of randomly selected citizens, not trumpet the divine authority of a chance consensus. Exoneration has nothing to do with manifest innocence.

I'm not sure if your referring to me as the person from the UK but I actually find it fascinating to see how our judicial system seems to differ from your own.

If someone is charged with a crime and found, by a jury, of being innocent then that person is innocent and anyone saying otherwise can be charged with libel for saying such things. Of course just because someone has been found innocent in a court doesn't mean that they are innocent as it could just be that evidence wasn't available or they had a very good lawyer - however the legal system sees them as innocent and so they are innocent (at least that's how our system in the UK works)

To be exonerated in a court of law is to be found innocent (whether anyone actually believes the case to be true and fair - well that's a different matter of course)

Quote:

Which is why, had I been a member of said jury, I'd have judged Simpson literally guilty but legally innocent. That is, I'd have felt the evidence strongly indicated Simpson's guilt but concluded that it proved insufficient to convict him technically. Beyond a reasonable doubt means beyond unreasonable certainty. It also means beyond all formidable loop-holes.

I've seen things were people attempt to do similar things like this. Certain cases spring to mind where someone committed manslaughter (murder without prior intent) but during the trial their lawyer has the manslaughter charge thrown out so that they can only be tried for (premeditated) murder. Now if it wasn't premeditated then they would have to be found innocent of murder even though they would be guilty of manslaughter and could therefore walk free. This would mean that even saying that they killed the person in print would be libel as they were found innocent of the crime.

At least that's how my understanding of the British Legal system works. I could be mistaken of course...

EDIT:

By the way I'm not saying that I actually think OJ is actually innocent - I didn't take much interest in the actual evidence of the trial and what was on show for the prosecution or the defence. The only thing I do know is that huge police chase that followed after him when he was speeding away which makes me wonder. I'm one of those people that think why would you run from the police as it only makes you look guilty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back