NYC Sony Style Qualia meet PART 2
Sep 12, 2004 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

lan

Videographus Supremus:Makes audio cables using super-advanced materials, like "some clear tape" and "some not so clear tape."
Date: Sunday Sept 26
Time: Appointment is for 12pm-2pm. Those of us setting up equipment will come at 11am.
Place: Sony Style, 550 Madison Ave. Map / Directions

Space: There's not a lot. There were 5 of us last time (excluding our host) which was ok given the equipment. For those who attended last time, what do you think our capacity limit should be?

Our host again should be Josh. He says he is looking forward to hearing the Cary
biggrin.gif

Antendee and Equipment list:
- bozebuttons (Meitner DAC6e+Philips SACD1000 as transport, Cary 300SEI, HP1, PS1, R10, Supra, Melos Maestro)
- Jahn (Toshiba 3960, SR71, video camera to watch DVDs, Solo amp)
- jpelg (ER4P)
- lan (ER6i, SuperDual, K1000, powercords)
- Romanee (K501)
- CD3000 (CD3000, PPA)
- meech (555ES, Singlepower Maestro)
- ManiacSmile (RKV, HD650)

--Lan

Sep 12, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Date: Sunday Sept 26
Time: Appointment is for 12pm-2pm. Those of us setting up equipment will come at 11am.
Place. Sony Style, 550 Madison Ave. Map / Directions

Our host again should be Josh. He says he is looking forward to hearing the Cary
biggrin.gif

--Lan

Josh SO needs to join head-fi. I'll make sure to ask him if there has been any progress on selling the Stand separately. Also, all you video lovers should definitely come - that blue ray projector is insane.

Sep 12, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #3 of 67
Well if I don't bring XR25, then we won't really have an amp to power K1000 but then I can bring power cord, power conditioner, and my DI/O DAC and NEC CDROM. Their source really needs those power stuff to get rid of that insane glare in their system. Having another DAC let's us have something else to use the toshiba with.

Sep 13, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 67
I will bring the Stan Warren modified SACD1000 this time instead of the stock one ,I will hook up the Melos to it.
The Meitner gear will source the Cary & Supra

Sep 13, 2004 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 67
I talked to Mikhail earlier today (my insane amplifier is starting to take shape....) and it looks like you guys will have a great Supra to try out with the 010. Solen caps for added bass response and I believe a slightly upgraded power section, among other things I'm sure.

as I've said before, I cannot wait to hear the impressions the Supra / 010 combo gets since my amplifier will be an (highly) upgraded version of that.

Sep 13, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #6 of 67
I don't have a handle on fixing a maximum participant number. Last time we felt the time pressure a little. With more attendees, it may help (if it's even possible) to set a routine for comparing the same recordings on each system with the same headphone rotation to try to standardize a few elements. I'd guess at least 2 or 3 more would work. I'm not sure about more than that. Of course we can include more by having just a few in the room at a time, but thorough analysis may diminish with a large number of participants. Perhaps those with more meet experience may judge better than I can what would be a practical limit. There seem to be some who really want to to be involved.

Sep 13, 2004 at 11:04 AM Post #7 of 67
Hey guys,

Any room for me? Or are you already at max capacity? I could bring the Maestro and SACDmods 555 as I'm only a qucik cab ride away.

Let me know.
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2004 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 67
Romanee has a good point. It sounds like this will be bigger than the last mini-meet. As was noted in the other impressions thread, the 010's are very open cans, and subject to the adverse effects of ambient noise in the room.

Perhaps we can give Josh a heads-up regarding the number of attendees, so that he can arrange for other Sony reps to give demos of other gear, like the awesome 004, to people in other rooms, while a few at a time listen to the 010's (& other audio gear)?

Sep 13, 2004 at 2:25 PM Post #9 of 67
a sacdmods555? hey i wouldnt have to bring my source then - makes my subway ride alot easier! hmm i could just bring my Solo and my DT770 then. i decided to go ahead with the Headphile recabling, so this will give you all a chance to hear some of Larry's work in action. i guarantee you that its bass will blow the 010 out (tho perhaps not much else!)

Edit - eh, I'll just bring my source. More sources = more access to the tunes! Plus if everyone is clamoring over the 010s, I'll be able to sneak some personal listening with the PS1 and HP1 on my little Toshiba...so yep I'll bring a vidcam for the dvds, plus the cans, and the solo - my back is going to break.

Sep 13, 2004 at 2:27 PM Post #10 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Romanee has a good point. It sounds like this will be bigger than the last mini-meet. As was noted in the other impressions thread, the 010's are very open cans, and subject to the adverse effects of ambient noise in the room.

Perhaps we can give Josh a heads-up regarding the number of attendees, so that he can arrange for other Sony reps to give demos of other gear, like the awesome 004, to people in other rooms, while a few at a time listen to the 010's (& other audio gear)?

Yep - i can guarantee that there will be folks wanting to talk to give impressions right on the spot, which is encouraged i'm sure, but if it's a nonstop wall of sound from 10 folks there wont be much critical listening going on!

Sep 13, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #12 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManiacSmile
If there's a spot I'd like to bring HD650 and RKV with Cardas Neutrals. I might be able to bring the 777ES, but that depends on the weather conditions on the meet day 8)

Hey if you bring an RKV that will drive lan's K1000 perfectly I've heard.

Sep 13, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #13 of 67
Since this is a focused small meet, I do think we should limit the amount of excess gear by thoughtfully matching sources and amps beforehand. We should just have enough to keep people busy. I agree that there shouldn't be too many people talking in the room as that will detract.

meitner -> cary and supra
sacd1000 -> melos -> PPA (is this possible since melos is preamp?)
toshiba -> SR71
9000es -> solo
555ES -> maestro -> RKV (does maestro have preamp out?)

5 sources 8 amps/headphone jacks. Hows this look? I think it's enough. There should be enough sources so that people can listen to their own music and enough jacks for enough people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by meech
Any room for me? Or are you already at max capacity? I could bring the Maestro and SACDmods 555 as I'm only a qucik cab ride away.

We could use another good source.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManiacSmile
If there's a spot I'd like to bring HD650 and RKV with Cardas Neutrals.

That's cool.

Don't forget your powercords and conditioners
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #14 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Since this is a focused small meet, I do think we should limit the amount of excess gear by thoughtfully matching sources and amps beforehand. We should just have enough to keep people busy. I agree that there shouldn't be too many people talking in the room as that will detract.

meitner -> cary and supra
sacd1000 -> melos -> PPA (is this possible since melos is preamp?)
toshiba -> SR71
9000es -> solo
555ES -> maestro -> RKV (does maestro have preamp out?)

5 sources 8 amps/headphone jacks. Hows this look? I think it's enough. There should be enough sources so that people can listen to their own music and enough jacks for enough people.

We could use another good source.
smily_headphones1.gif

That's cool.

Don't forget your powercords and conditioners
wink.gif

Ah my poor Toshiba is going to be hooked up to my SR71! In this lineup, I'll call it "The Poor Man's Rig." Feel free to listen to my DT770s on it as the 010s shall sneer at it! If the Melos can't get hooked up to the PPA, couldn't we use the Melos as a direct headphone amp, and use the PPA on the Toshiba? That way my poor SR71 can scurry back to it's travelling pouch and not be shamed.

Sep 13, 2004 at 4:44 PM Post #15 of 67
The Melos does have it's own headphone jack. I put the PPA there since it's supposed to have good bass and so does the Melos. I do think the PPA may work well with your Tosbiba also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back