NYC Mini-Meet 3/25
Mar 29, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #61 of 86
yeah, i can't bear to look at an HP2 right now, even in my avvy, until the HP2's right channel gets a looksee, so for now i'll stick to my STAX!

Mar 29, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #62 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
yeah, i can't bear to look at an HP2 right now, even in my avvy, until the HP2's right channel gets a looksee, so for now i'll stick to my STAX!

Hah, I knew it! So tragic though...

Gee, the DT770s just don't stack up to the HP2?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #63 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Man, this morning had another headphone nirvana listening session. It's like everything physical just disappears - like the music's just flowing directly to your brain through some sort of neural jack. Heh it's awesome.

What setup were you listening to?????
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oh yeah jahn, what if the HP2s don't get fixed???
confused.gif
eek.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #64 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan

Oh yeah jahn, what if the HP2s don't get fixed???
confused.gif
eek.gif

People start to die.

Mar 29, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #65 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
People start to die.

Strangely just the HP1000 owners...

Mar 29, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #66 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
Strangely just the HP1000 owners...

So I've finally got a reason to NOT have them? Woo!

Mar 29, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #67 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
So I've finally got a reason to NOT have them? Woo!

Well, we all gotta go sooner or later. Might as well live life to the fullest.
biggrin.gif

Okay. I am officially a flats convert for the HP-1. I know exactly what Oski's talking about when he says how resolving the headphone is. It is a high resolution headphone - I'm noticing new details in music I'm already quite familiar with through the 010 or SA5k. And there is a nice, full tangibleness to the impact which is what I think Ray is talking about when he says it's speakerlike. I'm very impressed with this can, more impressed than when I got the PS-1. But I think my listening has grown a lot in the last few months, and I wish I had the PS-1 here for direct comparisons.

Letsee, the nirvana listening moments were with:

iRiver IHP140 > Grace m902 > Qualia 010

Chord Blu&DAC64 > Dynamight (single ended) > Qualia 010

Desktop computer > USB Grace m902 > Musical Fidelity X-10 > upgraded T-Amp > K 1000

Heh, I know that last rig is a bit ghetto... but I was testing what the X-10 tube stage could do to soften the metallic-ness of the upgraded T-Amp. Man, it sounded awesome. Totally got sucked into it for hours.

Hmm, just got the balanced 010 cable in. Letssee what this Dynamight can do...

Best,

-Jason

Mar 29, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #68 of 86
Quote:

I know exactly what Oski's talking about when he says how resolving the headphone is. It is a high resolution headphone - I'm noticing new details in music I'm already quite familiar with through the 010 or SA5k. And there is a nice, full tangibleness to the impact which is what I think Ray is talking about when he says it's speakerlike. I'm very impressed with this can

Ah, the power of suggestion...
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #69 of 86
Quote:

wink.gif

lol - you gotta try playing video games with the HP1000 on! I was playing Black (a game emphasizing the visceral impact of guns, lol) and man, the impact was startling
eek.gif

Best,

-Jason

Mar 29, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #70 of 86
Quote:

lol - you gotta try playing video games with the HP1000 on! I was playing Black (a game emphasizing the visceral impact of guns, lol) and man, the impact was startling
eek.gif

Well, the only game consol I have now is the PSP, how ghetto would that setup be?
icon10.gif
I'll give it a whirl tonight.

Also this is the reason I really believe the HP-1000 should be driven out of an SS or hybrid amp. There was a recent thread asking about amplification for the HP-1000 and several people suggested tubes. I don't think typical tube amps or finesse amps are going to give these cans the transience, dynamics and visceral impact that'll make these cans shine. I know my EMP is totally sub-optimal with them.

Mar 30, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #72 of 86
Hey Gio,

These are all done pretty informally and pretty much at the last minute. I wish I had a bigger place, as I'd host more of them. But I'm always down for some headphone listening. National meet is coming up soon, you're going to that yeah?

Best,

-Jason

Mar 30, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #73 of 86
oh yes Jason, I am all set to go to the national one. Not too obvious for me being able to take an entire w/e day, so I am very much looking forward to that (but I bet it'll be messy, may be too messy ?).

Oh well, in the summer (when kids are away on w/e) I might host a meet at my place...I'd love to do that.

best,
gio

Mar 30, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #74 of 86
Quote:

Okay. I am officially a flats convert for the HP-1. I know exactly what Oski's talking about when he says how resolving the headphone is. It is a high resolution headphone - I'm noticing new details in music I'm already quite familiar with through the 010 or SA5k.

The greater detail is now called... the source?
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

You have a Musical Fidelity X-10? I didn't know this. Interesting.

Maybe Jahn could have KSC35 drivers put in Hp1000s?
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #75 of 86
Quote:

wink.gif

Ah yeah don't forget the power cords
biggrin.gif
The Quails on the Dynamight were uh. The ferrite beads on those cords were mucking with the sound I think. The volex was better even unburned to my ears. jjcha, keep note of the powercord things also because they will make a difference to the magic
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back