NYC Mini-Meet 3/25
Mar 27, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #31 of 86
The W11JPN really is something special - other than the L3000 it is my favorite AT can, and I've heard 'em all save for the W10LTD (and from Jason's description that can falls into the 10VTG, W1000, W2002, W5000 family - this is the lineage I dislike, though the W5000 is the best of that family). The W11JPN is just so smooth and warm, while retaining the detail of the others. The W11R is also excellent, IMO, but I need to visit Alex to compare the 11R to the 11JPN before I make any conclusions. However, the L3000 is still my favorite AT headphone

Woody Rankings:

1. L3000
2. W11JPN
3. W11R (may move up with head-to-head comparisons with the W11JPN)
4. W5000
5. W2002
6. W100
7. W10VTG
8. W1000

Haven't heard W10LTD yet...

You guys had fun - see ya soon!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I just swapped for bowls (rather than flats) and am enjoying it a lot more.

HP-1000 with bowls - blasphemy!
wink.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #32 of 86
Quote:

(heh, gotta colour it somehow eh?)

You're not english! Who are you trying to fool!?

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #33 of 86
Quote:

(heh, gotta colour it somehow eh?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
You're not english! Who are you trying to fool!?

Nor Canadian for that matter.
tongue.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #34 of 86
Quote:

I just swapped for bowls (rather than flats) and am enjoying it a lot more. It loses a bit of that flat tonal balance (heh, gotta colour it somehow eh?) but is a lot more enjoyable. Now I'm not missing the PS-1 so much.

You should also try reverse bowls too. However, as much as I couldn't stand the flats with the MS-2i and particularly PS-1, I feel the HP2 was voiced with the flats in mind. Actually I didn't think the HP1000 would be your cup of tea as I know how you like a big spacious sound.

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #35 of 86
It's all about the CPads.
evil_smiley.gif

joehp2mod.jpg

Mar 27, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #36 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
It's all about the CPads.
evil_smiley.gif

*sigh* You just have to flash the headphone bling, don't ya?

Mar 27, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #37 of 86
Hey, why didn't we use the c-pads on the HP-1?

As for the woodies, I thought it went like this: w10vtg, w11jpn, l3000, and then the other side being the w10ltd, w11r, w2002, w1000 and w5000. Though I haven't heard many of them, I don't think the ltd's get too thin or exaggerated, their ariness is really nice to have, almost a polar opposite of the jpn though. Like dave said, the jpn was before that guy got fired.
tongue.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #39 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Hey, why didn't we use the c-pads on the HP-1?

As for the woodies, I thought it went like this: w10vtg, w11jpn, l3000, and then the other side being the w10ltd, w11r, w2002, w1000 and w5000. Though I haven't heard many of them, I don't think the ltd's get too thin or exaggerated, their ariness is really nice to have, almost a polar opposite of the jpn though. Like dave said, the jpn was before that guy got fired.
tongue.gif

Different size for the pads, I believe.

Hahaha, actually the whole "that guy being fired" is jjcha's theory.

Mar 27, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #40 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
I'm listening now, and the k280's still sound terrible out of my setup, wierd.

AKG are fairly tempermental. I noticed the K270s were just bad in my setup but much better at NJ meet. Can't explain it.

Mar 27, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #41 of 86
Quote:

Different size for the pads, I believe.

Hahaha, actually the whole "that guy being fired" is jjcha's theory.

Heh, I like to say "retired". I've just got this image of this old Japanese guy being kicked out. But I'm at a loss to explain why the W10LTD and W100 came between the W10VTG and W11JPN.

Yeah, the W10LTD has a lot of the nice spaciousness of the W10VTG. The W11JPN definitely improves about pretty much everything from the W10VTG, but I feel it loses a bit of the VTG's spaciousness. It doesn't surprise me that Charlie thinks the LTD is airy compared to the JPNs. Maybe that's why I like the VTG so much.
biggrin.gif

Oh, and heh, yeah, I write emails like a bad Australian. Probably because so many of the finance guys out in Tokyo are Aussies. Somewhere along the line I picked up the habit of calling people "mate" tho I never say it in real life...

Best,

-Jason

Mar 28, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #42 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
You should also try reverse bowls too. However, as much as I couldn't stand the flats with the MS-2i and particularly PS-1, I feel the HP2 was voiced with the flats in mind. Actually I didn't think the HP1000 would be your cup of tea as I know how you like a big spacious sound.

Yeah, I also think the HP1000 was voiced with flats, which was why I never really tried them with the bowls before. With the bowls they do get thinner and brighter, but I tend to like thin and brighter headphones.

Actually the HP1000's soundstaging is unexpectedly relatively good for me. With the flats the soundstaging is relatively narrow/intimate, tho even within that narrowness it's got a nice sense of space. With the bowls the spacial cues are pretty nice, though yeah, it's certainly not Qualia spacious for me.

Lol, I was using the HP1000 while playing Black on the PS2 yesterday (with the Grace as DAC/amp) and heh it was pretty fun. All these people shooting at me, breaking class, explosions...

Sometimes I do feel the HP1000 with bowls can tend to bring out a metallic quality in recordings that are already prone to that. It's nice to have the flats for a change.

Reverse bowls are interesting... haven't decided on it quite yet. My ears are getting sore from all the pad changing
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

Mar 28, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #43 of 86
Quote:

Yeah, I also think the HP1000 was voiced with flats, which was why I never really tried them with the bowls before. With the bowls they do get thinner and brighter, but I tend to like thin and brighter headphones.

Actually the HP1000's soundstaging is unexpectedly relatively good for me. With the flats the soundstaging is relatively narrow/intimate, tho even within that narrowness it's got a nice sense of space. With the bowls the spacial cues are pretty nice, though yeah, it's certainly not Qualia spacious for me.

Lol, I was using the HP1000 while playing Black on the PS2 yesterday (with the Grace as DAC/amp) and heh it was pretty fun. All these people shooting at me, breaking class, explosions...

Sometimes I do feel the HP1000 with bowls can tend to bring out a metallic quality in recordings that are already prone to that. It's nice to have the flats for a change.

Reverse bowls are interesting... haven't decided on it quite yet. My ears are getting sore from all the pad changing
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

So, Jason, it's fair to say that you think some newer headphones (SA5K, HD650) are superior to the HP1000, particularly in terms of price?

Mar 28, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #44 of 86
Quote:

So, Jason, it's fair to say that you think some newer headphones (SA5K, HD650) are superior to the HP1000, particularly in terms of price?

rats i wish i was at that meet to answer this! but as mentioned above, if you come from a SA5K or a Qualia or any other can that has really high highs, the HP1000 will sound muddy if you put them on IMMEDIATELY afterwards - that's just your brain not adjusting in time from such different signatures. But give it a few songs and the HP1000's presentation will start to sound so natural, that you'll never want to take them off.

Senns? Not fair for me to say, I still find them a bit boring. If I had to choose between the SA5K and the HD650 I would go with the Sony because it would make certain tracks sound awesome. Price-wise both cans are cheaper than the HP1000, even at the original 500 price, but obviously now that the used price has increased almost 100 percent. But you'll always be missing that special Joe Grado mojo that only a HP1000 can do...

Mar 28, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #45 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
But you'll always be missing that special Joe Grado mojo that only a HP1000 can do...

Somehow this statement makes me feel icky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back