NYC Mini-Meet 3/25
Mar 28, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #46 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
But you'll always be missing that special Joe Grado mojo that only a HP1000 can do...

Yeah, I had mine on last night and was still blown away by them. I've said this before and I'll say it again...the HP1000s are the most speaker-like headphones I've heard. Properly driven, the sound has impact and mass. There is a sense of palpability like when you listen to music from speakers. It is also so very balanced that there isn't really any coloration from top to bottom. It is also much more detailed than the HD650 and SA5K...and I'm not talking about fake treble emphasis type of detail, it's just subtle harmonics and inner texture. All of this lends a more life-like presentation where certain sounds will startle you because it sounds real (and not coming from a pair of headphones). If you want resolution and want to almost visualize the instruments, there are hardly any better phones. In fact going from a long listening session back to the DT880s made me realize just how uneven they could sound, how relatively artificially headphone sounding they can be.

Mar 28, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #47 of 86
I'd say something here, but after James and Ray's comments, I fear for Dave's wallet!

The HP1000 is a very special headphone. Mine isn't going anywhere.

What's really interesting is that after getting to like it more with the bowls, listening with the flats is a better experience for me. I may be converted yet on the flats!

Best,

-Jason

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #48 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I'd say something here, but after James and Ray's comments, I fear for Dave's wallet!

The HP1000 is a very special headphone. Mine isn't going anywhere.

What's really interesting is that after getting to like it more with the bowls, listening with the flats is a better experience for me. I may be converted yet on the flats!

Best,

-Jason

*sigh* I fear for my wallet too. Good thing HP1000 are few and far between... I'm pretty sure I'd buy one outright if someone offered.

Mar 29, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #49 of 86
I'm wondering would you guys happen to drink water from the tap? Because I drink filtered and bottled and I'm trying to figure out why you guys like HP1000s that much and I don't.
biggrin.gif
Maybe there's something in the water. hmmm....

Hp1000 is teh most amazing but only on bozebutton's modded Melos. Every other setup I've heard this headphone is asleep IMO.

Mar 29, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #50 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I'm wondering would you guys happen to drink water from the tap? Because I drink filtered and bottled and I'm trying to figure out why you guys like HP1000s that much and I don't.
biggrin.gif

Hp1000 is teh most amazing but only on bozebutton's modded Melos. Every other setup I've heard this headphone is asleep IMO.

the left channel of my HP2 from my melos ROCKS!
icon10.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #51 of 86
Quote:

the left channel of my HP2 from my melos ROCKS!
icon10.gif

Grado's don't have much soundstage. You won't be missing much
tongue.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #52 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
biggrin.gif

Damned if I know. I do know this... I listened to that HP1000, then to the MS2i. The MS2i didn't sound quite right after the HP1000. However, I may very well prefer other headphones (HD650 and maybe even the SA5K now) to the HP1000.

To really decide, I'd need to sit down with the SA5K, the HP1000, and the HD650 for a few days. And it's totally possible my ears are clouded by the rarity of the HP.

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #53 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
And it's totally possible my ears are clouded by the rarity of the HP.

Ah, wishful thinking if I ever saw it
wink.gif

Best,

-Jason

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #54 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Damned if I know. I do know this... I listened to that HP1000, then to the MS2i. The MS2i didn't sound quite right after the HP1000.

Not to continue to nudge you over the edge, but I went from the MS2i to the HP2 myself. I first heard Jahn's HP1000 drivered SR-200 at my first meet here in NY and was really impressed. But I already had the MS2i which I liked and thought I could stave off the desire for HP2 with the MS2i and was largely successful for months...even had my MS2i recabled by Headphile after I heard MJG's at the same NY Meet, which made the phones even better. But the coup de grace was when Jahn brought his newly acquired HP2 over to my place for a mini meet and I had more time to do the side by side comparison. It was at that point that I knew my fate was sealed. Curse you Jahn!

Mar 29, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #56 of 86
Heh well, so who wants to help me secure a pair? I mean, I've certainly hunted off and on like every other Head-Fi'er, but you seem to need a SERIOUS connection to get these at around $1K.

Honestly, apart from the whole HP-1 nonsense, I can't believe how enjoyable the SA5K have been over the past few days. If a week goes by with jjcha's pair and I'm still digging them, I'm going to pick up some. They've really replaced the MS2i in the parts of my music library that I'd normally reach for the MS2i on... there's something VERY addicting about that treble.

Mar 29, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #57 of 86
I almost cried a salt drop when I sent these to Larry just now - the HP2s are my babies! But after the diagnostic I'm sure the prognosis will be good and they'll come roaring back!

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #58 of 86
Quote:

I almost cried a salt drop when I sent these to Larry just now - the HP2s are my babies! But after the diagnostic I'm sure the prognosis will be good and they'll come roaring back!

Eep! The right channel went out? Was that what you were mentioning earlier about the left channel sounding great?

Awwh, was the change in avatar to keep you from missing them too much?

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #59 of 86
Man, this morning had another headphone nirvana listening session. It's like everything physical just disappears - like the music's just flowing directly to your brain through some sort of neural jack. Heh it's awesome.

Seriously, I feel bad for people who never get beyond the harsh/echoey nastiness that the Qualia can be. I don't know what it is that gets beyond it. I'm sure fit is a part, but I'm not so certain as to what else is at play. Being accustomed to the sound, burn-in, or just being in the right state of mind.

Anyway, I think I've had this experience now two or three times with the 010 and once with the K 1000. And this was just after having an awesome listening day with the HP-1 yesterday. Heh it's like drugs.

Honestly, it's hard to comprehend how the HE90 will do more for me than this. Guess we'll have to see. This is probably why I'm so laid back on waiting for the amp...

Best,

-Jason

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #60 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Man, this morning had another headphone nirvana listening session. It's like everything physical just disappears - like the music's just flowing directly to your brain through some sort of neural jack. Heh it's awesome.

Seriously, I feel bad for people who never get beyond the harsh/echoey nastiness that the Qualia can be. I don't know what it is that gets beyond it. I'm sure fit is a part, but I'm not so certain as to what else is at play. Being accustomed to the sound, burn-in, or just being in the right state of mind.

Anyway, I think I've had this experience now two or three times with the 010 and once with the K 1000. And this was just after having an awesome listening day with the HP-1 yesterday. Heh it's like drugs.

Honestly, it's hard to comprehend how the HE90 will do more for me than this. Guess we'll have to see. This is probably why I'm so laid back on waiting for the amp...

Best,

-Jason

Good deal! I know you were worried about the Qualia's ability to do that for you again... great that it happened!

See, this is what I think was an important topic brought up during this meet. The whole "Eargasm magic" thing that just seems to randomly happen once in a while, you know? It happens, and suddenly you cannot for the life of you replicate it. Lan talked about it with his K1000, and he had the same reaction as I did after my MS2i gave it to me... trying fruitlessly to find it, then not listening again because you simply cannot recreate that beauty.

So what should it be then? Keep a headphone that DID give you that moment (and may do so again) or place your bets on headphones that consistantly give you an immensely pleasurable experience?

More importantly, if the old consistant headphones suddenly DO give you that burst of perfection (and you lose it) what do you do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back