NYC Head-Fi Meet at Grado Labs, pics and impressions...
Nov 12, 2003 at 4:36 PM Post #136 of 177
Quote:

Originally posted by erikzen

I then compared it with the Archos. The Archos is decidedly clunky in comparison. The interface is not nearly as feature laden and the controls do not operate as smoothly (I'm runing the Rockbox firmware). Also, the display looks quite 'old school' in comparison. The size of the display is about the same but the look and the amount of information provided makes it seem so last year.

"so last year." LOL I hear you Erik...I was thinking the same thing about my Archos (and I am still running the tired Music Match on mine)...looking at all those shiny, tiny new players...my archos seemed to be a dinosaur...but I do love the size of the hard drive and being able to fit all that music in my pocket.

John

Nov 12, 2003 at 4:37 PM Post #137 of 177
I totally forgot about that pad mod for the V6. I overheard you guys but was distracted in something else. Did it change the sonics?

I also forgot to ask skippy if he had any binaural CDs. That would've been a blast!

Nov 12, 2003 at 4:44 PM Post #138 of 177
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
I totally forgot about that pad mod for the V6. I overheard you guys but was distracted in something else. Did it change the sonics?

Lan-
First of all...sorry I vanished with the CD holder for your NEC transport there..I totally forgot I had brought it into the other room with my CD...I was trying to find someone to open it for me (yes, and I also wore the CD3Ks backwards twice) LOL

I did not notice a big differnce in sonics with the Beyer mod..but it was hard to tell under meet conditions....if anything the comfort level increased the psychological effect and in that way they may sound a bit better.
John

Nov 12, 2003 at 4:57 PM Post #139 of 177
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
"so last year." LOL I hear you Erik...I was thinking the same thing about my Archos (and I am still running the tired Music Match on mine)...looking at all those shiny, tiny new players...my archos seemed to be a dinosaur...but I do love the size of the hard drive and being able to fit all that music in my pocket.

John

Yeah, I have a bit of MP3nis envy when I see some of those fancy new players but despite the somewhat difficult menu system and the size of the player, I was surprised at how good the Archos 10 with the line out and an amp sounds. At this point, I'm going to stick with the Archos for sound quality and storage capacity.

I was also a little surprised that the Archos 20 that you have doesn't have an analog line out, only the digital line out. What makes the Studio 10 worthwhile to me is the analog line out so I can use an amp to the greatest effect.

Nov 12, 2003 at 7:37 PM Post #140 of 177
In the portable section, I grabbed a few of the phones that were there and plugged them into my aos PDAC. Plugged the Beyer DT770's in and noticed that they were really bright. Heavy bass, but it seemed the highs had a higher level than the bass. And i thought my SR325's were bright. Then I plugged the Sony 7506's in and thought they were really bright too. With less bass. The highs seemed less smooth too.

I did a quick comparo of the Sony D66 and D77. I liked the D77 much better, a more fuller sound and more bass. The D66 seemed very light and detailed, and that's not my cup o' tea.

Took a quick listen to Grado SR-40's and wondered why these aren't more popular. Liked them much better than my current portable phone, Senn HD 25 SP. But.. I am a Grado fan.

What I was really wondering was why I didn't see one person even touch the Emmeline XP-7. It just sat there. Maybe people auditioned it, and I didn't catch them. I used it out of the DAC section of my PDAC. I was able to switch back and forth between just the PDAC and the PDAC/XP-7 combo. Just the PDAC seemed to have more detail, but the PDAC/XP-7 seemed more liquid and GROOVY! I really see Emmeline gear in my future(not the near future though). And what's this? you can easily roll op-amps? SWEET. Maybe the Emmeline would have sounded even better had i not been using the Radioshack interconnects that were lying around.

In retrospect, I should have spent a little more time at the portable section. I wanted to check out the supermini, more XP-7 listening, check out the nitrus, check out the Mint tin amp, shoulda done more serious comparo's... and maybe brought over the Trackmaster, DT880, hd600 and heard how they would have sounded on my modest system.

But those R10's...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 12, 2003 at 8:24 PM Post #141 of 177
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
First of all...sorry I vanished with the CD holder for your NEC transport there..I totally forgot I had brought it into the other room with my CD...I was trying to find someone to open it for me

No prob. I guess that's why caddies went the way of the dinosaur as nobody can figure them out and/or they're a pain
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Sentral Dogma
In retrospect, I should have spent a little more time....

Time.... we didn't really have enough of it. Maybe the next meet can start earlier?
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2003 at 8:27 PM Post #142 of 177
Hi guys, I'm just checking in to this thread. I finally made it back to Cayman yesterday, and crashed until noon today.

I'll post my listening impressions later, but wanted to join the bandwagon of THANKS while I have the chance. It was a pleasure to meet all of you guys and to visit your great city. The 3 fondest memories I will have of this trip will be:

1) seeing Niagra Falls for the first time

2) seeing the Statue of Liberty for the first time

3) making it to a head-fi meet for the first time - but it won't be my last!

I've just PM'ed Bozebuttons to thank him for arranging to bring so much gear. Tom and Ken effectively co-hosted this meet and both deserve our heart-felt thanks. It's one thing to pack up your own gear and lug it around - but it's quite another to work closely with so many vendors to make it all happen. Tuberoller and Mikhail also deserve our appreciation in this regard.

---

"Maybe the Emmeline would have sounded even better had i not been using the Radioshack interconnects that were lying around."

Geez, and to think that I had packed some nice interconnects that never made their way out of my baggage: Tice Audio as well as Homegrown Audio Silver Lace, both of which mate well with the XP-7. These meets are so quick and hectic... I didn't think to ask if anyone may have been interested. Sorry about that.

---

jpeleg, what's this about "strippers"? I missed that part! Did you guys sneak out on the town after dinner? What the heck, I've seen strippers before, but not Times Square!!! I didn't make it back to the hotel until 3:30am... what a city!

--

Ok, so a few quick impressions. More later.

My favorite piece of gear, and the one that I most anticipated hearing, was the Orpheus. To my ears, it was simply sonic bliss with Grinch's KGSS. In many ways, it seems to capture the best aspects of the R10 and Omega II signatures. Of course, the listening environment was a limiting factor, and I did not do any serious A/B comparisons against the Omega II's on Grinch's system, but the first few seconds are what I will remember most. I was instantly captivated and transformed into a different world. But again, this may well have had something to do with my preconcieved notions - I should have bid higher, Tom!!!

The second and third most impressive sounds came from Mikhail's Maesto pre-amp with the R10's and from the Cary / Krell set-up with the R10's. Both were outstanding IMO and I'd have to give some thought to the differences.

I didn't try Mikhail's Supra since I have the SDS (old chassis) at home (the second one ever built - tom hankins being the first) and am familar enough with it and happy enough with it, and didn't want to be second guessing my SDS (more expensive than the Supra) purchase based on a 5 minute audition with the Supra in a noisy room. One day when I'm next in Denver (my brother lives out that way) I'll have to spend some time with Mikhail to give full attention to all of his new creations. It was truly a great pleasure to chat with Mikhail and finally meet the man who has brought such great pleasure to my ears these past months. The new chassis designs look fantastic, and it's impressive to see how far Single Power Audio has come in such a short period of time. This is definitely a company that is on the rise!

The only major disappointment - again, under meet conditions and in a poorly matched system - was the Blockhead / RS-1 combo. Yikes!!! We all know that 1) this is a great amp, no doubt about it from all that I've read and 2) this is a great pair of headphones, again - no doubt about it from all that I've read... but what I heard was a very poorly matched system that produced ear piercing highs that were too much to tolerate for more than 15 second intervals. To be fair, I did not give this combo a lot of time but I did try 3 or 4 discs to make sure it wasn't music dependent. I've glanced through the thread and see that others had a similar reaction to this pairing, so I don't suppose that I'm adding anything new. It's just that this was a big surprise to me, given the excellent reputation that both the Blockhead and RS-1's have. The Blockhead sounded much better with the HD600s and I would have liked to hear it with other cans as well. Likewise, I would have liked to hear the RS-1's in other systems but they were cabled for the Blockhead, so no go. I'm still a big HP-2 fan and found that they sounded excellent with everything in the "big toys' room, so this is not intended as a slam against Grado headphones by any means...

FWIW - YMMV.

(Edit typos)

Nov 12, 2003 at 9:48 PM Post #143 of 177
Quote:

Originally posted by Sentral Dogma
Took a quick listen to Grado SR-40's and wondered why these aren't more popular. Liked them much better than my current portable phone, Senn HD 25 SP. But.. I am a Grado fan.

I have to agree that I really like the SR-40s better than any of my other cans in the same range, D66, PX200, E2, etc. Unfortunately, I don't find them very convenient for portable use. They don't fold so they don't fit well in a brief case and they leak like a sieve. So sadly, they are relegated to my secondary computer headphones, mostly used for gaming.

Quote:

What I was really wondering was why I didn't see one person even touch the Emmeline XP-7. It just sat there. , shoulda done more serious comparo's...

Guilty as charged. I really wanted to try out the XP-7 but I didn't have the proper cables and I didn't know who's it was and thought I should ask permission first. There was so much going on I really got distracted and didn't check out half the things I wanted to coming in. Live and learn. I guess it's good to have a plan and try to stick to it.

Nov 12, 2003 at 9:50 PM Post #144 of 177
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
Time.... we didn't really have enough of it. Maybe the next meet can start earlier?
biggrin.gif

Or go later!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yeah try explaining to my wife that I need more than 4 hours to listen to audio equipment.
frown.gif

Nov 12, 2003 at 10:50 PM Post #145 of 177
[size=xx-small]oops![/size]

Nov 13, 2003 at 12:57 AM Post #146 of 177
Jude, you are the first on my list to thank for making all this possible. Your forming of our online community and continuous support of our hobby is by far the biggest thing to happen to headphone high-fi ever.

This was another great meet at the most appropriate place for such an event: Grado Labs. This place just exudes feelings of headphone nirvana. John Grado has become a good friend and he is a fellow audiophile who understands the importance of the head-fi community. He opens his doors and let’s us get the place to ourselves for most of the day. A BIG thanks goes to John Grado for his continued support of this event.

Ken (HighwayStar) - Thank you for organizing this event and taking time out of your schedule to make sure that things are planned smoothly. You did an excellent job as always! These meets are becoming larger and larger, your dedication to our hobby is incredible.

Tom (Bozebuttons) – Tom was able to provide lots of equipment and excellent sources for our listening pleasure. Tom has a great deal of experience and an extensive list of equipment. He’s been a headphone audiophile for longer than most of us put together! Very impressive stuff. Tom, thanks for the genuine hospitality, felt like I never left home, but I was more clear across the country. As always, thank you for supporting our community driven hobby.

Fred (Tuberoller) – You’re at all the meets I go to. I think I’ve seen you more than any other Head-fi member. It was good to see you again. You’re support for the head-fi community is legendary! I just know somehow that I’ll run into you at the next meet, a pleasure every time. Next meet, remember to bring your vinyl rig. Oh, and thanks for bringing the blockhead on the plane with you as carry-on!

Wayne – It was a pleasure meeting you. Your enthusiasm and involvement in headphone high-fi is what makes this hobby so rewarding. You also have some of the finest hi-fi equipment around. I have to get an Audio Aero player. You traveled all the way from the Cayman Islands to attend. Thanks for making the long trek up.

Aaron – It was great meeting you in person. Your equipment list is also making me jealous. That BAT player is awesome! Very smooth and detailed. Thanks for bringing your R10’s and being so enthusiastic and involved in our audio hobby.

Grinch – It was good to see you again. I got a chance to listen to your ZZZ built KGSS and Omega II setup, it was really very good. Nice T-shirt BTW.

John Medeiros: It was really nice meeting you. You brought some really nice portable gear. The portable headphones were great, very nice looking. That portable DVD player is on my holiday wish-list.

Jimmy, it was good to see you again. You really do look like Batman in person!

Canman, thanks for bringing the Wadia 302. It was a pleasure to listen to. Also, Jeffmeister thanks for sending the Wadia equipment and support our meets.

Lan, thanks for taking pictures. That camera is impressive! It was good to see you. Thanks for taking that picture of John Grado and I as well as high quality pictures of everything else.

Frank, It was good seeing you again. Thanks for bringing your gear and being as enthusiastic as ever.

Thanks to everyone who I haven’t mentioned for coming as well. Too many names to list. You all make this hobby and the travelling to these meets all more worth it! Seeing the excitement, true feeling of family and community is truly amazing.

There was so much equipment and such a diversity of amplifiers, sources, and headphones that I could have spent several more days just listening. This meet was more comfortable than the previous. Listening was easier, and the noise level wasn’t as bad as I remember, although open cans where hard to listen to because they require more quite conditions. I got to audition the HD650’s and I think they are a step above the 600’s but the pair at meet needed some more break-in before I could make a good assessment of their qualities.

The new Krell CDP was very good in the setup that I heard it in before the meet. I didn’t get a chance to listen to it at the meet, but maybe there was some type of lack of synergy based on the comments of that setup and the Blockhead. I’ve heard the Blockhead sound great at other meets.

Too many things to mention, I just wish there was at least another day to listen and setup. These meets require fairly heavy involvement. There should be more listening time for those involved in bringing gear. I’m just beginning to recover from the thrill and lack of sleep.

I can’t wait until the next meet!

Nov 13, 2003 at 1:32 AM Post #147 of 177
Quote:

Originally posted by Mikhail
Jude, you are the first on my list to thank for making all this possible. Your forming of our online community and continuous support of our hobby is by far the biggest thing to happen to headphone high-fi ever.

Nicely said and it's something I've overlooked. Jude's commitment in providing an online gathering place is what has enabled us (and inspired us) to organize and hold these meets. So thanks Jude, the benefits of your efforts are far reaching...

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2003 at 1:47 AM Post #149 of 177
Quote:

Originally posted by Canman
Sennheiser HD-650: (the new toy in town)
Sony CD-3000:
This is the 3rd time I have listened to the Sony, but these again failed to impress me overall. I finally figured out why everyone describes the soundstage on these headphones as fake. It is because although the soundstage is huge, it is unfocused. On the HP-1000 imaging is pinpoint, however in a small area. On the CD3K, imaging is diffused so it is not possible to pinpoint instrument separation. These are fun to listen to, but it is hard to find a system that balances out their brightness and harsh treble. Good headphones and a good alternative in their price range, but sorry sovkiller nothing to preach about.

(edited for space)

Sony R-10, Blockhead+HD-600, Blockhead+ RS-1, The Grinch setup (KGSS, Omega2), HE90, KGSS:

canman:
You are entitled to your opinion, and I respect that, of course not all the headphones are for everybody, but remember:
The CD3000 need a good setup to shine its best, if you heard the soundstage unfocused and fake, sorry it was not hooked on the right setup, I don't know which setup they used there and maybe it was an ultra-expensive one, but not the right one, mine is a real modest one, just a PPA, and the soundstage is excellent and you can pinpoint instruments easily, or maybe what you need is more time in order ot be able to do it, or maybe you will be never able, and you will never like it, this is always a posibility..........

OTOH I never take too much serious the comments from a meeting, as a reference is a good point, but nothing else, why? very simple, most of the times people are trying to listen what they are interested in, and the rest of the gear is sub-heard, or just heard for curiosity, also there is too much noise, and sometimes the setups are not the best for the particular can, despite the huge efforts of the members who organized those events, mainly because sometimes is not possible to get the best for every single can on earth on a meeting, it is simply humanly imposible.....or sometimes we do not have so many good stuff on hand to make all those good setups really shine, and maybe an appropriate source is not the one used, or was too bright, etc....
Again when there are too many good setups to put together, is very easy to miss one, or two, or many, despite the efforts or experience, and OTOH always one tend to try to listen more carefully the ones are out of our budget, just to have an idea, and you will concentrate on them.....at least that is what I would do it, if I was there, I would just listen the R10 and the Omegas, maybe the Orpheus, the rest would be completely ignored by me, or just heard by curiosity, mainly because those are at my hand, if I want......and the rest are not....just look above the setups you were looking into....except the HD650, the new toy in town, the rest are obviously setups to dream of...how do you think the CD3000 will fit there, obviously it was lost in space....now if you are comparing the soundstage of the CD3000 with those there, except the HD600 and maybe the HP-1, the rest are obviously superior on that, but look at the price tag also....anyway good impressions, but nothing that you have to be sorry of for not liking the CD3000, this is your preference, and taste....and if you like the R10 orthe Omegas better, I would do it for sure also...so no offense on that neither.....
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 13, 2003 at 2:01 AM Post #150 of 177
Jude
It looks Like your baby has grown.
Without your insight and effort this all would not be possible .
Thanks a bunch from all of us
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back