NYC Head-Fi Meet at Grado Labs, pics and impressions...
Nov 9, 2003 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 177

lan

Videographus Supremus:Makes audio cables using super-advanced materials, like "some clear tape" and "some not so clear tape."
I'm braindead now as usual after these meetings but here are a few pics. I'll post a link later with the rest and my own impressions.

EDIT. Rest of pics are here

CRW_2127.jpg

A small portion of the portable madness.

CRW_2159.jpg

A new sweet looking and sounding SinglePower amp.

CRW_2150.jpg

The R10 posse. Not bad being driven off a MiniDisc player
tongue.gif

CRW_2153.jpg

The most expensive headphone in the world.

Nov 9, 2003 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 177
lextek, you missed my MG Head
tongue.gif

Nov 9, 2003 at 1:22 AM Post #5 of 177
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
That Supra is looking good!

And you should have heard it. Mikhail outdid himself.

Thanks to John Grado again for having us, and for HighwayStar (of course) for putting it all together.

I didn't get to listen to everything there, but the new Supra did impress. A lot. I heard it with the R10s (what sweetness and detail) and the Senn 650s (I heard them with two or three amps, and didn't come away impressed. Most likely it's not the best enviornment to hear a new pair of phones, plus I doubt they were burned in, but the bass sounded bloated and vocals sounded very congested.

Of course, I'm highly biased toward Mikhail's SinglePower equipment, but the new PPX impressed me, too. It reminds me of my CPX3--warm, but detailed. And for those who complained about the looks of the orginal SinglePower gear, you should see the new Supra and the PPX--nothing comes close in terms of looks (and, to my ears, the Supra in terms of sound).

I also spent some time with Mikhail's prototype portable amp. He hooked it up to a Sony 25 portable, and it made really fine music. It was detailed and very spacious. I also liked the AKG 271`s with the Equinox cable. I was surprised at how detailed it was.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to hear the Stax equipment. I'll just have to wait until May.
tongue.gif

Nov 9, 2003 at 1:57 AM Post #7 of 177
OK, I recognize Hirsch, who are the other two R10 owners? Who brought the Orpheus?
confused.gif

Nov 9, 2003 at 2:08 AM Post #8 of 177
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
OK, I recognize Hirsch, who are the other two R10 owners? Who brought the Orpheus?
confused.gif

LOL, it's not Hirsch--he couldn't make it. The guy in the middle is Helloween, and on the left is Highway Star, neither of whom own the R10s.

Nov 9, 2003 at 2:17 AM Post #10 of 177
I can account for two, Bozebuttons & Wmcmanus. I think the other belonged to ManicSmile... but I can't be sure. LOL, if Hirsch could have made it we would have had a barber shop quartet
tongue.gif

Nov 9, 2003 at 2:27 AM Post #12 of 177
This was my first meet and I am a little overwhelmed. I had a ball. Best part was meeting all you guys. What a great club we have here at Head-Fi....just super people. I spent alot more time chatting than listening...but I think the only thing I missed hearing that I wanted to were the Stax. I also wish I had more time to yak with more of you guys but the 4 hours went by in a flash.

Many thanks to Grado Labs for hosting the event and Highwaystar for spearheading the festivities. And to all the Head-fiers and vendors who generously donated or lugged all the gear.

I heard so much that impressions will come later...in the meantime...here's a big file of pics I uploaded to my website:

Grado Meet

Thanks for a great day guys!
John

Nov 9, 2003 at 2:28 AM Post #13 of 177
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
neither of whom own the R10s.

They just wanted to cherish this shortlived moment forever.
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2003 at 2:34 AM Post #14 of 177
Wow... I'm dead. But I'd like to say it was a genuine pleasure to meet all you guys that made it for the first time. Thanks for coming and making the meet as great as it was.

Lan, great pics man !

JMedeiros, LOL, lotta great pics, I'm just going through them.

I'll try an post some impressions later or tomorrow. Gotta catch my breath, have a bite and enjoy watching this thread develop.

I've got a whole slew of people to thank, who made this meet possible. I'll do that later as well. I'm just bushed right now...

Again, thanks for coming guys, I hope everyone enjoyed themselves.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2003 at 2:35 AM Post #15 of 177
Quote:

Originally posted by HighwayStar
LOL, if Hirsch could have made it we would have had a barber shop quartet
tongue.gif

And I bet Hirsch never knew that he had a long-lost brother.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back