NY Mets Appreciation Thread
Feb 26, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #151 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perdictions on the rotation? I def think oliver perez and maine are in there.. for the other slots chan ho park/pelfrey/humber, what do you guys think?

Mets still have arguably the best bullpen, one of the best offensive lineups, the best center fielder out there ; ). Yankees who? ; )

My head was spinning a little from the free-agency changes -- I am still pissed about losing Bradford.

I'm excited, but nervous as s**t about the rotation, especially since Hernandez's , ummm, ARTHRITIS, has started acting up. Plus, Pedro is a crap shoot. Plus Glavine is old. Plus Perez is so hot-and-cold. I do have confidence in Maine. And maybe Park can pull a good year (but isn't he getting up in years as well?).

But, hey, we're still the team to beat.

Feb 26, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #152 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My head was spinning a little from the free-agency changes -- I am still pissed about losing Bradford.

I'm excited, but nervous as s**t about the rotation, especially since Hernandez's , ummm, ARTHRITIS, has started acting up. Plus, Pedro is a crap shoot. Plus Glavine is old. Plus Perez is so hot-and-cold. I do have confidence in Maine. And maybe Park can pull a good year (but isn't he getting up in years as well?).

But, hey, we're still the team to beat.

BS you guys are the team to beat. Your pitching is dreadful.

Feb 27, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #153 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by jPoDTGN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You from the area?

yep, if you can call Delaware an "area" (hmm, i guess it's like a 'burb of Philly, eh? how sad). living in NYC now tho, and it's a hard hard thing to open the paper everyday and see zero phillies news unless they're smacktalkin' the Mets
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #154 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yep, if you can call Delaware an "area" (hmm, i guess it's like a 'burb of Philly, eh? how sad). living in NYC now tho, and it's a hard hard thing to open the paper everyday and see zero phillies news unless they're smacktalkin' the Mets
smily_headphones1.gif

haha DE is kool. I'm sorry you have to be in NYC. I'd go crazy(er). I'm a Sox fan as well :p

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #155 of 167
Quote:

Why are phili fans so psycho anyway??? They seem so angry haha.

Quote:

i wasn't dissing phillies fans

rolleyes.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #156 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rolleyes.gif

cmon man, i meant no disrespect. Yet, in general, philiy sports fans do seem to be a bit psychotic imo.

Anyway, our pitching is dreadful? Yea, glavine sucks... geez all his cy young awards and all. Our pitching is young, not dreadful. I'm optimistic about it. Yet agreed, we are missing proven starters. That doesn't reduce them enough for them to be the under dogs (not philies). Get real man ; ).

Pitching alone does not win games, a good package does. Like it or not, the mets are the team to beat. Not saying they are going all the way, i'm not stupid... Yet, What have the philies won lately? The mets are a proven force in the national league. Philies are talking lots of trash lately, that was why i was posting about them... I don't hate them, I know how good they are also. They are gonna a much better team this year.

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #157 of 167
Quote:

Anyway, our pitching is dreadful? Yea, glavine sucks... geez all his cy young awards and all. Our pitching is young, not dreadful. I'm optimistic about it. Yet agreed, we are missing proven starters. That doesn't reduce them enough for them to be the under dogs (not philies). Get real man ; ).

Pitching alone does not win games, a good package does. Like it or not, the mets are the team to beat. Not saying they are going all the way, i'm not stupid... Yet, What have the philies won lately? The mets are a proven force in the national league. Philies are talking lots of trash lately, that was why i was posting about them... I don't hate them, I know how good they are also. They are gonna a much better team this year.

I think that we "psychotic" Phillies fans know from experience that one man does not make a rotation, and that you don't get anywhere in baseball without a starting rotation. You can say what you want about having won the division last year, but everyone knows that the Mets starting pitching is a huge question mark. Hell, you can't even talk trash in this thread without making excuses for the Mets rotation.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #158 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that we "psychotic" Phillies fans know from experience that one man does not make a rotation, and that you don't get anywhere in baseball without a starting rotation. You can say what you want about having won the division last year, but everyone knows that the Mets starting pitching is a huge question mark. Hell, you can't even talk trash in this thread without making excuses for the Mets rotation.
very_evil_smiley.gif

not an excuse, no argument. I totally admit it's a question mark. Yet, your starting pitchers are going to get lit up by carlos delgado, beltran, and the rest of the mets . All of this rivalary is going to make the wins much more satisfying. I admit it, the state of the rotation isn't ideal. When is the situation ever ideal? That's why it's a game. Nothing is guarunteed. That said, chances are the mets will be in decent shape. Anyway, the mets are still the favorites, can you admit that? If not, your kidding yourself.

p.s The mets have proven a good bullpen can take the tension off the young starters, our bullpen is still amazing. Not only that, we have really good prospects, the free agent market was awful, and barry zito's contract was a joke. Given our situation, it could be alot worse... We will probably acquire another pitcher in a trade this summer... If not, prepare to be shocked by how good our unproven prospects are when backed by a rediculous offense and bullpen. I'm not worried about john maine at all. The kid can throw. Pelfrey and humber need more time though. If all you can do is pick on the mets starters, then i'd say over-all the mets are a pretty tight squad. Also i think the fact philies players are making such negative press must be embarassing as a fan of your team. It's pretty obvious who has their feelings hurt and has something to prove... not the mets.

Feb 27, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #160 of 167
T. Glavine Older than the Phillies organization (well, close)
O. Hernández 11-11 4.66 Hurt all the time. K's are good, but too many walks.
J. Maine 6-5 3.60 No thanks.
O. Pérez 3-13 6.55. Helluva four you guys got there /sarcasm
C. Park 7-7 4.81 nuff sed there.

Glavine is the only decent one in the rotation.

J. Lieber I dislike him, but he gets innings.
A. Eaton Should be better then he's been. Hasnt been terrible though.
B. Myers Monster.
J. Moyer Did excellent once he came over from Sea. 5-2 with us.
F. García Always has been good. Minus the ERA, he had an outstanding season last year.
C. Hamels Record wasnt the best, but K monster, low walks.

Ruiz/Barajas good hitter and better defense with Ruiz, both with Barajas plus good leader.
Howard Nuff sed.
Utley see above.
JRoll had an excellent season last year. Hopefully he keeps it up.
Helms was surprising good last season, we'll see
Burrell meh. No comment.
Victorino is a monster
Rowand should be good to go.

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #161 of 167
I dont totally disagree with your comments about the mets starters, yet with all of that, the gap may be closer, but the mets still have the lineup to dominate most pitching staffs. Look at how many games they won last year, you can say the national league sucked in general sure... but the mets are pretty damn good. The fact steve traschel had won the most games with his disgusting ERA says alot. The mets are offensivly strong enough to pad him with enough runs to walk away with wins. Statistically speaking, the mets may not have the the proven pitchers, but they have shown the capability to win games despite tht, That is what it takes.

Anyway, i think the competition is alot stiffer. I'm excited to see what happens. The phillies have alot to prove and hopefully that, as well as their talent, will help them do something this year. The braves are looking pretty good too. I'm looking foward to some good games.

Feb 28, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #163 of 167
Quote:

BS you guys are the team to beat. Your pitching is dreadful.

Your comment is irrelevant. "Team to beat" is the honor given to a Division Champion.

Feb 28, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #164 of 167
Quote:

T. Glavine Older than the Phillies organization (well, close)
O. Hernández 11-11 4.66 Hurt all the time. K's are good, but too many walks.
J. Maine 6-5 3.60 No thanks.
O. Pérez 3-13 6.55. Helluva four you guys got there /sarcasm
C. Park 7-7 4.81 nuff sed there.

Glavine is the only decent one in the rotation.

J. Lieber I dislike him, but he gets innings.
A. Eaton Should be better then he's been. Hasnt been terrible though.
B. Myers Monster.
J. Moyer Did excellent once he came over from Sea. 5-2 with us.
F. García Always has been good. Minus the ERA, he had an outstanding season last year.
C. Hamels Record wasnt the best, but K monster, low walks.

Team Comparison
National League Pitching Stats, 2006

W L ERA G CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR HBP BB SO

1.New York Mets
97 65 4.15 162 5 12 43 58 1461.1 1402 731 674 180 62 527 1161

2.Philadelphia Phillies
85 77 4.60 162 4 6 42 64 1460.1 1561 812 747 211 62 512 1138

Feb 28, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #165 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Team Comparison
National League Pitching Stats, 2006

W L ERA G CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR HBP BB SO

1.New York Mets
97 65 4.15 162 5 12 43 58 1461.1 1402 731 674 180 62 527 1161

2.Philadelphia Phillies
85 77 4.60 162 4 6 42 64 1460.1 1561 812 747 211 62 512 1138

Yeah, I know we didnt do that well. We did do MUCH better after we got Moyer though. I expect the pitching to do pretty well this season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back