NY Mets Appreciation Thread
Oct 19, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #121 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by shawntp
ESPN Quote from today about Perez

"The worst pitcher to ever start a game 7"

...whatever - all the stats/history doesnt matter anymore. This is a GAME 7 to go to the WORLD SERIES with an electric home croud. Most of these guys have never even been in this situation - all bets are out and it just comes down to baseball.

I hope we bring some bats tonight and see some transformed players.

I hear you.

Look, even if Perez gets into trouble early, we have Darren Oliver for long relief, and basically the rest of the pitching staff (except I guess Maine) to join in. That's what you do in a game 7 situation, and Willie knows that.

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #123 of 167
sm_hi545.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #130 of 167
Gallant effort, lads. Who would have thought 'da Mets could have forced game 7 lacking their two best starters?

Getting singles from Valentin and Chavez in bottom 9th was a start, but top of the order didn't deliver.

As a lifelong Red Sox fan, I will echo, "Wait till next year", followed by, "Go Tigers!"

Oct 20, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #131 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ampersand
For $110 million, I'll swing the bat with bases loaded...... SIGN ME UP!

You are too funny...These guys stand there, typically, at the plate looking for a tiny blip of a ball traveling at 90 mph. Add to that, the fact that most of the Card's pitchers were throwing strikes all over the plate. Add to that that the Card's were mixing heat with curves and impossible sliders. Add millions of fans (like me) not knowing whether to look or to give up my HD595's to the baseball gods for just one more hit...

I think Mets were amazing this season...

Oct 20, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #132 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ampersand
For $110 million, I'll swing the bat with bases loaded...... SIGN ME UP!

lol

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

With all this talk about the starting pitching disaster, I find it deeply ironic that the starting pitching was better than a) the relief pitching, and b) the hitting.

They couldn't hit to save their lives. Wright, Valentine, and Chavez ended up batting what... .100 during the playoffs?

And honestly the rest of the guys didn't bat all that well either. Yeah Green and Delgado were pretty good, but take away the first couple games and Delgado's WAY below .300.

Oct 20, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #133 of 167
MOTHER****IN CARDS
mad.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #135 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
You are too funny...These guys stand there, typically, at the plate looking for a tiny blip of a ball traveling at 90 mph. Add to that, the fact that most of the Card's pitchers were throwing strikes all over the plate. Add to that that the Card's were mixing heat with curves and impossible sliders. Add millions of fans (like me) not knowing whether to look or to give up my HD595's to the baseball gods for just one more hit...

I think Mets were amazing this season...

The Mets were amazing this year. They surpassed everyone's expectations. Our young players look like they have tons of potential, and our veterans really led the team this year.

That being said,

It is a little shocking to see a 'PROFESSIONAL' superstar take a called third strike in the bottom of the 9th of Game 7 with two outs and the bases loaded. Even a little leaguer knows you have to go down swinging.

Now, i never booo players, and i thought it was really disgraceful of the fans to boooo beltran, matsui, and wagner all year. But this is not going to be good for Beltran. He's going to take A LOT of heat for this. I just hope he doesn't let the fans and media get to him. We need him comfortable and happy in NY to play well -- we don't want an AROD situation on our team.

Okay i'm done. Congrats mets. See ya next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back