NY Mets Appreciation Thread
Jun 19, 2006 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 167

gratefulshrink

Headphoneus Supremus
OK, I am totally superstitious (as many MLB fans are) so I am starting this thread only because I have had so much fun this season with the Mets. My ten-year-old son and I have had major father-son bonding this season, which only adds to the sweetness of it all.

I was only 6 for the 1969 season, but I can still remember the buzz. 1973 was sweet, and of course, 1986 was '86.

I don't know, but each game I watch just seems pretty exciting -- even those tough extra-inning and one-run losses are worth it.

I just have my fingers constatnly crossed.....
icon10.gif

Jun 19, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 167
HAHA I read the title as NY Meets Appreciation Thread

Jun 19, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 167
Yankee fan here but the Mets are the best team in baseball. They seem to have no major areas of concern IMO.

Jun 19, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #7 of 167
I am a die-hard Metropolitans of New York fan. I am shocked at how well the season is going! Constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop, looking in the rear view mirror, waiting for something awful to happen. Worried that maybe the Cardinals or White Sox or Detroit are better than the Mets.

At the same time, you watch the team play and there is so much confidence and smoothness to their play. When they are playing well they are the best team in baseball, even when they play poorly they are still an average team, which is not that bad. I haven't seen them kick the ball all over the field as in years past. In other words I've not seen them play badly this year. I've suffered some really, really ugly nights at Shea and it is really great to see the Mets put a good team on the field. They STILL haven't lost 3 games in a row!

I would make predicitons, but I don't want to jinx them. But I will say that this is going to be a great year. How many wins do you think they will have, Shrink?

I'm upset about all the bandwagon fans coming out of the woodwork. I was pretty proud to be a fan and stick with a bunch of losers in the past. But it does feel great when they win. It makes me sick to see Yankee fans suddenly switching allegiances. At the same time, it's nice to see some revenue getting to the ownership now that they are willing to spend more money in (hopefully) the right ways. I really think the Mets have learned from the Yankees mistakes. I'll have to see if Pelfrey and Milledge stay with the Mets to be sure, but I don't think they are going to give up their top prospects to develop a win now team. I think this is very similar to what the Yankees did in the early/mid 90's. As long as the Mets avoid the Yankees' mistakes, they should have a long run of success.

I do think, however, that Dontrelle Willis is worth almost any player in the minor leagues.

Anyway, I could talk about the Mets all day. The Mets mean as much to me as high end audio. They don't mean as much to me as music, but if I had to choose between my high end equipment and the Mets I would choose the Mets and listen to music through a crappy boom box.

Jun 20, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita
I am a die-hard Metropolitans of New York fan. I am shocked at how well the season is going! Constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop, looking in the rear view mirror, waiting for something awful to happen. Worried that maybe the Cardinals or White Sox or Detroit are better than the Mets.

At the same time, you watch the team play and there is so much confidence and smoothness to their play. When they are playing well they are the best team in baseball, even when they play poorly they are still an average team, which is not that bad. I haven't seen them kick the ball all over the field as in years past. In other words I've not seen them play badly this year. I've suffered some really, really ugly nights at Shea and it is really great to see the Mets put a good team on the field. They STILL haven't lost 3 games in a row!

I would make predicitons, but I don't want to jinx them. But I will say that this is going to be a great year. How many wins do you think they will have, Shrink?

I'm upset about all the bandwagon fans coming out of the woodwork. I was pretty proud to be a fan and stick with a bunch of losers in the past. But it does feel great when they win. It makes me sick to see Yankee fans suddenly switching allegiances. At the same time, it's nice to see some revenue getting to the ownership now that they are willing to spend more money in (hopefully) the right ways. I really think the Mets have learned from the Yankees mistakes. I'll have to see if Pelfrey and Milledge stay with the Mets to be sure, but I don't think they are going to give up their top prospects to develop a win now team. I think this is very similar to what the Yankees did in the early/mid 90's. As long as the Mets avoid the Yankees' mistakes, they should have a long run of success.

I do think, however, that Dontrelle Willis is worth almost any player in the minor leagues.

Anyway, I could talk about the Mets all day. The Mets mean as much to me as high end audio. They don't mean as much to me as music, but if I had to choose between my high end equipment and the Mets I would choose the Mets and listen to music through a crappy boom box.

Excellent post. I share many of your simultaneous joys and fears. And, of course, I went to the game tonight, and, of course, they lost. But not without some 9th inning excitment (i.e., they didn't die easily). We were out-pitched, even though Hernandez didn't do all that badly for himself.

I'm glad about what you articulated in your post, because I do see them as a very steady and confident team this season. That's somewhat new for them. I think early-on this season they had alot of those 1-run "heart attack" wins (and losses) and all those extra inning games. But then they seemed to settle more into a groove of jumping ahead early, and winning by bigger margins.

I love how Randolph is managing them; I love the young players (esp. Reyes and Wright) who are maturing very quickly, but still have speed; and I love to see some of the more seasoned players hitting the long ball. And Glavine just might be having his best season ever.

Anyway, I'm afraid I'm jinxing them more and more with each word, but I do hope to see them win over 95 games...
tongue.gif

Jun 20, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 167
The only obnoxious thing about the Mets is their fans.

The Queens faithful have an annoying tendency to become Yankee converts come October.

Chicago Cubs fans, being as noble, clueless, and pathetic as they are, have yet to identify their futile plight and join the White Sox hooligans.

-Matt

Jun 20, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #10 of 167
Lifetime Yankee fan. The only reason I root for the Mets is so I can watch them lose to the Yankees in the WS. That being said, I've been keeping my eye on them this year and have been impressed by their strong play thus far. The Yanks are stumbling along and need to fill the holes in their pitching (and get back some key players), but the Mets look like the team to beat.

Jun 20, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #11 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
Lifetime Yankee fan. The only reason I root for the Mets is so I can watch them lose to the Yankees in the WS.

We'll see, we'll see. Both teams were in a very different place in the 2000 season.

Quote:

That being said, I've been keeping my eye on them this year and have been impressed by their strong play thus far.

I appreciate your honesty.
icon10.gif

Quote:

The Yanks are stumbling along and need to fill the holes in their pitching (and get back some key players)....

True -- it might time for some of the younger players to "step up"

Quote:

... but the Mets look like the team to beat.

I couldn't have said it better myself
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 20, 2006 at 11:29 AM Post #12 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
The only obnoxious thing about the Mets is their fans.

The Queens faithful have an annoying tendency to become Yankee converts come October.

-Matt

I've not really seen this happen, but I wouldn't say it never has. As a Met fan who really suffered through some bad seasons while the Yankees were in the post season every year, I found myself happy that a team representing NY was succeeding. But I never became a fan of the team. I don't like Yankee stadium or The Boss too much. I get a bad vibe from their fans. I'm not a Yankee hater, though. Those Epics between the Yankees and Redsox remain among the greatest games I've ever seen in my life.

I am a fan of Hideki Matsui because my ancestry is Japanese. I also really like the way he plays. I also don't rub the Mets' success in my Yankee fan friends' faces. They did a great job with their farm system in the early-mid 90's -that 96-2000 team was predominantly home grown- especially in the beginning of their most recent run of success. That was a really good team! Really impressive pitching and a line-up that was balanced with each spot playing a role. Before Chuck Knoblauch (sp?) lost his mind he was a really great lead-off hitter.

They've made some pretty costly mistakes more recently. And yet they have two really good homegrown players in Wang and Cano. They are still pretty good, but there seems to be something missing (it could be their corner outfielders, but the pitching also seems cobbled together). Many believe that the wildcard will not even come from the AL east this year! So I'm not sure about their playoff chances this year.

We'll see about which way the fans convert come October.

Shrink,

One of the things that many people are saying about the Mets is how drastically the attitude has changed. There are not many remnants from the recent bad period. I also love how they can score and win games with different kinds of offense. They have power and speed. Their baserunning is unreal. The defense is solid. If they could get one big time pitcher in the front of the rotation the team will be nasty! I really would love to see Dontrelle Willis on the team. I think the upcoming interleague action is going to be a really important test.

You're right about yesterday's game. I never thought they were out of it until they actually lost.

Anyway, it's a great team. I hope they win 100 games! I also hope Ichiro breaks his own hit record this year. He's already got 111 hits!

Jul 31, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #13 of 167
...reviving my own thread to celebrate their 3-game sweep of the Braves this weekend.

I'm satisified with their offense, but I still get nervous about the veteran starters -- Glavine has been inconsistent for a month, Traschel can be bad, Hernandez is too emotional, and I don't know if Pedro has fully recovered yet.

Jul 31, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #15 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita
I think Barry Zito is in the works...

did you hear something recent on that? I was getting the feeling that they were not going to make any trades, and just stick with Maine (or maybe Pelfrey). They'd have to give up Milledge for Zito, as I understand it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back