NVA AP10H Headphone amp.
Jul 13, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #2 of 9
Hello,

I've got an NVA AP-10 H paired with an AKG K 701.
It sounds very good with acoustic music (guitar, piano ...) and female voices.
Very detailed sound.
My Cd player is AVI LAB SERIES CD PLAYER.
Output impedance of your player should be low ( < 50 ohms ; Mine is 10 ohms)
and you must use NVA interconnects (mine are NVA SSC) because preamplification stage is passive.

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 9
I've been using an AP10P (AP10H + speaker outlets) for over a decade now with many sources and headphones, including the K702s. The amp has a detailed, natural sound, though a bit small with the AKGs. The sound with HD600s was much fuller, but I got sick of jiggling the connector cables with those phones. I love listening to chamber and orchestral music with the NVA.

While I don't recommend ignoring NVA's advice on cables, I've never used their interconnects or speaker cables.

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 9
Its been a while since i don't hear anything about this amp. I briefly used it with some vintage Akg hp's a few years ago and it has a nice amount of detail, with a laid back sound to my liking. 

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 9
Not a great fit with the AKG 702, but I have the older version of the amp which needs higher impedance cans. The designer apparently discovered Grado so you might have better luck with the new model.

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #7 of 9
Hi ! me too i have the old AP10.
The sound has always been very natural.  But using Grado sr200 i did not like the bass.
Not powerful and controlled enough.  The Grados really need something with low Z outs.
I guess the headphone out should be quite high impedance.
I will try again with something 250 and 600 ohm (beyer dt990 and AKG 240).
I think that with the 600 ohm Akg could be a surprise.
I have just to go and get it at my parents' home.

Another try for the more adventurous would be to try to use the speakers out.
This is completely out of my ability anyway.
But with the right attenuation circuit it could work
Kind regards,  gino

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #8 of 9
Yes I think that headphone out is quite high.
I have a 2013 version of NVA ap 10 h
This version works well with AKG K 701 (62 ohms) and AUDIO-TECHNICA ATH A 900 (40 ohms)
But it works badly with DENON AH-D 7100 (25 ohms)

Jul 13, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #9 of 9
Hello,

Has anyone here heard this headphone amp, or even used it with AKG K701s?

Kind Regards,
Shane.

I use my NVA AP10H (2003 version which was designed for high impedance headphones) with my Sennheiser HD600 and HD6XXs and they sound great!

NVA owner, Richard Dunn, passed away a few years ago (RIP Richard), and the company was taken over by new owners - who have since updated the earlier offerings from NVA. The new AP10 is offered as an integrated amplifier with a headphone input (AP10P), or as a dedicated headphone amplifier (AP10H) or (AP10H+ with separate power supply). Base price for the AP10H as of 9/01/2023 starts at 750 Pounds - $975 USD + shipping.

Google NVA Audio for their Website.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back