Nuprime CDT-8 CD Transport
Dec 13, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #61 of 66
So I'm going to say it anyways. Because it reminded me of this problem.

SMSL recently introduced a Cd-player that is a real alternative for high end players. It is a newly developed drive mechanism with top load. No slot-in or flimsy tray. Just a thick pot lid. And it has a built in dac on par with the d400ex.

https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/s-m-s-l-pl200-ak4499ex-cd-player

There's also a video review by Thabamar and he was impressed by the sound quality. He also compared it to the d400ex dac.

There's another good one by Cheaphifiguy but IMHO he's not as knowledgeable. Well, the name says it.

The SP400 is a very capable SS amplifier, and a great match with the D400EX. In fact, paired with the D400EX, I prefer the SP400 to the Schiit LYR3, LYR+ and Hagerman Tuba.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #62 of 66
I didn't notice you have that Shanling already. It's very like the new SMSL. I thought it was a lower tier.

With all the different combinations and cable choices, you think this is difficult. He he he... Try analog vinyl. I just watched a video today by 'In pursuit of a perfect system'. I sensed a lot of frustration. He is a vinyl beginner and he built in his first MC cartridge. After a week only could he enjoy it finally.

Digital is a lot easier from a hard disk. I just transfered a bunch of albums from my old phone after checking if they were properly tagged.
I also bought new cables for the loudspeakers, full silver plated 5N ofc, braided. At first I thought they sounded dull because of watching Rose tube (YouTube w/0 ads). But playing some real music, (Air, Talkie Walkie from LP) I got some real air. Still sounds the same, the only difference is a few more strands silver plated and spades on the amp side io bananas.
Before that I compared 2 almost the same cartridges only difference being cantilever material and the tonearm. Boy, I never realised there's so much difference in tonearms. Control and spatial resolution.

Just goes to show how uncertain you can get from swapping things out. Sometimes it's as clear as night and day and sometimes it's your imagination. And cables are no imagination.

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #63 of 66
@pataburd I may be very wrong but I recall I had similar issue with Mytek dac: try to turn on your chain in different order and set desire upsampling in CDT-8 first, turn it off so it will be remembered and turn your dac first, CD-T second. In my case Mytek had problems locking on input. Hope that helps.
Unfortunately, this did not resolve the problem [regular drop-outs in playback when SRC engaged].
CDT-8 Pro SRC works fine with SMSL M400, but not with the D400EX.

Dec 19, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #65 of 66
I'm glad you trust your own ears. That's the best advice to the only judge of what is right for you.

I have the same now with vinyl. I get it why hardcore music enthousiasts (I'm avoiding the moniker 'audiophile') prefer different cartridges on different arms. I found that the reissued Blue Note classics sound better on one arm on a tubeamp (EAR834 clone) than another arm that has silver wire all the way to my Gold Note phono. Other records/music sounds better on the other arm. So many combinations... And the more you try the more you learn to trust your gut. Or ears. And the more you can let it go and just enjoy the music.

What also came to mind is; sometimes being and audiophile means being satisfied with what you made. The putting together and tinkering until it's 'just right'. That's exactly what musicians do. Only when they do it it's 'art' and when audiophiles do it it's 'stupid and they don't really care about music'. Isn't it both just a basic human need to feel satisfied about what you made?

And then just let go of perfectionism and just enjoy.

Feb 28, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #66 of 66
Sold the SMSL M400 [DAC] and kept the D400EX.
The NuPrime, running on the D400EX without up-sampling, sounds better to my ears than the Shanling ET3 running on the D400EX with up-sampling.
The NuPrime sounds much more open, detailed, textured and neutral, with better layering/separation, more realistic timbre and an overall larger soundstage.
Will most likely sell the Shanling, since I don't need all the surplus/extras that come(s) with that unit anyway.
The ET3 is a fine unit but I prefer the NuPrime, a truly dedicated CD transport that does the one thing I want a transport to do, and does that one thing commendably well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back