Nuprime CDT-8 CD Transport
Nov 13, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #46 of 66
Thank you.
I have been running the CDT-8 with upsampling off and it sounds very good that way as well.
Was really hoping to use i2s and upsampling to 24bit/768kHz, but the i2s wiring layout from the CDT-8 if off by one pin compared with the D400EX. Might get an HDMI terminal like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Jienk-Solderless-Terminal-Breakout-Connector/dp/B08XQH7SZ3?th=1 and try to reconcile the NuPrime and the SMSL. Maybe that will solve the upsampling problem as well.
The [Gen. 1] Mystique only has XMOS 24/192 USB in, so I cannot use the CDT-8 as-is with this DAC. Another option would be a USB-to-COAX or OPT adapter, but I'm not sure these adapters work for USB input.

Nov 17, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #47 of 66
A 0.5 meter AES/EBU cable just arrived and I am trying it out today.
Picked it up off eBay for a song:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1259364913...F_dkvptLtnMplQ5dA_Fk-hGrJhWyqzpy-kVTAoFodggI0
This one is by far the best cable that I have tried with the CDT-8 so far [i.e. Pangea Audio Toslink, MillerSound Coax, eBay OCC AES/EBU]: BIG, well organized soundstage, very transparent, detailed and resolving with essentially zero grain.

Just ordered the Shanling ET3, which has USB out [and will therefore work with the Mojo Mystique NOS DAC].
Hope to do an a/b.
VERY disappointed that the CDT-8's upsampling feature doesn't function.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #48 of 66
Have the NuPrime CDT-8 Pro running via Toslink into the S.M.S.L. M400 upsampled to 24bit/192kHz.

NO problem with upsampling as noted before with the D400EX(!). :blush:

Am listening to works by Bella Bartok: Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta, Philips Digital Classics, 1985, which sounds quite good: detailed, dynamic, transparent, full and "neutral". [I forgot just how capable the M400 DAC was/is. The SP400 pairs very well with the M400, too.]

Plan to stay with the CDT-8 for the rest of today, then swapping in the Shanling ET3 tomorrow, Deo volente.

Meanwhile, I am quite pleased with the NuPrime and have no desire to remove it. So glad that the upsampling glitches are gone--making a huge difference(!).

Associated Equipment:
Ultreasone Edition Eleven|NeoTech UPOCC 4x 22AWG solid core copper cable [balanced XLR]<--S.M.S.L SP400|Cardas Clear Light XLR<--S.M.S.L. M400|Pangea Audio Premier Toslink cable<--NuPrime CDT-8 Pro[Herbie's Super Black Hole CD Mat] . . . see Signature for miscellaneous sundries . . .

IMG_20231212_131626467_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231212_131633137_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231212_131640635_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #49 of 66
Swapped in the Focal Clear OG w/NeoTech UPOCC solid cores 4x 28AWG Ag + 4x 24AWG Cu cable, and things sound even better.
Not sure if the Shanling ET3--although much more versatile than the CDT-8 Pro in several other respects--can better the NuPrime with respect to CD playback.

Here are some of the pieces I am listening to:

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #50 of 66
Good to see it's working now.

I have the same HP amp, DMP and amp from the same series. Just not the dac. I went for R2R. I'm not using any of them ATM. Lended out my HP, got a Rose streamer and a final amp, Gato amp150. I'm not sure what to do with them. I'm more focussed on vinyl now and really enjoying it. Although Bartok is not really my thing.

Dec 13, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #51 of 66
Shanling ET3 vs. NuPrime CDT-8 Pro [day 2]:

The Shanling ET3 is now up. [Actually, I snuck in a quick audition late last night.]

Listening to an excellent 32-bit master recording of Bizet's "Carmen Suites Nos. 1 & 2". Toslink out, SRC set at 192kHz..

First impressions: the ET3's presentation is very smooth, airy, transparent and absolutely grain-free [am using the Herbie's Super Black hole CD Mat, too]. Tone is lovely, perhaps a little sweeter than that of the [subjectively more "neutral"-sounding] NuPrime.

. . . couldn't resist. Have swapped in the NuPrime CDT-8 Pro [Toslnk out, SRC set at 192kHz]. Everything sounds more expansive and fleshed out. Presentation is more dynamically and rhythmically nuanced [more "correct"-sounding]. Tones are perhaps a little bit drier, but sound more "natural" and realistic; that is, less colored. Soundstage is larger yet more coherent, with elements sounding less compacted/isolated and projected farther into 3-D space but still maintaining good sense of location and individuation. To my ears, the CDT-8 is more transparent and definitely the more resolving of the two transports under review.

The Shanling ET3 holds the decided edge with respect to aesthetics and digital media versatility. For me, however, for my ears, equipment and listening preferences, and particularly for straight-up CD listening, the NuPrime CDT-8 Pro is [easily] my transport of choice.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #52 of 66
Good to see it's working now.

I have the same HP amp, DMP and amp from the same series. Just not the dac. I went for R2R. I'm not using any of them ATM. Lended out my HP, got a Rose streamer and a final amp, Gato amp150. I'm not sure what to do with them. I'm more focused on vinyl now and really enjoying it. Although Bartok is not really my thing.
The SRC feature on the NuPrime is working fine with the SMSL M400. I plan to to reintroduce the D400EX and see if the CDT-8 Pro's upsampling problem persists [as it had before]. Oh, the irony if SRC won't ever work between CDT-8 Pro and SMSL D400EX(!): the former being the CD transport I decidedly prefer and the latter being the DAC I decidedly prefer.

Dec 13, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #53 of 66
Oh, the irony!
CDT-8 Pro sounds virtually perfect with the SMSL D400EX, but that nasty glitch/regular drop-out persists when SRC is engaged!
Will reinsert the Shanling ET3 for one more go-round.
. . . maybe a firmware update needed for the D400EX?

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #54 of 66
Oh, the irony!
CDT-8 Pro sounds virtually perfect with the SMSL D400EX, but that nasty glitch/regular drop-out persists!
Will reinsert the Shanling ET3 for one more go-round.
. . . maybe a firmware update needed fro the D400EX?
@pataburd I may be very wrong but I recall I had similar issue with Mytek dac: try to turn on your chain in different order and set desire upsampling in CDT-8 first, turn it off so it will be remembered and turn your dac first, CD-T second. In my case Mytek had problems locking on input. Hope that helps.

Dec 13, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #55 of 66
Just put the Shanling back in, but this time with the SMSL D400EX.

Much, much better with SRC at 192kHz and an AES/EBU cable. Less colored-sounding, less constrained with better resolution and tonality, nice immediacy. The Shanling sounds more spritely, a bit bolder than before, while improved in dimensionality. Still not as expansive, neutral or see-through as the NuPrime but closing the gap in those respects. The DAC makes a big huge difference here.

The CDT-8 Pro's Achilles' heel is its incompatibility with the SMSL D400EX when using SRC. Too bad.

Wish I had a working i2s cable!!! . . . for either or both of these two transports!

Plan to finish the day with the ET3 [and the SMSL D400EX].

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #56 of 66
@pataburd I may be very wrong but I recall I had similar issue with Mytek dac: try to turn on your chain in different order and set desire upsampling in CDT-8 first, turn it off so it will be remembered and turn your dac first, CD-T second. In my case Mytek had problems locking on input. Hope that helps.
Thanks. Will give it a try. Have tried tinkering with just about every option on both the D400EX and the CDT-8 Pro.

Dec 13, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #57 of 66
So I'm going to say it anyways. Because it reminded me of this problem.

SMSL recently introduced a Cd-player that is a real alternative for high end players. It is a newly developed drive mechanism with top load. No slot-in or flimsy tray. Just a thick pot lid. And it has a built in dac on par with the d400ex.

https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/s-m-s-l-pl200-ak4499ex-cd-player
IMG_2073.jpg

There's also a video review by Thabamar and he was impressed by the sound quality. He also compared it to the d400ex dac.

There's another good one by Cheaphifiguy but IMHO he's not as knowledgeable. Well, the name says it.

Dec 13, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #59 of 66
I know. When the problem is solved I show something that puts the whole thing on its head. There are so many attractive toys. But not telling about it takes away a choice that might appeal to you, or someone else. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back