Nuprime CDT-8 CD Transport
Nov 5, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #31 of 66
CDT-8 Pro intermittently skipping/glitching during playback.
I hold my breath every time I load a disc into this thing!
Looking for a firmware update. Do they exist?
My communication to NuPrime goes ignored/unanswered.

UPDATE:
The skipping stops when upsampling [SRS feature] is deactivated.
The glitch frequency seems to increase with increasing sampling rate.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #32 of 66
CDT-8 Pro intermittently skipping/glitching during playback.
I hold my breath every time I load a disc into this thing!
Looking for a firmware update. Do they exist?
My communication to NuPrime goes ignored/unanswered.

UPDATE:
The skipping stops when upsampling [SRS feature] is deactivated.
The glitch frequency seems to increase with increasing sampling rate.
@pataburd while I had some glitches and once in a while a track skipping could happen I never had anything like you and I have been experimenting a lot with upsampling using top frequencies. I would contact the dealer and request a repair.

I am not aware of any update, I have found some english forum with Nuprime CD players/transports topics and I remember that Nuprime would be active over there. I do not remeber the URL but you can google it probably.

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #36 of 66
@pataburd I would try to replace your CD transport, the dealer should handle it as this one must be broken.
Thank you.
Actually, I purchased this CDT-8 Pro used, so I am not sure (i) whether or not it is still under warranty and, (ii) if so, whether the warranty is transferrable.
Will contact the previous owner and see if there is a path, through a dealer, to have the unit fixed.

Nov 8, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #37 of 66
1699472131362.png

Am hoping for a swift resolution . . . a DIY at home type of fix(?) : )
Will keep you posted.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #38 of 66
Even though you seem to get the drive fixed, it still is a pain in the neck. And this just seems to keep happening with all cd drives. Most of mine anyways.

Nov 10, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #40 of 66
It's dawning on me now... The disc doesn't skip, the stream has a hickup every now and then. Right?

Even though you want it to be simply a connection a cd-player is made to work with 16-44. Oversampling to 24-192 ads a lot, a lot of data to a cable that wasn't intended for it . Spdif can barely handle it. For $300 and a vague fix I'd stick to non-oversampling and let the dac handle it.
Oversampling is just a technique to make it easier on sigma delta DAC's to filter out the hf noise.

Nov 10, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #41 of 66
Too bad the I2S pin configuration from the NuPrime is incompatible with the I2S pin configuration to the D400EX.
Funny thing, too, I was having no problem with oversampling for the first few days that I had the CDT-8 Pro.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #42 of 66
I'm not pointing fingers at Nuprime. The high data rate makes the signal vulnerable to interference and data loss and then the protocol (or language) comes into play. Parity, redundancy etc. While the cd-transports just has to read the friggin pits on the cd and tell the DAC what's on there. The dac then has to do it's work and interpret what it receives best it can. Oversampling serves NO technical purpose in this transfer of data (it just overloads the system). An R2R DAC has no problem handling Redbook standard without doing oversampling. That's just for the filtering out of HF>20kHz, and there's not a lot of that present due to how R2R works. Sigma delta works different and is switching on a high frequency which produces a lot of HF noise that is of a different, more disturbing nature. Oversampling pushes it further up making filtering easier.

I have several r2r DAC's that have no oversampling and no filtering AT ALL. I just removed it. And they sound awesome. As long as I don't go higher than 24-96 on the source. Yes, it measures like poop. When I throw on a sweep you can hear the aliasing tomes on the 0dB treble region. But that's irrelevant. Because there is no 0dB notes or overtones >10kHz in real music. More like 40dB down (I'm being conservative). You need bat radar for that. But the sound is much more natural and realistic.

Oversampling is a technique that is useful in the right place. And sometimes it's superfluous. If you want better; go to real high res source material (>16-96). 24bit is not HD.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #43 of 66
Might be picking up the Shanling ET3.

This transport looks like a much better system match, offering:
>(known) i2s compatibility with the S.M.S.L. D400EX and
>USB out for the (USB-only) Mojo Audio Mystique.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #44 of 66
Interesting. Shanling is pretty good with cd. I have a small drive that is a Shanling subsidiary budget brand (Tempo) and it worked just fine. Another interesting option is Pro-ject. But for the price Shanling beats it in options.

Nov 13, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #45 of 66
Might be picking up the Shanling ET3.

This transport looks like a much better system match, offering:
>(known) i2s compatibility with the S.M.S.L. D400EX and
>USB out for the (USB-only) Mojo Audio Mystique.
@pataburd this is quite interesting idea... I was not aware thet Shanling ET3 has usb output (few cd transports offer this unfortunately). I'm also sorry to hear all your troubles with Nuprime. Considering upsampling this was the best cd transport in terms SQ I had so far. I need to find time to speak with service about fixing mine and will report back.

I envy your Mystique dac and I'm sure it will sound awesome with most cd transports and upsampling may not be needed at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back