Nuprime CDT-8 CD Transport
Apr 22, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #16 of 66
So my CDT died in typical way: cd tray is stuck and can not ejec cd. I've followed Nuprime instruction to realse cd tray but after it still gets stuck evwry time. Any ideas how to handle it except sending it for a service.

Apr 22, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #17 of 66
So now we're 2½ years on... And problems return like the s#itting doves on my balcony. My Shanling has not had any problems since I never used it. It's back in the box for sale.
I just watched a YouTube video by Pearl Acoustics.

I like his products and his unique perspective. It's a 3 part down nostalgia lane. Very recognizable. But I've had a very tenuous relationship with cd-players. My first one was a Philips like a plastic version of the original cd100 and it sounded like crap. But it was finally affordable. Then I upgraded to a NAD, which broke a few years later without hardly any use. I think it died of neglect? Then I put down a lot of money for a Myriad CD100 (the cheaper, not the flagship). That served me a long time but it was almost killing my music hobby. Then the Chinese MHZS CD33 with upgrades that cost only a fraction but finally sounded good. Untill the transport started dying. I still have it, dac use only. I also have a 2nH Cambridge and a vintage Philips. They all have the same problem. So however nice this triptique, no more cd-player for me.

They promised us CD would last forever... It doesn't. They all break more soon than later.
I recently landed in quieter waters and I'm able to spend a little more now. I bought the Rose Audio rs250 streamer and put in an ssd. It can play from USB HD, network, internal, stream Tidal and Qobuz etc, and it can play 4k video (YouTube without the adds). And it can rip cd's. All I need is a €22 portable external USB optical drive that rips my cd in 5 minutes. Any CD. No errors and no hassle. Yes it's more expensive. Welcome to the new millennium after 40 years of misery.

I also bought new speakers and while listening to these Maggie's in the shop I requested the Nuprime AMG set for comparison. My hat off to Nuprime. Very nice. But they should focus on streamers dacs and amplifiers. Optical drives is asking for trouble. I still play lp's. Heck, I played a Hansel and Gretel mono 45 to demonstrate. I used to play it again and again as a kid and it's 60 years old, scratched, abused and dirty. And it still played like aunt Ethel was sitting in the room reading me a book. I only need to change the cartridge every 2 years and it plays and plays and plays... OK, I spent a lot on my TT but always upgraded while selling the old one. Not because it was bad or broken!

So to finish on your problem. It's a bummer. I would ask the dealer on how to fix it. Don't dwell on it. It's negative energy and it won't go away. Move to something that makes you happy.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #19 of 66
Why would you get rid of your cd's without backing them up first?

Physical cd's are just a medium getting obsolete fast. The content is often not that great due to 'less than optimal' mastering. I presume by 'classical titles' you mean good music undependant of genre. Music that is hard to get on other media. It's all about the music after all.

Oct 31, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #20 of 66
Just picked up the CDT-8 PRO.
Got rid of hundreds of my CDs, but DID KEEP all the Classical titles.
We'll see . . .
@pataburd congrats and have great fun with upsampling settings :) You will have a lot of listening to do :wink:

Unfortunately my CDT-8 Pro is now broken: the cd loading tray is getting stuck every time, there is a release procedure that actually works but it requires to unplug the device, open case and use a long stick to release tray. I need to find time to contact dealer about service. I loved it very much and I hope it can get repaired. SQ is great and the mechanism is very silent.

Oct 31, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #21 of 66
Thank you!
Yes.
A very "quirky" transport--which is what I hear from practically every owner.
I already have had to hard shut-down/restart my CDT-8 to get it to load a cd [not a great starting point].
Wish it had a deeper tray, so I could use a good cd mat.
Also, the HDMI pin-out on the NuPrime is incompatible with the M400--off by ONE pin.

Oct 31, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #22 of 66
Thank you!
Yes.
A very "quirky" transport--which is what I hear from practically every owner.
I already have had to hard shut-down/restart my CDT-8 to get it to load a cd [not a great starting point].
Wish it had a deeper tray, so I could use a good cd mat.
Also, the HDMI pin-out on the NuPrime is incompatible with the M400--off by ONE pin.
@pataburd you are welcome!

I'm currently using Audiolab 6000CDT, also dead quiete and no issues so far (in December it will be one year old). I have connected it to M-Scaler so I do not care about upsampling done at transport level but if you consider the price difference between M-Scaler or (out of production) Chord Blu Mk II and CDT-8 it is steal kind of a bargain. If only the quality would be better. I even considered CDT-10 for some time but when CDT-8 got broken and when I got Audiolab I've decided there is no point in it. I also had some issues with CDT-8 getting hang and the hard restart has been the way to go, I guess the software part is not of best quality unfortunately. On the other hand considering all the problems I had with different streamers I would say Nuprime from that perspective is a product of very high quality.

Oct 31, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #23 of 66
Correction:
The CDT-8's tray depth clearance is just enough to allow use of the (excellent) Herbie's Audio Lab's "Super Black Hole CD Mat". These mats make a significant positive difference in terms of further reducing glare and improving overall focus.

Presentation is detailed, well-organized and spacious, albeit a bit bright. NOTE: I am using an older MAC Audio digital power cable and a Pangea Audio toslink cable for digital out which, at least in my mind, are not optimal (e.g. the optical cable is restricted to passing 192kHz signals, while all other digital inputs on the M400 will pass up to 768kHz). My USB connection (for streaming) is notably superior, but benefits from a USB Disruptor, the Wyred4Sound Recovery and an iPower X power supply upgrade.

If anyone has a recommendation for a good digital cable, please pass it on. I am considering a WireWorld AES cable. Just wish the HDMI connection would work--if only to say "I gave it a try". Yet another puzzling (and exasperating) NuPrime "quirk".

Aside from that, the NuPrime seems like a nice solid piece of equipment, prior, present and future nail-biting notwithstanding.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #24 of 66
Just dug up an ancient 1 meter MillerSound digital coax cable. This cable was built by local [PA] audiophile legend, Bill LeGall, back in 1998, fabricated with silver-clad solid-core aluminum wire, sleeved in/shielded with solid copper conduit, terminated with locking WBT connectors and is--understandably--extremely stiff/unwieldy.

This cable looks just a bit comical as it is wound up in a pretzel-like coil connecting the CDT-8 to the M400, but sounds appreciably better than the Pangea optical cable. The MillerSound offers a much vaster, more cleanly demarcated soundstage; more credible timbre(s); significantly greater transparency; and is practically grain-free.

IMG_20231031_162307590_HDR.jpg

Oddly, though, one can only upsample to 24/192 with this cable, although the CDT-8 is specced out to 24/768 via coax according to the user's manual.

In summary, this cable has made the audio quality of the CDT-8, via coax, competitive with the tweaked-out USB connection.

Now this is getting very interesting!

:beerchug:

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #25 of 66
I don't want to be negative about Nuprime, that would be unfair. I was set on switching to Nuprime amps but I'm glad I didn't. And this hassle with broken cd-transports... I'm so fed up with broken high end cd-players. For the price you pay it shouldn't happen.

I just bought a $22 USB cd-player and it works just fine for ripping to my Rose streamer. After that I never have to use the cd again. No need arguing over soundquality since most cd's are victims of the loudness wars anyways. Real high resolution files and vinyl beat cd by a mile. That is; if the mastering is done properly. I just ripped a CD that came with the special edition of Robert Miles - Dreamland. Done in 5 minutes.

About the amplifiers: I listened to the Nuprime AMG set when I bought a pair of Magnepans. As everybody keeps saying magnepans need a lot of power. So I had this prepared as the next upgrade for my little 40W €300 Chinese translinear current amp. I listened to the newly arrived LRS+ and a pair of used 0.7's (price was similar). On the 'little' LRS+ the Nuprime AMG showed it's power. It was fast, clear, deep and tight. My little amp sounded like it ran out of steam on very high volumes and bass was a bit loose. There was not that much deep bass anyway on the LRS+ (below 60Hz).
Then we switched to the 0.7 I own now. The tables turned completely. We started with the AMG set. Wow, the room filled with bass. But the 'neutral' soundsignature stayed. I'm not saying digital amps sound bad or clinical. I have several cheaper ones that I like a lot. So I'm all for digital amps. But I also have many tube-amps. My little Chinese transistor amp really shouldn't be my 'thing'. But when we connected it to the 0.7 everything snapped into place. We had a blast. The single VU-meter looked like a windscreenwiper in a monsoon but not a cringe. It was LOUD. Infected mushroom - Army of Mushrooms. Electronic bass was fast, full and heavy. Soundscapes wide and deep with great detail and resolution. It sounded absolutely fabulous with anything I had on my DAP (I also brought my own R2R DAC).
Just to prove that sweeping general statements often fall flat. My amp is just 70W in 4 ohms, 40W in 8. And the 0.7 is easier to drive than the LRS+ but has a lot more bass power and extension. I can do without subwoofers in most situations. In my home it's is even on the bass heavy side. With a supposedly severely underpowered amp. But I really don't need or want the Nuprime set anymore. It's not for me.
I also noticed the Maggies are fine with cd quality. But it really holds back the realism and sense of 'being present in the room' with my vinyl setup. I didn't see that coming. So I'm using my own speakers again. Until I modify the input filters of the Maggies.

Another audiophile saying that makes much more sense is: it's all about synergy. So in this light, a cd-drive could make sense. But from a practical sense: no thanks. Plus that I've maintainded since the introduction of the cd that vinyl sounds better anyway. Strangely I've never had one lp that was stuck in the player.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #27 of 66
300-400 medieval, period, renaissance, baroque, classical, romantic, impressionist, etc., CDs were reason enough for me to rationalize acquisition of the CDT-8 Pro.
. . . call me irresponsible/sentimental/anachronistic . . .
:beerchug:

Oct 31, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #28 of 66
Ha!
Just realized that I had the directional MillerSound coax cable routed backwards. After correctly reorienting the cable, everything sounds uniformly better.
Wow! This cable is literally 25 years old but sounds fantastic! . . . extremely quiet, exquisitely detailed, virtually limitless in expanse . . . Blows away the Pangea optical cable.

The man that sold me the MillerSound cable was the same man with whom I traded the family cow for a small sack of curious colored beans. :relieved:

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #29 of 66
Why would you get rid of your cd's without backing them up first?

Physical cd's are just a medium getting obsolete fast. The content is often not that great due to 'less than optimal' mastering. I presume by 'classical titles' you mean good music undependant of genre. Music that is hard to get on other media. It's all about the music after all.
It was, admittedly, a regrettable act, done in a fit of frustration attributable to the stress of moving.
Yes. Wish I had ripped and saved these CDs, starting about 20 years ago--ditto for my collection of martial arts films.
However, I did retain the crème de la crème and hope to critically/appreciably cycle through these discs, Deo volente, before my departure from this world.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #30 of 66
Don't worry, the good thing about cd's is that they are easy to rip and share. Even the ones you think are hard to find are often shared by enthousiast. Especially old music. There's that thing called Google that'll help you find stuff if you type in the title plus 'flac', 'lossless' or 'torrent'. I have a lot of that stuff on lp and as flacs. That's why I love my streamer as I can access it from the hard-drive. I put all of that on a 2TB ext HD. Just plug and play. No cd's needed anymore. Just make a backup for safe keeping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back